Timor Gazetteer

Coordinating community projects
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Timor Gazetteer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

This is the thread for the Timor section of the Gazetteer. Given that we have such a wide range of topics relating to the Gazetteer to go over, it may be necessary to have further subdivisions, but for the time being we'll have Paridon in the other thread and Timor here.

It seems to be the general consensus (and I fully agree with this point of view) that Timor needs more texture than it was given in Secret of the Knife for it to be a re-usable domain.

So, what's down there other than marikith? The obvious answers are humans and dopplegangers held over from Timor's previous incarnation, plus refugees (calibans, criminals, and doppleganger outcasts) from Paridon. What else could be down there?

If we go this route, we need to account for the fact that Secret of the Knife affirms that marikith completely dominated the sewers of Timor. One possibility is that the Marikith Queen produced a very large number of offspring in order to maximize her chances of getting the Fang of the Nosferatu, then killed most of them after failing to achieve her goal. Is this our preferred explanation? If so, why did she destroy her offspring? Because she hates them? Because they represent some kind of strain on her or draining of her power?

Should Timor reflect Paridon in its geography, at least in some places?

Time to brainstorm. Everyone in the pool!
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

The adventure Nathan probably is refering to is named "Shadow of the Knife" :wink:

We should take over the places mentioned in the adventure, but adding some ruins (of Timor city or ancient Paridon), catacombs like those of Paris wouldn't hurt. I also suggest, that the uppermost level of the sewers ist still part of Paridon, for people who would like an almost markith free sewer trip in their adventures.

Repeated from the closed Paridon thread:

On the Queen:
As she dreamd of being the glorious queen in her mother's stead, it must be more than humiliating, to be now reduced to the powerful but in no way glorious "broodmachine" of antlike creatures, who don't love or fear her. Infact she is more a servant to the marikith than they are to her.

On Timor's other possible inhabitants:
a) herded creatures: some ants herd lice (? those little insects that eat leaves) to milk them. Why shouldn't the marikith do something similare? there could be pockets of herded rats, giant centipedes or even humans (original inhabitants of Timor city, who might already have changed to strange albinos or even caliban) ?
Maybe they even cultivate some (dangerous) plants?

b) undetected beings: undead might go below the marikith's 'radar' as long as the queen does'nt tell them what to look for. Slimes and oozes might also fall into this category

c) to powerful to take out: for example a mage or lich might be left alone after he stomped a hundred marikith

d) half-changed: The poison of the marikith might not have the same effect on all creatures, creating half-marikith creatures (imagine a half-marikith-alligator or kobolds )

e) immune : some creatures might be immune to the poison at all like natural lycantrophes (wererats, drow werespiders) or other shapeshifters (another reason the dopp's and the marikith doesn't get along?). The suggested caliban of these sewers might be already to twisted to change.

f) symbiosis: certain creatures might have found a way to get along with the marikith queen for whatever reason (like a coven of drow werespiders who worship her as an avatar of the spiderqueen. Maybe they are spared because of their beliefs, maybe it's because they have black skin and red eyes too and marikith hunters are to dumb to tell the difference? Notice what i already inclueded in my games sewers )

g) hunter's hunted: maybe there is a natural predator for marikith too?

h) the deep spawn: would a deep spawn (from the Forgotten Realms) be a boon (unlimited supply of cloned food) or a bane(unlimited supply of cloned adversaries) to the marikith ? It's a monster that fit's well with both Paridon and Timor i think.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

William Blackmoor wrote:The adventure Nathan probably is refering to is named "Shadow of the Knife" :wink:
Good catch. :oops: I must've been conflating "Secrets of the Kargatane" with "Shadow of the Knife."
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

William Blackmoor wrote: On the Queen:
As she dreamd of being the glorious queen in her mother's stead, it must be more than humiliating, to be now reduced to the powerful but in no way glorious "broodmachine" of antlike creatures, who don't love or fear her. Infact she is more a servant to the marikith than they are to her.
Nice. That's a good sight into her condition. Someone suggested that she goes into fits where she slaughters most of her brood, causing the Hive to shrink in size, and periods where she churns them out to achieve some end. I would also suggest that she has moved her lair further down into the sunken remains of the Old Timor Palace. She has turned the throne room into her egg chamber and she even uses her old room when she wants to get away from the kids.
On Timor's other possible inhabitants:
a) herded creatures: some ants herd lice (? those little insects that eat leaves) to milk them. Why shouldn't the marikith do something similare? there could be pockets of herded rats, giant centipedes or even humans (original inhabitants of Timor city, who might already have changed to strange albinos or even caliban) ?
Maybe they even cultivate some (dangerous) plants?
There are already large centipedes (Carrion Crawlers?). I don't think they are the type of creature that would have herds but instead eat whatever they catch. Marikith hunters probably don't need much to eat and likely deliver most of it to the Queen (have to keep her healthy). There are definitely vermin and some nasty plants, but I don't think they're the kind of creatures that would breed or cultivate them. Marikith hunters are disposible soldiers who exist to serve and expand the Hive. They aren't going to spend their time cultivating plants (though Illithids might).
b) undetected beings: undead might go below the marikith's 'radar' as long as the queen does'nt tell them what to look for. Slimes and oozes might also fall into this category
Definitely oozes and slimes. Someone suggested a fungus that could make ingestors invisible to the Marikith. I would suggest that we push that further; you can only find the fungus on the walls of the Hive and you the ingestor suffers damage to their mental stats for a time. Also, if you use it too often or too much you start to transform into a marikith hunter yourself.
c) to powerful to take out: for example a mage or lich might be left alone after he stomped a hundred marikith
This might be a little much. I can see a few Oygtahs lurking below but the Marikiths should remain the most powerful creatures as a whole. There could possibly be fiends locked away or even ancient dead in Old Timor tombs but they should be rumors; not the norm. Basically, if there aren't many liches in Paridon there aren't going to be many in Timor (where it is likely harder to study magic than above, what with the difficulty in getting supplies and keeping your library dry).
d) half-changed: The poison of the marikith might not have the same effect on all creatures, creating half-marikith creatures (imagine a half-marikith-alligator or kobolds )
I see a template coming on...:wink:
e) immune : some creatures might be immune to the poison at all like natural lycantrophes (wererats, drow werespiders) or other shapeshifters (another reason the dopp's and the marikith doesn't get along?). The suggested caliban of these sewers might be already to twisted to change.
Sure, but in extremely small amounts. I think we need to re-read the transformative poison description again to make sure there are certain races that are immune.
f) symbiosis: certain creatures might have found a way to get along with the marikith queen for whatever reason (like a coven of drow werespiders who worship her as an avatar of the spiderqueen. Maybe they are spared because of their beliefs, maybe it's because they have black skin and red eyes too and marikith hunters are to dumb to tell the difference? Notice what i already inclueded in my games sewers )
No, I don't think that would happen. The Hive exists to spread expand and consume, and as much as the Queen wants to be human she is driven by the instincts of the Hive. The marikith are the dominante society and will assimilate anything they come across. Besides, we don't want Timor to become a Ravenloft Underdark, so lets leave the Drow out of there. When it comes to what races you might find in Timor, let's look at Paridon. As above, so twisted and monstrous below.
g) hunter's hunted: maybe there is a natural predator for marikith too?
It comes down from a Spelljammer ship to hunt for the skulls of its prey. It has claws, can turn invisible, shoot magic missles from a projector on it's shoulder and sees in 2e infravision. Oh, and it bleeds phospheresent green and has a device that creates a Wail of the Banshee effect! :wink:

Let's leave the Marikith unmolested for now. The Queen already has her own Hatchling and the Doppelgangers to worry about.
h) the deep spawn: would a deep spawn (from the Forgotten Realms) be a boon (unlimited supply of cloned food) or a bane(unlimited supply of cloned adversaries) to the marikith ? It's a monster that fit's well with both Paridon and Timor i think.
It would be a bane. It might make a good rumor, but the Hive would want it destroyed as quickly as possible (especially since it can start churning out its own hunters to infiltrate the Hive).
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Sorry, but this belongs here on this thread. It's the last time I'm reposting it, I swear. :oops:

The easiest thing to do is to "segment" Timor. Create several types of environments that are scattered throughout the domain. Kinda like the following:

The Sewers: These are the remaiments of the sewers of Paridon. They retain their old system, for the most part, but have odd twists and turns not recorded on maps, and dead ends that seem to come out of no where. There are even rumors that these tunnels move by themselves, trying to prevent those that have entered from escaping. Unlike the old sewers of Paridon these go further down and seem to go on forever. Anyone who seeks to enter or leave Timor must navigate the sewers.

The Darkened Tunnels: These are rough stone caverns dug out by water and inhuman hands. They are hot, humid and filled with detrius that drips down from above. This makes up the largest portion of Timor and are filled with huge caverns and thin crawlspaces. The other areas of Timor are found within the tunnels.

The Hive: The Marilkith Hive is the home of the Hideous Queen and her brood. The Hive takes up the lowest points of Timor and rises up to fill areas of the Darkened Tunnels. These areas have a more organic look to them and it is rare to find any creatures other than the Marilkith there. (By the way, we need to think up a few more Marilkits. We've got hunters and Queens. We should probably have workers and handmaidens). The area that the Hive takes up varies, depending on the marilkith population (this takes into account the Queens rages where she kills off most of the Hive and then makes more when she feels the need).

The Sunken Ruins: Found scattered in caverns around the Darkened Tunnels are the remains of a large metropolios. These pieces are all that remain of the city of Timor before it's destruction during the Grand Conjunction (when the Marilkith Queen used the ensuing chaos to destroy the doppelgangers above and absorb the city into her Hive). These ruins can vary from single houses that were buried in cave-ins to entire city blocks left all but untouched, bearing only signs of the final rush that ended the city's existance and and it's time underground. There are rumors of a massive catherdral, peopled with the spirits of it's worshippers, and a marketplace with a fountain that provides one of the few sources of clean water in the domain. The borders of these ruins seem to just disappear into the stone walls that surround them, and there is no rhyme or reason to their placement. An old shop could easily be found mere feet away from a cavern that holds a the remains of a nobleman's home. Intrepid explores have been able to bring back artifacts from these areas, bringing the history of Timor to the light. The poor souls (often mad and deformed) who leave Paridon for the lightless world below usually find home in these ruins, living on the fungus and seeing by the thin glow of luminesent lichen.

The ruins are based (loosely) on the Undercity in the computer game Thief: The Dark Project. I also figure that it makes sense that the Queen would have used the Grand Conjuction to take over her old city only to have it ripped from her grasp.

In order to incorporate the Queen's vanity and desire to be human, there should probably be an area in her nest made up to look like the bedroom of royalty. There are books, combs, dolls, even dresses, shoes and a huge luxurious bed, all gathered from the world above and the ruins below. There are, of course, no mirrors or shiny surfaces. The Queen goes there to "feel human" for a while, but everything is rotting and filthy.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Now for the most important question:

Why adventure in Timor?

Without answering that there is no point in writing up the domain. There has to be a reason (beyond retrieving the Fang for the Upteenth hundreth time) that player's will want to brave the darkness below.

First we can add the remains of Old Timor and include rumors of treasure, lost lore about Doppelgangers, and devices on the same tech level as Paridon but perhaps one or two that have yet to be designed.

Another reason could be rare fungi that are useful in arcane magic and alchemical formula.

There's mapping out the sewers. Trying to find an important NPC who has run (or been taken?) below.

What other reasons can we give for giving Timor a second glance?
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

There's always the good ol'-

"You fall in a man hole, now fight for your life MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

-scenario.

To be serious, I always pictured the reason being that several people have gone missing as of late near the sewers, so found out why (as if the people of Paridon haven't figured out by now that they've got the Chuck Noris of all Bug Problems). But that gets bland after a while.

Wait, I've got it! See, you've got 4 turtles, all with Borcan names...

...ok, I'll post in a bit when I don't sound like Desdichado.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Okay, if no one else wants to do the Timor section I can. Not a dibs, just an offer. Might be fun.
Paridon... you guys are on your own for. :twisted:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

David of the FoS wrote:Okay, if no one else wants to do the Timor section I can. Not a dibs, just an offer. Might be fun.
Ha-ha! Fight ya for it. ;)

I'm actually more interested in Timor than in Paridon, myself--it seems to be more of a tabula rasa, which is always fun to contemplate.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Ok, I'm going to be much more serious now...I promise...No Ninja Turtles references...

Timor is definately an area where writers are needed. Tobias has already been handed some charge with this area. I know I'd like to concentrate on Paridon's geography and landscape for now. I'll be working with Tobias directly on making the two coincide.

In the end, David, I'd probably be right there with you typing Timor IF it is needed. Otherwise, this would be a great area for some submissions.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

I sat down today and wrote out some basic ideas. I actually figured out the domain's history and why (and more importantly HOW) anything other than the marikith could possibly live there. I'll type it up and mail it out tomorrow.

I think that people will be surprised.
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

Continuing the topic of "Why adventuring in Timor?" I guess we can consider the option of a Planar portal that leads outside Ravenloft.

I know it's very old fashion, and that this was the reason why adventurers were struggling vicious monsters... :wink: but still, there should be some people or even creatures (fiends my first thought) that want to get out of Ravenloft for good.

Maybe this planar portal exists within the ruins of Timor, even beneath the Hive...
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

David of the FoS wrote:Okay, if no one else wants to do the Timor section I can. Not a dibs, just an offer. Might be fun.
*Breathes a sigh of relief*

:P

Seriously, though, yay for taking on Timor! So when are you and Nathan going to duke it out? :twisted:

To answer Tobias as to why to adventure:

1)Hunting for fugitives from the law or missing persons

2) Search for minerals and other similar resources. Maybe thar's gold in them thar hills.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Llana wrote: To answer Tobias as to why to adventure:

1)Hunting for fugitives from the law or missing persons
Brave fugitive. I've taken that into account. I also have a few ideas for a more... natural reason to be there.
2) Search for minerals and other similar resources. Maybe thar's gold in them thar hills.
I think the main resources would be those left over from old Timor. It was the most prosperous city in it's land. The Mists had to put it all somewhere.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

The Three Themes of Timor:

1. Fear of the Unknown.

2. Corruption of the Known.

3. Isolation while Surrounded.

That's what I'm basing my take on.