Zherisia gazetteer: Fraternity notes.

Coordinating community projects
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Zherisia gazetteer: Fraternity notes.

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

This thread will be for official Fraternity posts regarding the Paridon gazetteer now in the works:

First of all, thanks to everyone who's expressing an interest! I think we have a really exciting opportunity to work together and create a great resource for adventures in Paridon and Timor.

The following points may not be in order of importance, so please read right to the end. :lucas:

Please DO NOT begin writing and/or submitting articles, etc., yet. Wait for the Souragne Survey to come out so you can see the format and style we're using, for use as a template in your own submissions.

The Fraternity, as a group, will have final say over what goes into the finished product. We may very well find that it is necessary to leave things submitted to the Gazetteer out of the final product, either for space reasons, because articles contradict each other, or for quality-control reasons. We encourage you to submit, but this is NOT a gaurantee of publication.

In the "Paridon Gazetteer" below, you'll see that those interested in contributing are dividing the various topics among them. There's also a list of topics to be covered. If you take a topic, please do so with the firm intent of finishing it up. There will be deadlines for submissions, and if you sign up for something and become unable to finish it, someone else will be given responsibility for that section. Fan projects like this one are notoriously subject to a loss of enthusiasm leading to the finished project never seeing the light of day; if that happens in this case, the Fraternity will finish up, but it will strongly dispose us to regard this as a failed experiment and to refuse to participate in fan-driven Gazetteers in the future.

O.K., enough with the riot act. Everyone get to work! Have a good time writing up the authoritative guide to "Things to Do in Paridon When You're Dead"!

Further notes on articles, expectations, editorial policy, etc. will be placed here as needed. Please feel free to ask any questions you have here.

Nathan of the Fraternity
On behalf of the Fraternity of Shadows
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

I'd like to give a reminder that submissions are best emailed to NDBurke@gmail.com

I have lots of space in this account. RTF files are perferred, but DOC will do. WPD files are also acceptable.
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Rough Outline Guide slash Dib List

Paridon

Part I: Geographic and Topological Survey
(The landscape and what lives there, the rough features of the domain. What the land is like physically?)
* Neighbourhoods and Districts - Undead Cabbage
* Climate - Undead Cabbage
* Indigenous Plants - Undead Cabbage
* Indigenous Animals

Part II: Sociological Survey
(General cultural feel here. Primitive? Advanced? What is the land like emotionally?)
Samuel calles some of this, if he could clarify which sections exactly...
* Indigenous People
* Daily Life, clothing and food
* Language - William Blackmoor
* Outlook and worldview - Boccaccio Barbarossa
* Art - Boccaccio Barbarossa
*Trade - Moral Machivelli and Nathan, with William Blackmoor
* Local History
* Governments - Llana

Part III: Religious Survey
Divinity of Mankind – Llana
Mystery Cults - William Blackmoor

Timor

Some measure of sharing between Nathan, Tobias and Mortavius

Part I: Geography
* Regions of the Deep
* Climate
* Indigenous Plants and Fungi - Mortavius
* Indigenous Animals - Mortavius

Part II: Sociological Survey
* Indigenous People (lifestyle and society of markith, some info on Caliban regugees, Timor survivors and human squatters)- Mortavius and possibly Tobias (PM between yourselves and co-ordinate please).
* History - Tobias
* Daily Life
* Languages
* Former Lifestye

DM Appendix
(the crunch)
* Magic (local variants and unique elements)
* Places and people of Interest – Rene and Undead Cabbage have some of these, but there is always room for more
Sodo – Rene and the zombie cabbage patch kid and mebbe Tobias...
Hive Queen - Tobias
Psychological Disorders – Undead Cabbage

* Feats, monsters, salient abilities, PrC, items, NPCs, etc
Last edited by Jester of the FoS on Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

Me doing Sodo? Um...I might be quite vocal about him being a completly screwed up character that should be abolished, and that he's not a mastermind, but I think it would be better to count me out writing him.

These are the things I actually want to do:

People/Government/Dread Possibility: Queen Anne (Character and Dread Possibility plus the secret Demon's Fire Club)

Dread possibilities: Steam Age & Hidden War (if fitting the Gaz, already written)

Language: the Primer-box to the "chant"-language (already written)

Religion: Mystery-cults of Paridon (partyally written) and the fae of Paridon

Trade: The Colonial Merchant Company of Paridon and the "Colonies of the Zheresian Empire" (partyally written)

People/locations (esp. Shelly Holmes and her home) and a little bit of history (my ideas on history can be seen in my draft)

Maybe a little bit of outlining the history.

I'll leave the background text on the Marikith Queen I formerly suggested to someone else, although I would like to coment the text now and then.

I already posted a draft of my idea of Paridon, so you might want to look it up on other topics.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

I'll do Sodo.

By the way, who is the Canon Monkey we send our stuff to for a once over?
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Ok, I've been doing some thinking.

I think it would be best if I hold my ideas about Psychological disorders, and anything else that would otherwise be in the appendix.

Instead, as this has been where I've been working on lately, I'd instead like to take Part I, and move out of other parts. All of the other parts I was involved are also being taken care of by others. So pretty much:
- Neighborhoods and Districts
- Climate
- Indigenous Plants, and Indigenous Animals

In terms of the official 'S' Gazeteers: Landscape, Sites of Interest, Flora, Fauna, and Encounters.

Any other parts I work on can be done later, but really I want to leave as much room as possible for others. It's important that we get people specialized. That is, if no one has any objections to me doing all of Part I. Does anyone else care to aid with?

We've already got people to handle Sodo, people of interest, and the like.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

I'm going to take the framing device--letters from Alfred Larner to the Fraternity on the survey in Paridon, and then a brief description of the Fraternity's trip into the sewers to visit Timor.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Nathan, can you add a meeting between Larner and Sodo at the end of Paridon gazetteer. I can't see anyone doing an indepth investigation into Paridon (and the doppelgangers underneath) without drawing Sodo's attention. It would be dangerous for Larner, but mentioning that the person he's looking for could turn Paridon into another Necropolis would, at the very least, make Sodo pause. He might even set Larner up with a few connections so that he can make a thorough pause.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Ok, I've tried to shorten it as much as possible, but it's still kind of long. I present to you the 7 boroughs of Paridon! (be sure to share your thoughts and suggestions)

Blackchapel:
This area will be an obvious reference to the Whitechapel area in London. This area has the greatest poverty, as most residents live in a constant struggle to survive. It’s also the most dense part of the city, containing about two thirds of the population (despite how it only makes up a quarter of the city’s space). A lot of people in Blackchapel are forced to work in the cruel conditions of the Riverside factories. Alcoholism, Male-related violence, prostitution, gambling, and extortion are all rampant in this area.

The Docks:
This is Paridon’s primary spot to receive imports from other realms. Due to it’s importance, the city council has increased security here. It’s branches stretch out as if it were welcoming ships into its embrace. On the other hand, pollution seeps out of the Docks through the Nodnal river on a daily basis (giving away its pleasant facade).

Riverside:
This area is not as residential as it is commercial. On its western side there are the Riverside factories, profitable workhouses where the upper-middle class exploits the residents of Blackchapel as ‘human resources’. On the eastern side is Riverside square: a giant market with goods from all around the dread realms (Shri Raji, Har Akir, etc). It is often said that one can buy virtually anything in Riverside square. This is also the location of two of Paridon’s famous landmarks: Paridon Bridge, and the Clock Tower.

The Bowels:
Most outlanders wonder what the purpose was of giving this area of the city such a terrible name. Paridoners explain that other than its biological function, the term Bowel is actually meant to be the middle of something. The Bowels are essentially a transition spot for lower middle-class men to try and make a name for themselves. As you go up the bowels, the city gets cleaner. As you go down the bowels, it gets dirtier. However, even the very southern edge of the Bowels does not compare to the poverty that Blackchapel faces. There’s one catch to the Bowels, however. Although the city guard is present in this area, for some reason people are going missing at night. Even stranger, the city council has forbidden any entrance into the Bowel’s sewer system with no given reason. This is because the Marikith Queen’s main palace lies underneath this borough.

Shadewell:
Once a middle-class man builds a name for himself, as well as have enough money to do so, he stands a chance of moving into Shadewell. Shadewell is the location of all of Paridon’s most successful business owners, many of which possess one of the Riverside factories. These ties to the factories are in name and property only, as most in Shadewell refuse to step even an inch within Blackchapel’s population. Shadewell is also the location of Paridon university, as well as numerous other intellectual communities. There are a few respectable parks in Shadewell, all of which are privately owned. Shadewell is also the location of the Butcher street boarding house.

King’s Quarters:
By far the wealthiest section of Paridon, this is where Paridon’s nobility, royalty, and city council resides. Only those who are noble born or guards there of are allowed in this section. Here, parks and gardens have been kept spotless, particularly the royal gardens of the city council. There is a royal gallery of all of the past Zheresian Monarchs. The Zheresian royal guard are instructed not to let to ‘free loaders’ into King’s Quarters, as the lower classes of Blackchapel are seen as parasitic annoyances. King’s Quarters is built much like a giant castle, however Paridon’s revolutionist past as scarred it. Still, it maintains its robust, archaic feel. As you can probably tell, this is also where the Doppleganger population of Paridon is most concentrated.

Southshore District:
However wealthy, this section is actually a ghetto for non-Zherisians and half breeds (such as Half Vistani). Very often in the wake of the Bloody Jack Murders, the residents of Southshore district very rarely go outside. Due to their ‘lesser state’, the native population of Paridon are quick to assume that they have some association with Bloody Jack. Southshore district is the location of Paridon’s main shipping companies. Businesses in Southshore often do better in trade with other realms than with local affairs in Paridon.

Currently, I'm having some trouble getting the rough sketch I have of these areas to an appropriate size on Photobucket. If anyone wishes to see the rough map (or even better, is willing to post the map somewhere on the internet), please PM an emailing address to me.
Last edited by Undead Cabbage on Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Buahahahahahahaha! Victory is mine! I have the map on a website!

Ok, red areas are areas concerning Timor. Green areas are parks that have not been turned into crops. Yellow areas are parks that have been turned into crops.

Just remember, this map is a general sketch of the area. I plan to make a much better hand drawn version of Paridon. Timor also deserves it's own map.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

I still don't see how we can really map Timor. It's a 3D maze filled with caves and tunnels. Unless you intend to map out every street of the first level it's going to have to be something rather general and vague. Especially since there is a chance that the tunnels are capable of moving and shifting.

You can't map the unknown. :wink:
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Tobias Blackburn wrote:I still don't see how we can really map Timor. It's a 3D maze filled with caves and tunnels. Unless you intend to map out every street of the first level it's going to have to be something rather general and vague. Especially since there is a chance that the tunnels are capable of moving and shifting.

You can't map the unknown. :wink:
I got three words for you: Pop-up books!

Naw, you're right it can't be completely mapped. Just, we should have some general ideas of where some stuff is.
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Question, think maybe we should continue listing the texts we've produced so far in this thread? Leaving the Paridon thread for discussion, and this thread for review of material.
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

Sounds good it me.

I've completed a Caliban vampire write-up that Im going to submit as soon as I get an idea of how to format it.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Here's some of the stuff I've got on Climate and Flora. However, some of the stuff on mists is originally taken from Rene's notes. In the end, it would probably be best to actually insert his text directly.

Climate
Seasons are a hard thing to judge in Paridon, and even so they are measured in amounts of rain or mist. Spring, summer, and autumn present high amounts of downpour; it’s not unheard of for Paridon’s streets to be slightly flooded during these seasons. Paridon’s streets are have built in drainage systems, so this is more of a nuisance than a threat. Winter is marked by slightly less rainfall, and in a few cases a little touch of snow. Recently, Paridon’s precipitation has been slowly corroding its buildings. Scientists hypothesize that Paridon’s rain has recently taken on some of the properties of alchemical acids. This exact cause of this is unknown, however there is some thought that this might have to do with Nosos, as this ‘acidic’ rain is most prominent in Shadewell.
Throughout most of the year, Paridon is covered in fog. Whether it is a translucent shroud, or an impenetrable veil, mists are ever present. Winter is marked by a decrease in fog, however at no point does it disappear all together. The Nodnal river and the surrounding sea presents Paridon with a constant inflow of fog.
The relative change in seasons also seems tied to the nature of each Borough. Residents of Blackchapel rarely notice any season save winter, which presents even harder times for this unfortunate section. Shadewell, King’s Quarters, even the Bowels can mark autumn from the lingering seasonal flora in their parks. Riverside, The Docks, and the Southshore District measure seasons by business: summer marks high sales, winter low.

Flora
Almost all flora in Paridon is intentionally grown; there is no wildlife per say. Paridon’s botanical species are found in either gardens or parks. In Riverside, Shadewell, the Bowels, and the Southshore District, roof top gardens are a common sight. These gardens usually have vegetables growing in them, sticking to practical species such as zucchini or strawberries. Only in Shadewell are these gardens elaborate enough to dare have a few hardy, perennial flowers. These gardens are a boon for the populace, and are usually well guarded. The owners of these gardens have more regard for the vegetables they grow than for the life of anyone who tries to steal them. More information on Paridon’s roof top police can be found in later sections. Blackchapel does not have the space, nor the security to keep such Gardens. The Docks have some aquatic species clinging to rocks; the Nodnal river’s pollution limits the number of viable species. King’s Quarters presents a completely different situation with the vast royal gardens sporting only the finest exotic species from far off realms, such as Shri Raji.
Parks are a lifeline in Paridon. All parks in Blackchapel have been converted into crops, where minimal yields of beer, potatoes, and hops are grown. A portion of these crops are owned by alcohol sellers. Riverside park is owned and used prominently by the Chapel of Divine form. This park’s small hedges and soft grass provide an area for quiet meditation. Shadewell’s and some of the Bowels’ parks have a few trees and bushes. The Bowels is currently upturning its southern parks into crops, much like in Blackchapel. Queen’s Park in King’s Quarters is a massive space of land. It, like the gardens, presents a mosaic of elaborate species. The royal gardens and queen’s park together take up nearly a tenth of Paridon’s space. The Docks and the Southshore District are too small to have parks.