Paridon Gazetteer

Coordinating community projects
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

King's Quarters and maybe Shadewell would have some room for milk producing live stock. Otherwise, milk just be available as a beverage.

Canned, evaporated milk be what's used in bakeries. For foods in general, I kind of picture Zherisia having to resort to a lot of the food items seen in Britain in during the Blitz Krieg. Britian was essentially cut off, and it's resources were diminished to a bare minimum to fund for the war. Agriculture was slowed to a crawl. People often had to improvise dishes from what they had.

On the other hand, toffees and other sweets might be easier to find in Zherisia than in other places. They may not have been the highest quality, but the cities higher technology would be a boon in mass produced candy. The candy would be full of additives and junk, but it would be enough to last you if you couldn't afford a meal.
Spiteful Crow
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Spiteful Crow »

I'm confused. Was the mistways/railway to Nosos officially decided upon?
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

There is a Mistway to Nosus but not a railway since the Steam Age is more advanced than Renaissance. I believe that Rene is writing a Dread Possibility on the Steam Age/train.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Just a (screwy) thought:

Anybody out there read Roger Zelazny...? If so, don't you agree that the perfect in-joke name for an exclusive, stuffy gentleman's club in Paridon -- perhaps, even, the headquarters of the local FoS chapter -- would be: "Lonesome October"? Either that, or a high-priced pub where all kinds of spooky characters hang out.... :wink:

If you've read the book I'm thinking of, you'll know what I mean. How could we pass up the chance? 8)
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Rotipher wrote:Just a (screwy) thought:

Anybody out there read Roger Zelazny...? If so, don't you agree that the perfect in-joke name for an exclusive, stuffy gentleman's club in Paridon -- perhaps, even, the headquarters of the local FoS chapter -- would be: "Lonesome October"? Either that, or a high-priced pub where all kinds of spooky characters hang out.... :wink:

If you've read the book I'm thinking of, you'll know what I mean. How could we pass up the chance? 8)
Read Zelazny? Heck, I had dinner with him once. :lucas:

Although, truth to tell, apart from the Jack the Ripper connection the book doesn't really have that much in common with Paridon. It's a great name, though, and it would be seriously cool to title a mini-adventure "A Night in the 'Lonesome October'".
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Nathan of the FoS wrote:Although, truth to tell, apart from the Jack the Ripper connection the book doesn't really have that much in common with Paridon. It's a great name, though, and it would be seriously cool to title a mini-adventure "A Night in the 'Lonesome October'".
Not necessarily a match for Paridon specifically, but the running-gag concept of the novel is an excellent parallel to Ravenloft's Classic-Horror-All-Stars (or their D&D-equivalent) cast of characters. And Mordent's been described already, so unless we want to stick it out in the boonies of Ghastria or resurrect Staunton Bluffs, Paridon's the best place for such a literary reference/tribute. 8)

Dinner with Zelazny? Wow, I'm jealous! :D
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Ok, we have Jasper's Newsboy PrC, and I think Tobias might want to make something for his Caliban remnants in Timor. We have the Captain of the Mists class as well.

In the mean time, I've been doing some experimenting with a 'luddite' type of prestige class. Essentially, it would be the anti-heavy technology, anti-golem class. I figured that if there every is going to be a class that deals directly with Golems, the Paridon Gazetteer is the only place it would really fit into. The problem being that the term 'Luddite' is perhaps best reserved for Gothic Earth.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a name for the class?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

If the Luddite group's membership is mostly drawn from undereducated laborers, the name should be on the straightforward side. Something like "Gearbreakers" or even just "the Breakers" would work; they'd need a name that makes intuitive sense to the ignorant and angry, not one that makes them sound too elitist or sophisticated.

The old Disney "Gargoyles" cartoon introduced a KKK-style gang of anti-gargoyle bigots towards the end, who used sledgehammers to attack the title creatures when they turned to stone during daylight. That group was called "The Quarrymen". Even if your Luddites aren't solely motivated by bigotry, a similar reference to a demolition-related job could work, too.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Undead Cabbage wrote: Does anybody have any suggestions for a name for the class?
"Saboteur"?
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Zherisian Brothers? Maybe they relate the disappearance of the countryside to the rise of technology, and the industrial market.
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Ok, I've written a reference to the class and society in the Blackchapel section.

I'm thinking "Zherisian Brothers of the Land" as the name of the society, and "The Saboteur" for the specific class. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Another question, for the Saboteur class should it be more rogue based or cleric based? My first instinct is rogue, however this class may be a neat class to tie in with the Divinity of Mankind.

Llana, would the Celebrants condemn, support, or be neutral towards such a movement? On one hand, its humanity breaking its chains and in a way, reaching its fullest potential. On the other hand, I'm contimplating making a chaotic alignment manditory for the class.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

The saboteur should definitely be rogue-based. As for the temple, I doubt that they'd have an official position. After all they permitted a sect to try to 'purify' doppelgangers... :roll: Individually, celebrants would be divided; they'd have sympathetic supporters among them. I doubt a celebrant would be involved, but I could see some excommunicated lodge....
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Another puzzler:

There was only one Mistway according to canon (not including the soon to be added Nosos one or the debated one between Nova Vasaa (what ARE we doing with that, anyways?).

It was connected to Darkon...which came into existence 28 years after Paridon. :?

So- did the original Mistway vanish as the Core grew? If so, for the sake of our history, where do we stay it was?

If it still exists- where is it now?
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Llana wrote:Another puzzler:

There was only one Mistway according to canon (not including the soon to be added Nosos one or the debated one between Nova Vasaa (what ARE we doing with that, anyways?).

It was connected to Darkon...which came into existence 28 years after Paridon. :?

So- did the original Mistway vanish as the Core grew? If so, for the sake of our history, where do we stay it was?

If it still exists- where is it now?
Er...I'm confused. There still is a canon mistway between Darkon and Paridon--the famed Via Corona. Surely it could have come into existence when Darkon did, or just a little after, and endured to the present? Darkon has always bordered the Mists.
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Then did people have no contact with Paridon until Darkon came into existence?

If so, is there any way for anyone in the Land of the Mists to really be able to date when Paridon came into the Mists, then?