Captain of the Mists prestige class

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Would it be feasible to switch that Knowledge (Ravenloft) skill into one for Knowledge (Mists)? It might give these players an extra percentile added to their rolls in navigating through the Mists. The other skills fit.

Concerning the Ezrans, would this prestige class possibly be popular in the Mordentish and Dementlieuse sects? The Mordentish simply because of their constant dealings with the local Mists, and the numerous opportunities to study it, and the Third Sect because of their interest in truth and knowledge? Perhaps they have priests/paladins/dedicated fighters who are sent out as explorers. The more they know, the better their influence on the Mists, is a possible rationale. This particular group is unlikely to have much to do with Paridon but it extends the class' use to other lands/groups.

As for the half-Vistani, it's amusing to think of other trade-heavy nations all competing to recruit these 'disreputable' people. :P
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Um.... One question... Kender?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Hello,

I liked this class a lot and I may use it in my campaign. Now, I'd like to give my view on several questions that were raised here.

the name: I like and favour Captains of the Mists. It reminds me of the explorers in Colonial Brazil in the 17th to 19th century who were called "Capitães do Mato", literally Captains of the Wood (though the woods there were most likely jungle or rain forest :-) )

Society: I don't think there should be a formal society, but they could recognized each other as brothers. In the 17th century Caribean, the pirates referred to themselves, I guess, as "Brethren of the Coast". Something along these lines would suit the Captains completely.

I tend to see these people would very easily end up doing smuggling, illegal trading and their own kind of piracy, so you could have them hunted in some domains where they challenged the established routes while being protected in others that benefitted from their trade. Likewise, in the Caribean, some nations officially endorsed pirates to attack other nations and called those attacks "acts of war".

As for requisites, perhaps the Leadership Feat would be nice, although I don't know how it is used in Ravenloft. Besides, perhaps they should have a minimum Charisma modifier. I think this requisite could benefit from magical improvement, but the abilities of the class would only work while the modified charisma satisfied the requisite.

Equaar: Finally, someone asked in another post how could Paridon maintain their horses. Now we know, intense trading with these merchants :-) After all, if you don't have your own resources, you've got to buy them somewhere.

Ail
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Nathan of the Frat wrote:What Rotipher said about the Captain of the Mists being a "signature" prestige class for half-Vistani has me wondering. Do y'all think I should try to develop that angle? If so, should I expand the class to a 10-level prestige class?
I think five levels is fine; as others have already pointed out, Ravenloft's a low-level-skewed setting, so 15th+ level characters are far too rare to be much of a "signature" anything. Besides, it fits the undisciplined aspect of half-Vistani nature that they'd not be too single-minded about their class choices: they're not boring ol' giorgios with no lives but their work; they just find this class a great excuse to make money off of them. :wink:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Nathan of the Frat wrote:BTW, I'm getting the mental image of a half-Vistani--olive skin, long dark hair, earring, the whole nine yards--dressed in the latest Paridon fashions, sitting in a gentleman's club and negotiating for transport of grain from Falkovnia with the city fathers...I kinda like this idea. :)
Wanna bet that same half-Vistana would wear a fancy top hat and monocle, and affect an over-the-top Zherisian aristocrat's accent, when he's cutting a business deal with a clan of full-blooded Vistani? Vistana or giorgio makes no difference; rubbing it in bigots' faces goes both ways! :lol:
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Llana wrote:Concerning the Ezrans, would this prestige class possibly be popular in the Mordentish and Dementlieuse sects? The Mordentish simply because of their constant dealings with the local Mists, and the numerous opportunities to study it, and the Third Sect because of their interest in truth and knowledge? Perhaps they have priests/paladins/dedicated fighters who are sent out as explorers. The more they know, the better their influence on the Mists, is a possible rationale. This particular group is unlikely to have much to do with Paridon but it extends the class' use to other lands/groups.
The difficulty with making this class a popular one among Ezrans is that Ezrans already have a prestige class (several, actually) that deal with Mists travel, and do so more impressively than this one does, so the attraction of this class to the Ezran Church is probably quite limited. After everyone's input I'm thinking a half-Vistani racial requirement is the way to go.
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Manofevil wrote:Um.... One question... Kender?
Er...could you elaborate on that one?

If you mean, why not have kender be able to take the prestige class, then I would say, in the first place, that there are so few kender in the Dread Realms that it's not really worth considering except for an individual DM's campaign. (Also, the average kender is unlikely to "captain" anything. ;))
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Ail wrote: the name: I like and favour Captains of the Mists. It reminds me of the explorers in Colonial Brazil in the 17th to 19th century who were called "Capitães do Mato", literally Captains of the Wood (though the woods there were most likely jungle or rain forest :-) )
I'm glad to see that someone likes it, because I've decided to keep it that way. ;) "Navigator" of the Mist is really a better job description, but it doesn't have the right connotations to me of leading a group through the Mists, and, frankly, IMO it doesn't sound nearly as cool. Now that I have a historical precendent, I'm good to go. ;)
Society: I don't think there should be a formal society, but they could recognized each other as brothers. In the 17th century Caribean, the pirates referred to themselves, I guess, as "Brethren of the Coast". Something along these lines would suit the Captains completely.
Yes, I'm pretty sure this is what I'm going to do with this class/society--a loose association of people with a similar background, a similar occupation, and similar abilities.

I tend to see these people would very easily end up doing smuggling, illegal trading and their own kind of piracy, so you could have them hunted in some domains where they challenged the established routes while being protected in others that benefitted from their trade. Likewise, in the Caribean, some nations officially endorsed pirates to attack other nations and called those attacks "acts of war".
An interesting point. Perhaps one purpose of the association/society of Mist-captains is to keep a eye on Mist traders to make sure that smuggling, etc. doesn't happen, in order to avoid problems for all the honest (or fairly honest) traders.
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

Ail wrote:Hello,

I liked this class a lot and I may use it in my campaign. Now, I'd like to give my view on several questions that were raised here.

the name: I like and favour Captains of the Mists. It reminds me of the explorers in Colonial Brazil in the 17th to 19th century who were called "Capitães do Mato", literally Captains of the Wood (though the woods there were most likely jungle or rain forest :-) )

Ail
I should make a correction here. I've been checking some sites and it seems that the main work of the "Capitães do Mato" was actually to track evaded slaves. Not as beautiful and romantic, but the name still exists and I'd use it nonetheless.
After all, we also have the Captain of a Vistani Caravan as an example.

Ail
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Has this been put into print in some final form yet?
The cure for what ails you
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

It was in the Paridon Gazetteer, actually.
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Well, damn, here I was going to make some suggestions and comments only to find it has been all wrapped up.
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Re: re

Jack of Tears wrote:Well, damn, here I was going to make some suggestions and comments only to find it has been all wrapped up.
*shrug* No harm in comments and suggestions. Maybe someone will find them useful.
cure
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by cure »

Nathan of the FoS wrote:It was in the Paridon Gazetteer, actually.
Thanx, I had missed it there, or actually failed to looked at it at the time and forget it thereafter.
The cure for what ails you
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Rotipher of the FoS wrote:Perhaps a number of Paridon's Captains of the Mists are the half-Vistani offspring of expatriate Paridoners who'd lived in the "colonies", then came back to Zherisia with their Vistani-blooded offspring.
Since this thread has been reanimated, allow me to expand on this idea: these early expatriate Paridoners joined up with the Vistani in their youth because a) they were the only way to get out of Paridon safely, b) the Vistani were inclined to let them hang out so they could learn their language and the needs of their people.

2E sources on the Vistani say that giorgio teens often traveled with the gypsies for a while before resettling, so I think there's a reason to justify more such things going on from isolated areas.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home