Where next?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Where next?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The first report of the FoS on the islands is going well, with the Souragne project. Souragne appeared to us as high in the "most wanted" list for a Gaz-type project.

So it brings a question - where next?

Which island / cluster would you like to see in details?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Moral Machivelli
Rat Blinder
Rat Blinder

Post by Moral Machivelli »

Amber Wastes. If not the shadowborne cluster. My two favourates (Though I for one will be happy, whatever's picked) :D
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

A steaming lands Gaz. A whole redo of Sir Raji, The wildlands and Saragoss. As only one of those lands has gotten the adventure treatment e could have a nearly blank slate to work with.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Pamela
Sorority Shadow
Sorority Shadow

Post by Pamela »

Paridon or the Shining Bay Cluster. But I'm admittedly biased. :P
His only real danger is if stupidity is contagious and lethal. In which case, we’re all dead…-Gertrude
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Shining Bay?

I'd say the Shadowborn Cluster.

Either there or Zherisia and Nosos.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Something about boats.

Not enough boats in Ravenloft material and the lack of a ghostship is a big loss. :)
Algaris
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Algaris »

Any one of the following will make me happy:

Zherisia, Wildlands, House of Lament, Vorostokov, Nidala, Bluetspur,
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

One of the Seas. It helps fill out the Core and provides a launch platform to another cluster/island.

If you focus on the clusters and islands right off the bat, it's going to mean "ending" with the Core seas, which is going to be something of a lowmark after exploring the Amber Wastes and Blutspur. I think that, pace wise, it would make sense to start off with similar areas (Sourgane, the Western Sea, The Shadow Born Cluster, The Eastern Sea) before you start moving away from European Gothic and move onto the other areas.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Undead Cabbage
Evil Genius
Evil Genius
Location: In one of Neil Gaiman's books, or at least I wish I was.

Post by Undead Cabbage »

Paridon or the Shining Bay Cluster. But I'm admittedly biased. Razz
I second Llana. Btw, the shining Bay is the interpretation of Nosos, Paridon, and Timor as all being separate areas of one bay.

Particularily Paridon would be interesting. I would LOVE this. Not to mention, the Van Richten's guide that was supposed to be after the Mists was indeed serial killers: something that fits very well in Paridon (although the next guide was technically never released.)

Dopplegangers can be frightening things when you get down to it. They can be anyone, any where, can get any information they want, hurt any one they desire. When someone says 'They're out to get me', dopplegangers are the 'They' they're talking about.

Not to mention, I'd say a gothic horror Campaign setting needs a 'London'. A healthy portion of our beloved Gothic Horror literature comes from Victorian England. Just think: the supports of 'Paridon Bridge' could be underwater living walls made of the flesh and bones of children (which is the urban legend behind the song about the bridge, if I may recall).
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Oh. I don't think we should mess with the clusters, yet.

Detail the domains as they appeared in 3.5, then start messing with them when we've finished.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Don Fernando
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by Don Fernando »

My vote goes for the Amber Wastes Cluster. My favorite cluster. Although I will go for the Shadowborn cluster also.. :D
"6 out of 10 Rakshasas eat Whiskas"
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I would stick to the core for now... So, the seas remain.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Rather than favor a particular site, I'll recommend this: concentrate on locations that have more "canon" source material to start with -- modules, novels, and/or treatments in supplements -- before tackling the ones we know virtually nothing about. Firstly, because domains that rated more attention from TSR are probably more popular than those that were left relatively untouched -- on one hand, TSR probably chose those domains to set their adventures or stories in, for marketing-related reasons; on the other, places with products are likely more appreciated by the fans, since there's actually "canon" reasons to go there -- and secondly, because it'll give our writers more practice, building on existing themes, before they have to concoct stuff purely from scratch.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Lucius
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Lucius »

First option: Nosos

Followed by:

Shadowborn cluster, Bluetspur or Frozen Reaches.
Boccaccio Barbarossa
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Boccaccio Barbarossa »

Tough one. They all have some good points and some great potential. But, if I have to cast my votes... (in no particular order)

Frozen Reaches: I'm taking Russian lessons, so that slavic flavour works for me.

I have to admit to a soft spot with Sri Raji, but that's just because of an appreciation of indian culture of late.

And bring on the Amber Wastes! Gotta love it!

Wow. I pretty much voted for everything. loL!
Barbarossa Vineyards - Fine Brandies. The choice of true connaisseurs. (Located an hour's ride outside of Karina.)

A loose collection of writings about our (sometimes) ongoing campaign. http://ravenloft.inoveryourhead.net/