Hold your breath! (was: Not once but twice! More coming?)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Good news that.
I didn't have this one, as I couldn't find it.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

You can get the old I, Strahd on half.com for small change.

Edit: Ah I see your from Greece. Well that of course changes it. Half.com delivers to US only.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Found this on the Game Report site.

http://www.gamingreport.com/gallery/d/1 ... G_4801.JPG
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I may be in the minority here, but I think it's time for Ravenloft fans to embrace Ravenloft no longer as a low-magic setting but a medium-magic setting.

I for one am willing to embrace this change.
NykylaiHellray
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by NykylaiHellray »

What a perfect way to get into ravenloft, with a new ravenloft book ^_^ I so look foward to this.

:oops: though embrassingly I have only played d&d once.........damn DM friend leaving to cornwall
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

From the WotC catalog:

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft
Bruce R. Cordell and James Wyatt
Revisit a classic D&D adventure, now expanded and updated!
Expedition to Castle Ravenloft is a 224-page D&D adventure that harkens back to classic 1st-edition adventure, Ravenloft. This adventure expands on the original adventure, introduces some never-before-seen threats, and features a new encounter format designed to make running the adventure easier for the Dungeon Master.
Oct. 10, 2006; 224 page hardcover, $34.95
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Ail
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ail »

I still can't see how they are making a single adventure at 220+ pages and plus, for that price! 35$00 is too much for only an adventure, don't you think?
And hardback too....

Hmmm...

Unless they put in a lot of flavour text, that makes encounters outside the castle genuinely interesting. Perhaps there is some new plot there?
I wonder....
Zumba d'Oxossi (A Stitch in Souragne)
Brother Eustace (The Devil's Dreams)
Robert de Moureaux (A New Barovia)
Darkknight
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Darkknight »

Dion, not so much the minority. I like to run a low to medium. It is hard to gauge the effect of magic in Ravenloft. I truly like to have the players treasure the magic they have obtained, but the basis that each magic item in Ravenloft is going to have some unique history because of the rarity of magic is absurd to me.

I like players to have to work for their items, not having every peasant in the world having rings plus one like certain settings.

A little more magic will not destroy the feel of the setting.
I remember the first war, the way the sky burned... Faces of angels destroyed.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

I kind of split the difference. Expendable magic items like potions and scrolls, even wands at higher levels, aren't that much rarer than in your average game-world; spellcasters in Ravenloft aren't numerous, but they tend to retire earlier than those in other worlds (because they get the living daylights scared out of them :twisted: ), so a lot of them surely end up making temporary items to keep in practice and gird themselves against threats. Permanent items, like weapons or wondrous items, tend to be quite rare IMC, with their own histories, and the really hard-to-make items (like rings or rods) are virtually unknown except as imports some Mist-napped adventurer dragged into the setting with them.
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Ail wrote:I still can't see how they are making a single adventure at 220+ pages and plus, for that price! 35$00 is too much for only an adventure, don't you think?
And hardback too....
i don't know, they've definitly done more with less.
Its all a matter of expanding what has already been done. Turn House of Strahd from an advetnure into a mini-campaign.
First, of course, they have to expalin the ground rules of Ravenloft. That ould eat up a whole chapter.
Then they're going to have to go into the background of Strahd, and any other characters involved. Then, they could stat out villagers, gypsies, nobles, and other people and attach side quests to the characters.
They could create minions of varying power to work for and against Strahd.
All this would serve as a few adventures to level the party up and equip them with the gear they'll need to fight strahd. As well, depending on the taroka reading, they will have different plot lines to go through.

Then comes the House of Strahd encounter - easily the main event.
And afterwards, they might need one final adventure to root out Strahd's final coffins and purge him from the realm.

All and all, that could easily fill a hardcover book.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Plus a chapter with 16 new PrCs! Wow!

:roll:

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:Plus a chapter with 16 new PrCs! Wow!

:roll:

Joël
*shudders*
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Yeah... 224 pages sounds a bit unbelievable... Especially since the new standard for WotC books is at 160 pages... Either they're counting with Castle RL being something like the module of the year, or they are indeed publishing a pocket-setting with it, OR they are not giving the right info on amazon... :?
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Rafael wrote:Yeah... 224 pages sounds a bit unbelievable... Especially since the new standard for WotC books is at 160 pages... Either they're counting with Castle RL being something like the module of the year, or they are indeed publishing a pocket-setting with it, OR they are not giving the right info on amazon... :?
Maybe they're expanding Castle Ravenloft the way they did with the Temple of Elemental Evil? :?
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
Jonathan Winters
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jonathan Winters »

Care to elaborate Jakob?

I remember the old module from 172 years ago...

Patrick