Northern Crown and MotRD

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Northern Crown and MotRD

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello,

Without having read or owning the books from Atlas Games, I wonder if someone already tried to mix the settings a bit,
now that Masque of the Jade Horror is just a broken promise... :wink:

Any opinions welcome!

Yours,

Rafael
Le Noir Faineant

Really, has no one tried so far? - I am disappointed! :wink:
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

I got the books and was thinking the exact same thing. I think there is plenty of opportunity, especially with issues like slavery and the upcoming conflict between the Commonwealth of England (Puritans) and the Coven of Naumkeg (a society of witchlings) sparked by land disputes and the famous witch hallucinations of Salem. Imagine if somebody was trying to provoke a war between the two powers?

Northern Crown has a higher magic level than Gothic Earth, approaching a normal D&D world. Some of the classes have a lot of promise. Like the Witch who can dress in black to get AC bonuses and casts spells through the mastery of an imp. The natural philospher class uses science to create spell-like abilities and has spell lists based on degree of specialization. It might make for good Mordenheims. What did you want to hear about in particular?
Le Noir Faineant

Thank you! :) So, the rules can't really be combined? - I toyed with the idea of buying the books out of that reason, but from what you say and what I read, it might be an interesting setting, but really compatible.
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

Which rules did you want to combine? I think you could fit the powers checks, madness/horror/fear checks and Masque monster powers in. The game is fantasy version of North America that takes certain liberties with history (like some of the Vikings that came over survived to colonize certain parts of the mainland instead of leaving). The magic level resembles more to the level of D&D (perhaps slightly less as arcane magic is generally looked down upon by the Uropan powers) than Masque of the Red Death. The setting takes place in early colonial days, 1666 IIRC, but it has some of the trappings of later periods (like prestige classes based on Johnny Appleseed as well as Paul Bundy in addition to a headless horseman monster). It uses several of the D&D core classes (wizard, sorcerer, cleric bard, and druid) as well as putting some new classes (agent, natural philosopher, raider, rake, scout, soldier, and witch). They are all generally much more powerful than the classes in Masque of the Red Death.

Also, if you are curious, the book is linked to the African equivalent: Nyambe, which has its own book.

Edit: here's some reviews of Northern Crown:

http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=r ... id=2392922

http://www.enworld.org/reviews.php?do=r ... id=2397801

I think the main points of contention between Gothic Earth and Northern Crown would bet time period and level of magic/fantasy. It would probably be very difficult to try to mix the two class systems together. However, I think you could mix the essential essence of Gothic Earth (ie. human dominant and the existence of the Red Death as a malignant force) with Northern Crown.
Le Noir Faineant

The Lesser Evil wrote: I think the main points of contention between Gothic Earth and Northern Crown would bet time period and level of magic/fantasy. It would probably be very difficult to try to mix the two class systems together. However, I think you could mix the essential essence of Gothic Earth (ie. human dominant and the existence of the Red Death as a malignant force) with Northern Crown.
Thank you! That is more or less what I wanted to know. Then, I'll save the 60$ for some other game instead. :) Apparently, apart from MotRD material itself, there's no game material one can easily mix...