Classic Horror Film Review: "Phantasm"

Books, movies, television and everything else
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Classic Horror Film Review: "Phantasm"

Post by Steve Miller »

With Halloween fast approaching, I figured I'd put up a film review to inspire those of you looking for a bit of scary movie entertainment.
Phantasm
Starring: Michael Baldwin, Reggie Bannister, and Angus Scrimm
Director: Don Coscarelli
Five of Five Stars

There are very few movies I've seen more than once in the theatre. "Phantasm" is one of those. I saw it on the Big Screen in 1980 or so, and was SEVERELY creeped out by it. Then I went to see it again the next night... and I was creeped out again! To this day, it remains one of my favourite horror movies.

The story revolves around Mike (Baldwin), a kid who discovers something odd is happening at the local funeral home. He does some investigating and is soon swept up into a vortex of nightmares swirling around the mysterious undertaker known as the Tall Man (Scrimm). His older brother and the brother's best friend Reggie (Bannister) are also caught up in the unfolding events which become more and more like a nightmare.

Even some twenty-five years later, I am amazed at how frightning things that I might well laugh at in other flicks seems in "Phantasm."

The slow-motion shot of the Tall Man walking past Reggie working at his ice cream truck; the chittering robed servents of the Tall Man; the flying, skull-puncturing silver ball of death; the transforming severed body-parts... all of these still seem scary, even from my now-jaded perspective. Much of the film's power comes from its simple yet well-crafted electronic score and a masterful use of sound effects. The final moment of the film STILL makes me jump, even though I now it's coming, and much of the shock comes from the audio rather than the visual.

"Phantasm" is another one of those horror movies that prove that they just don't make 'em like this anymore.
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

cant say that i've seen it, but now i'm inspired to rent it. thanx. it seems like there was a number of great horror movies in the 80's whose quality has remained even in this new era of CGI.
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Now you're making me feel old. I saw 'Phantasm' in the theatre when it was first released. I was home from college at the time, and tagged along with my sister & her date. Movie was OK, but I thought 'Halloween' was scarier. I recall that I raced home before them, and set up a small robed figure clutching a kitchen knife in her room (used a music stand and a bathrobe). I still savor the blood-curdling scream that she let out when she saw it, and I recall how I laughed as she chased me with that knife after that. Ah, memories of good times past... :lol:
I only wish I had retired sooner!