Anyone else watch The Batman vs. Dracula TV movie last night

Books, movies, television and everything else
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Anyone else watch The Batman vs. Dracula TV movie last night

Post by Brandi »

? (cut off)

I watched bits of it. To be honest, I find The Batman a BIG letdown after BTAS-- and I can't say as this TV movie improved my opinion of the show-- but I was curious if anyone else'd seen it.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Anyone else watch The Batman vs. Dracula TV movie last n

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Brandi wrote:? (cut off)

I watched bits of it. To be honest, I find The Batman a BIG letdown after BTAS-- and I can't say as this TV movie improved my opinion of the show-- but I was curious if anyone else'd seen it.
The Batman is rubbish. The Joker is a Rastafarian crack dealer, the Penguin a chav in a suit, Mr Freeze has lost all of the emotional resonance that BTAS gave him (the comics even incorporated Mr Freeze's backstory from the cartoon into the canon because they liked it that much), Catwoman looks like a bat (they've tried, badly, to copy her costume from Hush), Bane looks like a reject from Mucha Lucha! ad I hope to all the Gods that they leave Harley Quinn out of it. She was a BTAS character first (she was created for the cartoon and was so popular they added her to the comics).

Oh, and on the subject of Batman films, Mark Hamill for the Joker and Britanny Murphy for Harley Quinn!
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Batman TAS was amazing, they took the best of the comic and movies, updated it, and made everything better.
The Batman feels like the Catwoman movie, it feels like its written by someone who only peripherally knows about the comic and has never read any of the stories and has no idea about what makes a good Batman character, villain or plot.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

What I want to know about The Batman is why does Bruce Wayne live in the Addams Family's house and why is it in the middle of Gotham City?
Seamus
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Seamus »

I didn't see it, but it can't possibly have been any worse than the vampire-themed episode of Smallville last night. *shudder*
"The sun is just a nuclear weapon that hasn't finished killing us yet." Eve, Diesel Sweeties, by R. Stevens.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Indeed, The Batman is a transparent attempt to appeal to younger generations. Bruce Wayne is now a wise-cracking brat, who hangs out near a computer, goes looking for trouble for pretty much no reason, and is basically as slave to his instant messaging system - just like today's youth.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Well, let's try not to slip into "You damn kids, getoffa my lawn!" mode just yet... :D

I do think the show's problem is that they were probably told "DON'T be like BTAS"-- which means they have an awful hard row to hoe since BTAS was a very high-quality series.

That said, I also agree that quite a few of their editiorial decisions (particularly the Joker looking like something designed by an unusually un-retarded Juggalo) were mistakes, and they tend to tell, not show. I don't think kids are *that* dumb-- heck, if they've got the brainspace to handle all the trivia associated with game/shows like Yu-Gi-Oh, you probably don't have to put exposition on every little thing...

The saddest part, to me, is that because The Batman exists, most of the rogues' gallery is now off-limits to Justice League Unlimited, which is probably why we'll be seeing a lot more of The Flash's large rogues' gallery this season.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Brandi wrote:Well, let's try not to slip into "You damn kids, getoffa my lawn!" mode just yet... :D

I do think the show's problem is that they were probably told "DON'T be like BTAS"-- which means they have an awful hard row to hoe since BTAS was a very high-quality series.

That said, I also agree that quite a few of their editiorial decisions (particularly the Joker looking like something designed by an unusually un-retarded Juggalo) were mistakes, and they tend to tell, not show. I don't think kids are *that* dumb-- heck, if they've got the brainspace to handle all the trivia associated with game/shows like Yu-Gi-Oh, you probably don't have to put exposition on every little thing...

The saddest part, to me, is that because The Batman exists, most of the rogues' gallery is now off-limits to Justice League Unlimited, which is probably why we'll be seeing a lot more of The Flash's large rogues' gallery this season.
At least Lex Luthor is still around, the Brainiac thing at the end of last season rocked. It's just a shame because Mark Hamill's Joker is the best interpretation of the character ever, more so than Jack Nicholson.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I should've clarified: most of BATMAN'S rogues' gallery is off-limits, because they're being used in The Batman. Strangely, so's Solomon Grundy (who apparently showed up in an episode).

The Supes villains are all fair game.
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

Anyone else bothered by the simple fact it's called the Batman?

But yeah, the show sucks. They should have just bought the rights to BTAS and aired that instead.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

I don't know The Batman isn't too bad of a title. I think it was even in the Batman movie by Tim Burton. I always kind of liked that name - it suggests that he's some sort of freakish monster.

As for Batman villians, I know that Solomon Grundy was on one of those Justice League episodes (though they did kill him... again). As well, the Joker was on one of the older Justice League episodes, so he could feasibly make another appearance.
So long as Batman is still part of the Justice League show, there will always be an opening into whatever villians come with the Batman licence. Its not as if the makers of The Batman has an exclusive deal.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:I don't know The Batman isn't too bad of a title. I think it was even in the Batman movie by Tim Burton. I always kind of liked that name - it suggests that he's some sort of freakish monster.

As for Batman villians, I know that Solomon Grundy was on one of those Justice League episodes (though they did kill him... again). As well, the Joker was on one of the older Justice League episodes, so he could feasibly make another appearance.
So long as Batman is still part of the Justice League show, there will always be an opening into whatever villians come with the Batman licence. Its not as if the makers of The Batman has an exclusive deal.
Actually... They have said that they are not allowed to use any] Batman villians in Justice League Unlimited.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

Is there going to be a new season of Justice League Unlimited?
The last I saw of it, The JLU had just patched things up with the Gov't and Superman got vetoed on disbanning the League. I thought that was the last ep.
Have they made more? Are they making more?
ARGH!!!!
I hate being out of the loop!!!!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Grundy's not a batman villian. He was originally a Green Lantern villian.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Tessa wrote:Is there going to be a new season of Justice League Unlimited?
The last I saw of it, The JLU had just patched things up with the Gov't and Superman got vetoed on disbanning the League. I thought that was the last ep.
Have they made more? Are they making more?
ARGH!!!!
I hate being out of the loop!!!!
Yes there is. The new season's started on Cartoon Network in the states and has aired 4 episodes.