Death of a Darklord rereleased?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Perhaps, but let's not go into a Publisher's Clearing House mode.

"If we buy every subscription, we're sure to win!"
Evil Reigns!!!!
taintedsoul
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by taintedsoul »

Something that comes to my mind is that the company may be re-editing the book, making it mesh more with Canon.

Another thing that comes to mind is that they might be trying to feel out the market. If the demand for the novel is strong, they might publish new novels and even restart the setting. A good run of fiction might create a demand for the setting again.

One of the things that points in this direction is the publishing of Heros of Horror, as well as DoaDL. WoTC has standard (and some non-standard) fantasy settings, but nothing (AFAIK) in the way of a horror setting. It could be that they are feeling out to see if this niche market is strong enough for an effort and the obvious expense, of developing.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Perhaps, but again, let's not encourage people to buy books they don't want (or already own) under the idea that such actions might get Wotc to start up the line again.

In of itself, such a marketing stategy would be foolharty at best. All of those novels are many years old and can be found at used bookstores and libraries all over North America. As well, a number of those books (like Death of a Darklord) have already been given awful reviews.
All together, that suggests that this second run of the novels is only going to attack a tiny fraction of the market for Ravenloft novels.

From that, we can deduce that IF this is a strategy to test the markets, THEN who ever is doing it can't be very bright (or just isn't paying attention), THEREFORE the results of said marketing experiment will either be fatally skewed, or not be used to form a proper conclusion.

Next, I highly doibt that any of the books will be rewritten to sync with canon. Since that entails rewriting an authors work, that would be violation of publishing ethics. It makes even less sense for them to get the original authors to rewrite their own work, since if they were going to spend that kind of money, they would just commision a new novel (which would definitly sell better than any reprint).
Evil Reigns!!!!
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I've asked the author message board about this question: it isn't a new book, and it hasn't changed a iota.

It's just a re-release with a new cover.

I agree with my colleague Stephen. On buying it? I won't since I have the previous release. However, if I didn't have it yet, then I would probably buy it.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Perhaps, but again, let's not encourage people to buy books they don't want (or already own) under the idea that such actions might get Wotc to start up the line again.

In of itself, such a marketing stategy would be foolharty at best. All of those novels are many years old and can be found at used bookstores and libraries all over North America.
I feel the same way about the slew of old Dragonlance novels that WotC has been re-publishing for the last year or two. I bought them when they first came out (1980's), and have no need to have another copy of each one with a different cover now. I wonder how well these are selling, and if that, combined with what letters & requests we have sent to WotC, is what is prompting them to republish DoaD/Ravenloft line novels now?
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:I've asked the author message board about this question: it isn't a new book, and it hasn't changed a iota.

It's just a re-release with a new cover.

I agree with my colleague Stephen. On buying it? I won't since I have the previous release. However, if I didn't have it yet, then I would probably buy it.

Joël
So if I get this straight, they are actually rereleasing one of the worst (IMHO) RL book ever written?
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

*Crosses fingers and hopes for Carnival of fear rerelease*
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
Matthew L. Martin
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Matthew L. Martin »

Charney wrote: So if I get this straight, they are actually rereleasing one of the worst (IMHO) RL book ever written?
They're doing it to cash in on Laurell K. Hamilton's popularity--the May--August 2006 catalog makes this quite explicit, giving her name the kind of billing usually reserved for Salvatore or Weis & Hickman novels from WotC, and promoting it as a 'lost gem' from Hamilton.

Matthew L. Martin
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Have you all seen that Death of a Darklord has been RE-re-released? Last year, it came out as a large size paperback selling for $13 US, if you didn't buy it then, you have another chance. This month, it has again hit the bookstore shelves, now as a regular size paperback going for $8 US.
HuManBing
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by HuManBing »

I gather the author wrote a stinker of a non canonical RL novel, then went on to rhapsodize about lurid sex and vampires in later novels.

I suppose it's karmic balance. For every Weis and Hickman, TSR/WotC picks up an equal and opposite Hamilton...
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Meh. I doubt if the re-re-release of Hamilton's travesty will do any more damage than it already has. :roll:

OTOH, this probably means the other Covenant reprints will be coming out in mass-market form in turn. (DoaD was the first novel to be re-released.) That's not a bad thing, as it'll put Ravenloft back on the main scifi/fantasy bookshelves of stores that segregate their trade paperbacks from the rest.

On a positive note, Scholar of Decay appears as a trade paperback this month. Rodent-lovers, take note! :D
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Matthew L. Martin wrote: They're doing it to cash in on Laurell K. Hamilton's popularity--the May--August 2006 catalog makes this quite explicit, giving her name the kind of billing usually reserved for Salvatore or Weis & Hickman novels from WotC, and promoting it as a 'lost gem' from Hamilton.
They might not have timed it very well-- I think her latest didn't chart nearly as high as everyone hoped, and her current fans will probably be wondering about the lack of group sex with guys whose schlongs are the size of 22oz beer cans.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I've only read one, the first Anita Blake, and I've had enough. It was lame and how she depicts the human emotions in face of various situations simply not credible.

But Brandi you seems to have read her more than I did? :lol:

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I have read most of the Anita Blake novels. Recently, I heard about the popularity of the Stephanie Meyer books, ("Eclipse" is currently on the best seller list), and read those. It was apparent to me that Meyer is taking the premise of Hamilton's work, and presenting a "teen" version of it. I for one became tired quickly with ALL the teen angst! (more angst than even Anne Rice gives!) Obviously there's a market for it, they are selling well, and Meyer has been making the rounds on the TV talk shows.
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Guys, it was just published in Italy.
Are you sure that's Kartakass? Or that that's how things are supposed to work in the Demiplane?
Grofpsz. :?
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda