Death of a Darklord rereleased?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Death of a Darklord rereleased?

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Quoted from the RL mailing list, thanks to Mathew for the info!

Good News: WotC is putting a RAVENLOFT novel back into print this July.

Bad News: It's _Death of a Darklord_

Details at this link:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=books

I don't know why it's $14.95, although my guess would be it's being
rereleased in trade paperback format. I can _guess_ as to why they picked this
one--Laurell K. Hamilton has become a big name in recent years.

Matthew L. Martin
Huh?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Well, if it's the "Death of a Darklord" we all know and hate, er....xm...xm... well detest perhaps, then it's a shame really... :( There are other RL novels which are certainly worthy of a reprint (The Strahd books, Vampire of the Mists, Ravenloft Tales etc.) I couldn't help but notice that there is actually something more to the title: "The Ravenloft Covenant" which I don't remember being in the old book. Could it be a sequel, or something else entirely? Could it mean that WotC forced Sword and Sorcery to discontinue the line so that WotC themselves would once more take the reins?
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Joël of the FoS

Well it's either an Amazon mess up (it has happened before), or a new book?

The ISBN isn't the same.

I've searched the WotC site - nothing on this.

I've asked the author.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

What is the "Ravenloft Covenant" thing?

Also, the original was only 313 pages not 320 therefore, it might be a new book or revised from the older one.

I liked DoaDl, personally.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Maximillian
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Maximillian »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:The ISBN isn't the same.
Can we now safely assume, that this is not a rerelease?

Let's hope you get an answer Joel. :D
OI!!! Don't call me tall, you f@$%&£* midgets!!!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Stygian Inquirer wrote:What is the "Ravenloft Covenant" thing?

Also, the original was only 313 pages not 320 therefore, it might be a new book or revised from the older one.

I liked DoaDl, personally.
Me too, but I had the benefit from reading it in the 3rd Ed era, when the girl's powers could be ascribed to sorcery.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

It's got to be the same book. Perhaps with a new formatting or preface. Same author, same title.

The ISBN doesn't matter, observe these 2 editions of Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, both paperback, with 2 different ISBN's:

The Ravenloft Covenant thing is probably one of two things:
1) An attempt to woo Laurell K. Hamilton fans into buying it by attaching a word often linked to Vampires and fool them into thinking it's another of her vampire novels. (I haven't read them, so I don't know if she uses that term or not.)

2) (unlikely, but we can hope...) A start of a new line of Ravenloft novels and/or reprints.

Either way, it shouldn't have anything to do with the change in license, since the WW license never covered novels, WotC could have done this at any time they wanted.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Me too, but I had the benefit from reading it in the 3rd Ed era, when the girl's powers could be ascribed to sorcery.
Since when is healing on the sorceror spell list? ;)

The girl's powers were the lease of my troubles with the novel. I've blocked most of the rest out....
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Interesting. I found the author's own message board and posted the question there. We'll see :)

Back with the answer when I have it.

Joël
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

gonzoron wrote:
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Me too, but I had the benefit from reading it in the 3rd Ed era, when the girl's powers could be ascribed to sorcery.
Since when is healing on the sorceror spell list? ;)

The girl's powers were the lease of my troubles with the novel. I've blocked most of the rest out....
In 3rd Edition, sorcerers can add pretty any spell to their spell list if they have been exposed to it or have given it study, including spells from other classes. This is not very common though. A sorcerer could learn Cure Light Wounds from a Bard or Cleric through study for example.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Stygian Inquirer wrote: In 3rd Edition, sorcerers can add pretty any spell to their spell list if they have been exposed to it or have given it study, including spells from other classes. This is not very common though. A sorcerer could learn Cure Light Wounds from a Bard or Cleric through study for example.
BWHA?!?! :shock: Where did you read that! The sorcerer has specifically a Sorcerer Spell List that it shares with the wizard. It doesn't get to pick and choose from any spell out there.

Hey, it might be one of your house rules, but perhaps you could quote the page from the PHB that allows that.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

From page 54 of the Player's Handbook:
These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list (page 192), or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of from study.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

By which, it is assumed, the player can make an add his own spells.
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

I always assumed that meant the sorceror could use spells found outside of the PH, in newer books. While the sorceror could use all the help he can get, balance-wise, I don't think crossing the acrane healing boundary would be appropriate. (I'm still not sure I like bards healing, even if it is in the rules.) But perhaps that's another thread....
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

Wow, what a rediculously ambiguous thing to put in the PHB. I never noticed that one...