Converting 3.0 Ravenloft Prestige Classes to 3.5

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Metaphysician

Post by Mortavius »

The Pickled Punk wrote:Metaphysician
Lecturer: At forst level the Metaphysician gains 4 ranks in Perform (Oratory).
Alchemical Healing: At 3rd level the Metaphysician gains the Brew Potion feat, but only for making potions of cure light wounds. If Cure Light wounds is not on his spell list, treat it as being on the spell list for purposes of this ability only.
Hypnosis: At 4th level the Metaphysician gains Hypnosis as a class skill.
I would change the Lecturer ability to a simple bonus feat of Skill Focus (Preform Oratory). Nothing else in D&D usually gives free ranks in skills; I don't see why this should.
I might change Alchemical Healing as well, to make it that they can make Healing Salves (in one of the Complete books, I believe). These are nonmagical healing salves that cure something like 2d4 HP or something similar. A bit more scientific in feeling.
As well, why not just make Hypnosis a class skill for them in the prestige class rather than waiting till 4th level? It's simpler.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: True Innocent

Post by Mortavius »

The Pickled Punk wrote:True Innocent
Change Requirements to:
Special: Must be proficient in a single simple weapon.
I would get rid of this, since even members of the Commoner NPC class are proficient in a single simple weapon. I can't think of a single base class that doesn't have this ability, so that makes the requirement redundant.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Scourge

Post by Mortavius »

The Pickled Punk wrote: Scourge
Special: Another Scourge must consider the character worthyof training. The prospective Scourge must endure hours of torture without breaking (Will save, DC 20).
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Scourges are proficient in all simple weapons, the cat-o-nine-tails, the poker, and the whip. They gain no proficiency in armor or shields.
Pinpoint Agony (Ex): A Scourge studies pressure points in the humanoid body. When she makes a successful critical hit against a humanoid creature with an unarmed strike, the opponent is stunned for one round.
Mask of the Torturer (Ex): At 3rd level a Scourge gains a +2 bonus to Bluff and Intimidate. In addition, any uses of Sense Motive against the Scourge have a -2 penalty. The bonus/penalty increases to +4/-4 at 7th level.
For the special requirement, I would suggest that the torture rules be used from Book of Vile Darkness (if the DM is using that book).
For the weapon proficiencies, I would suggest simplifying it to say that the Scourge gets proficiency in all simple weapons, whips, and scourges (which is an actual weapon that duplicates the cat o'nine tails). I can't see the Scourge using the Poker as a weapon, more as an implement of torture, where a victim is bound. It's easy to use anything on someone who is helpless.
For the Pinpoint Agony ability, I would simplify it to say that the Scourge gets Stunning Fist as a bonus feat without having to meet the prerequisites, and if this feat is already possessed, the Scourge may choose another feat for which he meets the prerequisites.
For the Mask of the Torturer ability, I like the bonus to Bluff checks, but I'm, not so sure about the penalty to Sense Motive on others parts. A Sense Motive check is opposed by a Bluff check, which the Scourge already gets a bonus for. In effect, you're doubling the bonus to the Scourge gets in this one instance, and making it more cumbersome rules-wise with having to remember a penalty when normally such a thing doesn't occur.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: The Nightlord

Post by Mortavius »

The Pickled Punk wrote: Nightlord
Sense Sinkholes of Evil (Su): A Nightlord can sense all sinkholes of evil within her Darklord's Domain, and can tell what rank the sinkhole is. See the RLPHB and RLDMG for more details on sinkholes of evil.
Horrifying Designs (Su): At 5th level a Nightlord's features become permantly twisted. Add + 1 to her Base Outcast Rating. Furthermore, by performing a ritual she may force all enemies within 10' to make a horror save (DC 10 + the Nightlord's class level). This ability takes a full round action to complete. Using this ability calls for a 5% Dark Powers check.
I would suggest that the Sensing ability be changed to a range like 60'. The Nightlord isn't the Darklord after all; I see no reason to allow the character to sense things throughout the entire domain.
For the Horrifying Designs ability, I would personally increase the OR penalty to +3 instead of +1, and clean up the wording somewhat. Instead of a "ritual" I would change it to a supernatural ability which distorts and disfigures the Nightlord with an illusion momentarilty (which means it can vary from character to character and situation to situation) and I would have it affect all within 30' (standard distance for gaze attacks). As well, the DC should be determined by setting it at 10 + the Nightlord's class level + his Charisma modifier. Stronger-personality Nightlords should be harder to resist than weaker-personality ones.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

By the by, does anyone else think the whole "virtue" system is overly complex? I'm thinking of just adapting the Exalted idea from Book of Exalted Deeds in it's place. Instead of a step program, a character is simply Exalted or not. Exalted characters get access to exalted feats, prestige classes, spells, etc.
I'm fine with the Powers Check system and such; although I think I might apply the Vile status at maybe the third or fourth step along the path (thus, characters might be able to take Vile feats and such when they reach sufficient corruption).