Converting 3.0 Ravenloft Prestige Classes to 3.5

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Black Powder Avenger

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

JinnTolser wrote:If only it were an actual monkey...
Sigh... my gunsmith PC's player is constantly asking for an actual monkey ever since he read this PrC. The Ranger has agreed to train it to load guns if they ever find one.... :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

And, I bet, they will never find one... lol
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Powder Monkeys!

Post by The Pickled Punk »

Well, there are always the Dakons. And the Gromman. And the Hadozee. Those would be some real Powder Monkeys! :)
The Kosher Pickled Punk of the Carnival
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Detective

Back to the serious stuff, no more Powder Monkey jokes! (Alright, just a few more :) )

Detective

Change Class Skills to read:

Aprraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, except the planes), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (--), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis).

Class Features:

Knowledge (law): A detective gets a +2 bonus to Knowledge (local) and Knowldege (nobility and royalty) checks made to determine the local laws. He gets a -10 penalty when in an unfamiliar domain, this penalty reduced by -2 for each week spent in the domain.

Chemistry (Ex): A detective gets a +4 insight bonus to Craft (alchemy) checks which are made to identify substances.

Investigative Feat: At 3rd level, 7th level and 9th level a detective gains a bonus feat from the following list: Alertness, Negotiator, Diligent, Investigator, and Persuasive.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 4th level a detective gains Uncanny Dodge. See the rogue class feature. If the detective has uncanny dodge already, he gains improved uncanny dodge instead.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 6th level the detective gains Improved Uncanny Dodge. See the rogue class feature.
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Dilettante

Dilettante

Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Diplomacy (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills except the planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language (--).

Class Features

Spells: Dilettantes cast spells from the Bard spell list. They may cast spells without preparing them. A dilettente knows only a certain number of spells. At 4th level, and every even level after that, they may "lose" a spell and learn a new one in it's place.

Dabbler: At 2nd, 5th, and 7th level, a Dilettante may selesct a cross-class skill. It becomes a class skill for her.

Master Diplomat: At 4th level a Dilettante gains the feat Skill Focus (diplomacy), with a +5 bonus rather than a +3 bonus.

Seen About Town: At 8th level a Dilettante gains the feat Skill Focus (Gather Information) with a +5 bonus, rather than a +3 bonus.

Dilettante Spells Known:

0 1 2 3
1 3 - - -- --
2 4 2 -- --
3 5 3 -- --
4 6 3 2 --
5 6 4 2 --
6 6 4 3 2
7 6 4 3 3
8 6 5 4 3
9 6 6 4 3
10 6 6 5 4

Dilettante Spells per Day

0 1 2 3
1 2 -- -- --
2 3 0 -- --
3 3 1 -- --
4 3 2 0 --
5 4 2 1 --
6 4 2 2 0
7 5 2 2 1
8 5 3 2 2
9 6 3 3 2
10 6 3 3 3
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Metaphysician

Metaphysician

Just as a side note, this PrC gave Azalin a ton of headaches back in the day, especially the "astral projection" ability gained at 10th level.

Change Requirements to read:

Base Attack Bonus: +3

Skills: Sense Motive 5 ranks

Feats: Negotiator

Spellcasting: The character must be able to cast 0-level spells.

Restriction: Cloud Men's Minds

Morality: Must be Virtuous.

Concentration (Cha), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and (Spellcraft)

Weapons and Armor Proficiency: Metaphysicians gain no weapon or armor proficiencies.

Spells Per Day: When a Metaphysician advances a level she gains spells as if she had advanced a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained (such as bonus item creation or metamagic feats, improved turn undead, or improved wildshape). If the character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a metaphysician, she must decide which class to add the levels of Metaphysician for the purpose of determining spells.

Cloud Men's Minds: When learning new spells, the metaphysician may only learn mind-affecting spells.

Lecturer: At forst level the Metaphysician gains 4 ranks in Perform (Oratory).

Alchemical Healing: At 3rd level the Metaphysician gains the Brew Potion feat, but only for making potions of cure light wounds. If Cure Light wounds is not on his spell list, treat it as being on the spell list for purposes of this ability only.

Hypnosis: At 4th level the Metaphysician gains Hypnosis as a class skill.

Master Lecturer: The Metaphysician must have ebough ranks in Perform (oratory) to use these abilities: Inspire Courage: 6 ranks, Inspire Competence 9 ranks and 7th level Metaphysician, Fascinate 9 ranks and 7th level Metaphysician, Suggestion 12 ranks and 10th level Metaphysician. If the Metaphysician has the bardic music ability, the uses per day stack.

Ethereal Jaunt: This ability is gained at 10th level, not 8th.

Ignore the Astral Projection ability.
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

True Innocent

True Innocent

Another wonderful PrC from HoL. Designed really for those of the Commoner class who want to help in the battle against darkness in Ravenloft.

Change Requirements to:

Base Attack Bonus: +1

Special: Must be proficient in a single simple weapon.

Morality: Innocent. Should the character ever lose her innocence, she loses all class features.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: True Innocents gain no weapon or armor proficiency.
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

White Arcanist

White Arcanist

Change Requirements to read:

Base Attack Bonus: +2

Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 5 ranks

Feats: Spell Focus (Necromancy)

Race: Human, Dwarf or Halfling

Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 1st level arcane spells.

Morality: Virtuous (Note that soecial abilities are granted if the White Arcanist is Blessed).

Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int)

Class Features:

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: White Arcanists do not gain proficiency in any wepaons or armor.

Spells per Day: At 1st level, and every odd level afterwards, a White Arcanist gains spells as if he had advanced a level in an arcane spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not gain any other benefits a character of that class would have gained (such as improved bardic knowledge, additional spell secrets, or improved eldritch blast). If the character had more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a White Arcanist, he must decide which class to add the levels of White Arcanist to for the purpose of determing spells.

Spell Penetration: When first becoming a White Arcanist, a character must choose one school of magic (other than necromancy). From then on, when casting spells from his school or from the school of necromancy, he gains the benefit of the Spell Penetration feat.

Arcane Knowledge (Ex): A White Arcanist gains the ability to recall bits of arcane knowledge. Roll 1d20, add the character's White Arcanist level and his Int modifier, to see if he knows some bit of knowledge related to Darklords, the Mists, Undead or cursed items. See the Bardic Knowledge ability for details on how to set the DC. Like a bard, a White Arcanist chooses a home domain. Outside this domain he has the same penalties as a bard, and the same chance of lessening those penalties (see the RLPHB). A White Arcanist who falls from grace (i.e. loses his Virtue)retains Arcane Knowledge.

Necromantic Focus: Starting at 3rd level, a White Arcanist must gain spells only from his chosen school and the school of necromancy. In addition if he is Blessed he may cast gentle repose 1/day as a spell-like ability.
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

That wraps up Heroes of Light! (Thanks Giamarga for the help with the Scholar PrC). Now for Champions of Dorkness, er Darkness. There are good ideas in some of the PrCs in CoD, such as Highway Rider, Scourge, and Worldbreaker, it's just that the editing is atrocious, and all the PrCs only go up to level 5. For some PrCs that's okay, but I've always felt that Highway Rider and Scourge got shafted. So I'm going to try and revise all the PrCs in CoD, from scratch. Even the junky ones like Charlatan and Propagandist. Hopefully I will be able to start posting them this weekend.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

You're not doing the nightlord? ;)

Just curious, will you collect your recommendations into an article? I could help you if you want.

The due date for the next QtR is today, but if you tell us in advance, a few days more can be OK.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:You're not doing the nightlord? ;)
Well, he did say all of them, "even the junky ones." :wink:

Actually, this has been pretty interesting, though I'm still hemming and hawing over whether I want to persuade my friends to go d20 (well, one of them does want to run d20 Gamma World, so there we go) or actually do GURPS Ravenloft (which has its own set of issues)...
The Pickled Punk
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Don't worry Joel, I will do the Nightlord. I just need more time to finish the modifications to the CoD PrCs. The ones I did until now were relatively easy: just change the Class Skills, modify a class feature here and there, monkey with a requirement that makes no sense in 3.5. CoD needs special attention because of the shoddy editing and design work. Many of these classes are either overpowered for a 5 level PrC, or underpowered.

As for putting them in a Netbook, sure. What do I have to do?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

The Pickled Punk wrote:As for putting them in a Netbook, sure. What do I have to do?
Collect the info, add a few notes you think are important and send it to me :)

The first article can be with VRA and HoL. And later, other stuff :)

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

I have a question regarding 3.5 conversion. How would you convert a requirement of Scry 8 ranks?
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Black Powder Avenger

Post by Brandi »

gonzoron wrote:
JinnTolser wrote:If only it were an actual monkey...
Sigh... my gunsmith PC's player is constantly asking for an actual monkey ever since he read this PrC. The Ranger has agreed to train it to load guns if they ever find one.... :)
You know, having a Dread Companion with access to firearms is just *begging* for trouble.