The new Night Stalker series

Books, movies, television and everything else
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

The new Night Stalker series

Post by Tessa »

Has anyone seen the new "Night Stalker" series? I keep meaning to catch it but I get busy and miss it.
I am in the same boat with the series "Supernatural"
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Supernatural is entertaining. I missed last week's episode, but have enjoyed those that came before. It isn't frightening in any way, and the premise is pretty basic, but still engages you for an hour.

I've heard nothing but complaints about the new Kolchak series. Apparently they tore down and rewrote Kolchak's part to make him an award winning pretty boy crime reporter. The new character drives a 95 convertable mustang and lives in a small manor or something similar. He doesn't have that familiar wry sense of humor, he isn't witty and troublesome ... he's a poor man's Fox Mulder - right down to having his own female sidekick.

If I want kolchak, I'll rely on my dvds of the original.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

I'm biased, as I was a big fan of the original series in the 70's (I have the complete series on DVD). I agreed with JoT's assessment of the new series so far, a pale imitation of X-Files. This week, Kolchak faced off against a Manson-style killer in prison who was able to 'possess' the people who imprisoned him and forced them to kill their loved ones. That was very close to an episode of X-Files I recall. The original Night Stalker was always the 'monster-of-the-week', last week on the new show, we basically saw 'dingos ate my baby'. I'm also torn on Kolchak's sidekicks, the gal reporter and guy cub photographer (too much like Lois Lane & Jimmy Olsen for my taste).
I'm actually enjoying 'Supernatural' so far, even though I was expecting it to be basically the new 'Hardy Boys'. I'm indifferent about 'Surface' (Godzilla?) and 'Invasion' (... of the Body Snatchers?), and don't like 'Threshold'. Still watching 'Lost', the king of weekly cliff-hangers.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Catman Jim wrote: 'Invasion' (... of the Body Snatchers?)
Supposedly it's a "tribute", as opposed to an outright ripoff, but yes, the show's makers have agknowledged the connection.

Anyway, I saw the first episode of "Supernatural", and quite liked it, and saw a few of "Threshold", and was more or less okay with it. Sadly, my current living arrangements involve access to a grand total of three english channels, none of which carry the aforemention two programs. "Invasion" just puts me off, though I can't really say why, and I never really got in to "Lost".

I'm a little dissapointed to hear bad things about "Nightstalker", but I knew from the previews they were going to "reimagine" it, so I'm not terribly surprised.
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

For some reason, "Supernatural" leaves me remembering that old, pre-WoD horror RPG "Chill". That game had creatures in it inspired directly by IRL ghost stories and folklore -- no attempts to incorporate them into some larger 'monstrous society' a la White Wolf's games, or to sacrifice true-to-myth spookiness for the sake of game mechanics (as D&D unfortunately does, e.g. with level-draining vampires) -- similar to how "Supernatural" had its Woman In White and its Wendigo.
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

I've found Supernatural to be quite enjoyable. The main characters remind me of the type of characters you want to see in a Ravenloft campaign. They're even a tiny bit like the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins, searching for a relative, relying on his old research to do their job, discovering new creatures and dealing with them on their own. It's well done and I hope that it keeps it up.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Rotipher wrote:For some reason, "Supernatural" leaves me remembering that old, pre-WoD horror RPG "Chill".
Interestingly, an update of "Chill" is supposedly on the way sometime this year. They say they'll keep the old system, but d20 conversion notes will be included.
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

I really like "Supernatural". I like the investigation part of the story lines, some could be adapted to Ravenloft. Yje Bloody Mary episode was really good. Nightstalkers, I have been disappointed in it. It is a poor man's X-files and not like the orignal Kolchak: the nightstalker.
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

I saw the last episode with "Bloody Mary". I liked it alot. I do think that eventually, they will have to introduce some secondary characters. As much as I liked the brothers (and they were hot too :) ) they are only going to be able to carry the series so far with just the two of them. Maybe another group of hunters could offer recurring characters or something.