Seek ideas for the 10th Regalia of the Erlking

Discussing all things Ravenloft
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Seek ideas for the 10th Regalia of the Erlking

Post by The Giamarga »

There are 9 Regalia of the Erlking. One for each breed of fey. But wait Gaz V introduces a 10th breed. So could there be a 10th (lost) regalia?

I've tried to analyze the Regalia and the corresponding theme of the breeds to then create the 10th regalia accordingly.

The Nine Breeds are:

Code: Select all

The Nine Breeds are the
Alven  		CG  druids(CG??)/rangers   tiny		signet ring +2 luck ac, and dice rolls plus some plant spells +4 cha vs plants 
Brag   		LN  monks/experts  diligent/workers		amulet of immunity to lifeforce affecting spells, also summons natures ally
Fir   		NG/E  sorcerers clockworker/gremlins	gloves of dex +4 and craft +10
Muryan 		CN  Ftr/Brb/Rgr	warriors			boots of elvenkind, speed and light step
Portune 		LG  experts/bards/sorcerers		scepter of healing
Powrie(redcaps)	CE  rogues/assassins/shd   pain		+2 assassins dagger of wounding and sneak attack +5d6
Shee 		N   bards   art				crown +4 CHA and charm monster, mind shielding
Sith  		LE  rogues/necromancers death		sword +2 vorpal and lots of spells
Teg 		NE druids(rangers)   feral/wild		cloak of elvenkind, major displacement and shadowwalking
New breed: (not associated to the 2 courts !)
Gwytune LN wizards/loremasters/arcanists theme:knowledge,magic ? ???

--> the 10th regalia must be wizard friendly.

Any ideas anyone?

PS: Also I've been wondering how you'd build Arak the Erlking, the iconic Shadow Fey. Which classes would you give him? And how do you suppose is his deceased wife Finghalla related to the divine unicorn Fionghalla (from 2E's Monster Mythology) ?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

In-character, the unicorn-deity from Monster Mythology and Arak's wife might have similar names because their names mean the same thing, in the Sylvan language (one version of the spelling is masculine, the other feminine). This woundn't have to mean they have anything to do with one another, just that they speak and are named in the same language.

OUT-of-character, I very much doubt that any connection was ever intended: there are only so many Celtic-sounding names to choose from, and game designers can't be expected to keep track of every name that's ever been used in a D&D product. Otherwise, we wouldn't have so many Tristans and Evas running around in our Ravenloft products!
Ryan Naylor
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Ryan Naylor »

Also, there are many Breeds of Arak, but only the Nine Breeds that compose the two Courts are important enough to warrant Regalia of their own.

Plus, the Brag one (the amulet) is more of a general fey thing than a specifically Brag thing, to represent (a) the Brags' lack of interest in politics and (b) all the other lesser Breeds like gwytune and so on.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

*Back from the misty Isle of Skye*

IMC, the last artifact is just the portal itself. :)
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Seek ideas for the 10th Regalia of the Erlking

Post by KingCorn »

I cast Thread Necromancy...aaannddd I failed my powers check :diamabel:
In terms of a 10th regalia, to fit the Gwytune, perhaps the Tome of the Erlking, said to contain the history of the Shadow Fey, including who they were before their enslavement by Gwydion.
Speedwagon
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: Seek ideas for the 10th Regalia of the Erlking

Post by Speedwagon »

KingCorn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:51 pm I cast Thread Necromancy...aaannddd I failed my powers check :diamabel:
In terms of a 10th regalia, to fit the Gwytune, perhaps the Tome of the Erlking, said to contain the history of the Shadow Fey, including who they were before their enslavement by Gwydion.
Given that the average Shadow Fey is probably not going to share that info with PCs (unless under special circumstances), I think that's appropriate. Such a Tome of the Erlking can also give a very good idea of Arak and his wife's character and general hopes for the future of the Shadow Fey. Might be the sort of thing that can unite the people, in a sense.