Some question about charm-person

Discussing all roleplaying games
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Some question about charm-person

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

I was wondering how people play the charm person spells.

First, when casting the spell, the victim will probably notice, since normal spell aren't that stealh.

so if the spell succeed, the victim temporary forgot the casting during the spell?

Did he forgot the casting after the spell?

And if he made his save.

Will he sense an attack on his will and who done it?

And will he have a bonus for his next save since he knew what the other will try?

And for the gaze attack, if you resist to the gaze attack, what will you notice?
Dark Whisper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Re: Some question about charm-person

Post by Dark Whisper »

Scipion_Emilien wrote: First, when casting the spell, the victim will probably notice, since normal spell aren't that stealh.
But unless the target makes a scucessfull Spellcraft Check, he won't know what spell it is. If the caster tricked him into beliving it was a positive spell (or a spell protecting both him and his target from - say - bad weather), he still do it.
so if the spell succeed, the victim temporary forgot the casting during the spell?
No. But as the caster is the victim's trusted friend, ...
Did he forgot the casting after the spell?
No. The victim remembers that he considered the caster a trusted friend - even if he can't exactly remember why. A victim knowing about magic might very well be tipped off by this that it could have been a charm...
And if he made his save.
Will he sense an attack on his will and who done it?
SRD wrote:Succeeding on a Saving Throw

A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack. Likewise, if a creature’s saving throw succeeds against a targeted spell you sense that the spell has failed.
And will he have a bonus for his next save since he knew what the other will try?
No, unless he succeeds at a Spellcraft Check with the appropriate DC (15+spell level, IIRC) or is threatend by the caster's allies.
Of course, you could grant a special bonus to the save if the target was very distrustful.
And for the gaze attack, if you resist to the gaze attack, what will you notice?
I'd rule it the same as for an spell; a feeling (maybe even hinting a bit at the gaze's effect) of a (malign) will assaulting the target's will.
Whisspersss in the Dark...
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

During the last campaign I played, I played a wizard who used Charm Person fairly often. The somatic component was extending my hand, as if in friendship, and the verbal component was "Charmed...to meet you." This played up the subtle nature of the spell, which is pretty much required for it to be useful in...er..."real world" situations.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

LoL. :D Reginald, you may play the game as you want, but I seriously don't think that charm person can be cast so subtly.

Just for this reason, we have a skill IMC, that allows a caster to improvise while casting his/her vocal/somatic components the way Reginald proposed.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Well, the alternative was hopping up and down on one foot while screaming "I'M TRYING TO CHARM YOUR FRIEND!!!" at the top of our lungs.

Both in character and in reality.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Kel-nage
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Kel-nage »

From my point of view, Reginald has got a good point. I mean, if you cast charm on a single person in a group, the rest of the group are going to notice and whilst you'll get one ally, I think the rest will catch on pretty quick and you'll gain more enemies.
Scipion_Emilien
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Scipion_Emilien »

Personnally I think it s a pretty good balancing factor, do not forget that charm-person is a 1st lvl spell.