Quickie Review: The Changeling

Books, movies, television and everything else
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Quickie Review: The Changeling

Post by Steve Miller »

I recently picked up a copy of one of my very favorite horror movies (and possibly the best ghost movie ever made) on DVD, The Changeling. I watched it again last night for the first time in about ten years, and it's every bit as scary as I remember it.

Here's a review, reposted from my own messageboard. I recommend this movie highly for anyone who wants ideas for running great ghost adventures in Ravenloft. This is also a top-drawer choice if you're looking for something to show at a Halloween party.
The Changeling
Starring: George C. Scott and Trish Van Devere
Five of Five Stars

John Russell (Scott) moves from New York to the Pacific Northwest to get a fresh start after his wife and daughter are killed in a car accident. The still-greiving widower rents a ramshackle old mansion where an escalating series of odd occurances lead him into communication with an angry, and increasingly violent, ghost. Will John uncover the secrets that have been locked inside the Chessman House for over seven decades, or will he become the victim of anger, hurt, and betrayal so deep that even death couldn't still it?

The Changeling is one of the top five horror movies ever made, and definately one of the very best haunted house movies ever made. The cast is excellent, the pacing of the film is perfect--with tension building and building with each manifestation of the ghost. Who knew that a little rubber ball could be an object of terror? Well, after watching The Changeling you will!

The movie is particularly remarkable in this day and age, because not a single one of the scares is of the "gotcha" or false variety. When the movie presents something scary and omninous, it truly is. The film also presents its scares without any gore, virtually no violence, and very few special effects--and there isn't a cartoon--sorry, CGI--monster to be seen anywhere. The Changeling delivers tension and terror through masterful camera usage, lighting, set design, and great acting. They, sadly, don't make them like this anymore. (The Changeling was released in 1980.)

The only unfortunate part about The Changeling is that it sort of stalls at the very end. After a tremendous build-up and what is the start of a powerful climax, the film sort of hiccups and seems to run out of gas. But this is only the last few minutes. Everything up to that point is a ghost movie that is made perfectly.

This film is a must-see for everyone who loves ghost stories and horror movies.
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]