Corpse Bride.

Books, movies, television and everything else
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Jasper wrote:Yodiccy? :)
No. That'd make him sound like a bad 50 Cent rip off.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
Jasper wrote:Yodiccy? :)
No. That'd make him sound like a bad 50 Cent rip off.
And the more you think about it, the dirtier it sounds. :roll:
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

C'mon Wiccy, don't pay too much mind to the Baby Bats. Some of them smarten up after a while and become decent sorts. And the rest get bored with the whole thing eventually, and move on to cheapening some other subculture. Either way, all it takes is a little patience.

Anyway, haven't seen the film yet, but thinking about it. After Brother's Grimm, I could do with something a little more shallow in it's spookyness.
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Saw tCB last night; yeah, the ending was no surprise, but it was still a fun film. Though I am tired of cartoon musicals . . . 3/5 corpses.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Burton is not so much about the plot but the visuals, he is the master of style over substance.
The visuals being great. I loved the very old-British look to most of the characters, some looking very much like Monty Python cartoons. And it is a really, really nice change of pace to the ultra-realistic CG heavy cartoons dominating everything else.
It's fun and simple in a classic, timeless and almost fairy-tale kind of way. The Romero-esque rise of the dead was fun and the underword makes death seem welcome and appreciated. The murder may have been easy to guess but really, who didn't take one look at the character and think "oh, that guy is so evil"?
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Anyone else catch Harryhausen's name on the logo of the piano Victor plays at the beginning? Nice nod to the stop-motion master, there. :D

Plus, the way the living characters were moving and behaving during the opening credits was like a more dignified version of the opening sight-gag in "Shaun of the Dead": live folks acting (and dressing, too; cute use of color vs drabness, that!) even deader than the walking corpses we meet later on. :wink:
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: Corpse Bride.

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Brandi wrote:Good: Remarkable visuals and weird gags; really impressive animation (the technology has come quite a ways since Nightmare Before Christmas).
I thought that this was an excellent movie, although my expectations weren't very high besides a fun flick with some good visual effects. I thought the story was pretty good despite being a little thin for the plot.

Plus, the animation was excellently done. A great collection of characters and visuals. I really loved the drabness of the living world and the fun-filled atmosphere of the dead realm.
Brandi wrote:Bad: Thinner plot even than Nightmare Before Christmas, kind of rushed ending.
I wasn't bothered by the thin plot, but the rush ending didn't sit with me real well. Don't get me wrong, I did like the ending. However, it all wrapped up so quickly that I was left wanting more.
Rotipher wrote:Anyone else catch Harryhausen's name on the logo of the piano Victor plays at the beginning?
I noticed that as well, although my wife (who went with me) just looked at me when I mentioned it. Obviously, she wasn't familiar with the significance of Harryhausen... :(
Last edited by Jason of the Fraternity on Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Jack of Tears
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

re

Post by Jack of Tears »

Seen it twice now ... so yes, I did enjoy it a great deal. I'd missed the reference to Harryhousen the first time through, which was a bit of a surprise considering how obvious they made it ... unless you didn't know who the man was, you could hardly help but see it emblazened on the piano. (at least on your second viewing)

I do have to agree with others that it seemed rather cut short. Watching the film I felt as though what I'd seen was an extended preview or an introduction to the world, without ever actually receiving the full version.

None the less, I am once again reminded how much I prefer puppetry to CGI. There is simply something purer in this form of art. I always feel removed from a movie which relies on computer graphics to create its magic. (unless that movie is fully animated, in which case I chalk it up as a cartoon and expect no more ... still, puppetry is superior)

Oddly, despite the fact I'd fully expected to be more taken with Emily, I found myself liking and rooting for Victoria over her rival. Certainly it had nothing to do with her being alive ... perhaps it is the fact I've a thing for Victorian women ... that and I thought she had the more appealing personality.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Definatley a great movie. I don't know how anyone who is a fan of the horrer genre couldn't like it. Granted if you hate musicals and the such, I could see how you got off to a bad start, but musicals are such a staple in tim burton movies(with obvious exceptions like batman and edward scissorhands,etc)
I personally had been waiting for this movie to come out for almost a year, and I definatley wasn't disappointed. Plus getting a promo movie poster at the theater wasn't a bad touch.
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
I took my fiancee to see it last night and I loved every minute of it. I really like the dark and weird tim burton style, the wonderful music and johnny depp as well. The two women were both very attractive, emily still beautiful in her blues and greys, even though her eye kept popping out, victoria with her grey hair in a bun like an old woman. really nice.

Jennifer
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

My and my fella went to see it. He enjoyed it alot and he didn't like the Nightmare Before Christmas. I couldn't help but compare the two. I agree with the rushed ending, but I also thought the beginning was a bit slow, up until he puts the ring on the Corpse Bride's finger.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005