"Five Things Every Barovian Knows: ..."

Discussing all things Ravenloft
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

Five things every Darkonese (Darkonian?) knows:

1. Wise old King Azalin will protect you from the invasions of Falkovnia.

2. When those strangers start hanging around as if they've lived here forever, just smile and nod.

3. If you think somebody is a Kargat agent, they're not. You'd never see a real Kargat agent coming.

4. Where they were and what they were doing the day Il Aluk became Necropolis.

5. That the prejudice some nations have against nonhumans is unfounded and ridiculous.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: "Five Things Every Barovian Knows: ..."

Post by KingCorn »

A few of my own:

Five Things Every Lamordian knows:
  1. The Latest Scientific Development: Besides the many university lectures or the ocassional salon in Dementliue, even the lower classes try to keep abreast of the latest theory or technology.
  2. Whaling Stories and Jokes: Despite having seemingly no tolerance for 'flights of fancy', whalers are seen as the common-class 'hero', and so see stories and exploits, as well as oddly specific whaling jokes, fill the taverns night after night.
  3. What time it is: Lamordians an oddly (almost creepily) accurate ability to tell time, sometimes down to the second. Many joke that most lamordians have clocks where their hearts should be.
  4. How to Snow Shoe: Thanks to their often sudden snowstorms, being able to snowshoe is a necessity in Lamordia, and parents often teach their children how to do so as soon as they learn to walk.
  5. Falkovnian War Rumors: The newest alliance with Falkovnia and its rather vague terms has become the most recent obession of Lamordia, with constant gossip about the latest possible war, or boasts of the newly provided weaponry. Most mainly worry about when they will have to make good on more concrete terms of the agreement.
Five Things Every Kartakan knows:
  1. How to best fell a tree: The large logging industry and the Kartakan's insistenace on self-reliance in such a wooded domain has instilled in them the knowledge to at the very least not fell a tree on their own heads
  2. Some good mushrooms, and some bad ones: Mushrooms are a local delicacy in Kartakass, but poisonous ones are far more common than safe. As such, every Kartakann usually has memorized a few safe mushrooms and a few poisonous ones, usually species growing near their cottages.
  3. Tales of the Grandfathers and Harkon Lucas: Tales of the clever hero Harkon Lucas and his tangles with the mighty Grandfather beasts are a favorite to the people, young and old alike.
  4. How to Tune an Instrument: Said to have a golden ear, even a lone singer can tell when a horn or lyre has been poorly tuned, and will be more than happy to point it out and correct it, usually at an embarrasing time.
  5. At least 3 ballads: Knowing a song of the Grandfathers or Harkon Lucas is never enough here, and any Kartakan will know at least 3 good ballads by heart. They tend to have at least one foreign one, be it a Borcan Opera or a grim diddy from a Falkovnian farmer.
Five Things Every Invidian knows:
  1. Best Site for a Duel: While Invidian tempers make most duels impromptu affairs, some have enough self control to select favored spots, usually associated with the offense or with previous victories, be it a local street or significant tree. Lord Malacchio has begun to encourage these duels to be held in front of Castle Loupet to make it official and find potential enforcers, as well as to revel in the bloodshed.
  2. Deeds of Family Weapon: With the noble families long since gone or humbled, Invidians tell their lineage by their few possessions, chief amoung them the family weapon. Know the previous names of the previous wielders of his bloodlines and their exploits with the weapon is the highest matter of honor. Even a humble knife is treated as a king's treasure.
  3. Signs of the Vistani: The generations of rewarded abuse of the Vistani, beginning with Lord Balkois and only growing with the next two lords, has given the people a good eye for where Vistani may be camping. Knowing their clothes, their songs, their favorite disguises, Invidians are ironically some of the best educated about the Vistani.
  4. Fishing Tips: The rivers are the lifesblood of the Invidian people, and so they have become good at taking its bounty. Invidians love to fish, but more than that they love to tell others how to fish as well as they can. Indeed, one of the few ways an outsider can get an Invidian to talk with them is to fish infront of them, preferably very badly.
  5. Some Falkovnian Slang: Spreading out from the Falkovnian Quarter in Karina, Falkovnian slang terms, most of which usually translate to something very militant or ill-humored, has become something of a fad over the years. Amoung the young its seen as tough and foreign, much like the Falkovnians themselves. Amoung the Gundarike rebels and their sympathizers, it makes its way into coded messages.
Last edited by KingCorn on Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

KingCorn wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:52 pm [*]Whaling Stories and Jokes: Despite having seemingly no tolerance for 'flights of fancy', whalers are seen as the common-class 'hero', and so see stories and exploits, as well as oddly specific whaling jokes, fill the taverns night after night.
I highly approve of this whaling related content and want to know more about Lamordia now.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

Might change some, but:https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/for ... 44#p223744 There is an entry of 5 things known for every domain
Strahdsbuddy
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Strahdsbuddy »

Excellent Thread necromancy!

Five things every Dementlieu Aristocrat knows:

1. The poor are jealous of us and will take any opportunity to seize what we have rightfully inherited.

2. Who is setting the latest fashion trend, and who is not. Wearing last year's fashions is a sure sign of unrefined taste, or the inability to afford to keep up.

3. Port-a-Lucine is a destination city for the entire Core, and they will need to suffer a few wide-eyed tourists wearing last year's clothes during the theatre releases and festivals. It is the price they must pay for having such a finely developed culture, after all.

4. Who is in and who is out. The last social gaffe is quickly brodcast across the network of town gossips and can rarely be escaped. The hot newcomer to the scene is sought after to appear at garden parties and galas to prove how interesting the host is.

5. The mind must rest. A week on the shore or alone in the country is necessary a few times a year to keep the brain sharp and to continue to be able to discern between cutting edge art and derivitive nonsense.

Five things every Dementlieu Commoner knows:

1. The wealthy care nothing for us and would send us all off to a Falkovnian slaughterhouse if it didn't mean they would have to polish their own boots.

2. Fine craftsmanship never goes out of style. Put effort into your work and it can still be valuable as an export when merchants from less mercurial lands visit.

3. Visitors from abroad are typically so awed by the culture they can be convinced anything has value just because it is from Dementlieu. There's nothing wrong with a small suggestion.

4. You can play at being rich. It is too expensive to get away with it for more than a season, but there are enough masquerade balls and fresh trends to ride to make a trip into a garden party the sort of thing everyone should try once, even if it is just for the hours d'vours.

5. How to whistle. Every adult has a little tune they will mindlessly whistle over and over as they go about their work. The tune is typically no more than a dozen notes, and while it feels familiar, no one can ever trace it back to which opera or ballad it comes from. It is as though the song was just placed in their minds.
Get the Core Genesis Project V4 in the Mausoleum.

Check out the Ravenloft Cartographic Society on Facebook
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Strahdsbuddy wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:20 pm 5. How to whistle. Every adult has a little tune they will mindlessly whistle over and over as they go about their work. The tune is typically no more than a dozen notes, and while it feels familiar, no one can ever trace it back to which opera or ballad it comes from. It is as though the song was just placed in their minds.
This is neat, not only as a detail of the lower classes, but also its implied breadth of the controll of Dominic and The Brain
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Pizza wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:59 pm I highly approve of this whaling related content and want to know more about Lamordia now.
The seaman had an eyepatch and a salt-gritted beard and a wooden peg replacing one foot. He also had a book which he thumped down onto the table in front of me. I took a quick glance at the title. It said Moby Dick.

"Lamordian kindergarten reading," he growled.
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Maybe we could finish this, and add the 'Faiths of Eberron' segment on what the faiths think of each other (ie: What the different Ezran sects think of each other, and of Hala/Morning Lord/Lawgiver, The Werewolf God, ect).
I see we already have Barovia, Borca (sorta), Dementliue, Sourange, Lamordia, Invidia, Kartakass, Gundarike (sorta).

edit: Have included link to another thread which already had some faith-opinion ideas: https://www.fraternityofshadows.com/for ... ive#p59317
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

As someone new to this whole thing what is the tie between Lamordia and whaling?
KingCorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by KingCorn »

Pizza wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:26 pm As someone new to this whole thing what is the tie between Lamordia and whaling?
I remember it being mentioned that they have a fishing industry alongside Mordent. Considering their nordic inspirations (Sweden/Norway) and the Moby-Dick theme of deranged obsession (much like Mordenheim himself trying to conquer death), I thought it was fitting.
The goal was to include minor things that fit to the details of the land alongside the major stuff. So while the Five things will include the obvious (Strahd is evil), it will also include the innocuous (How to raise sheep). For instance, for my next one for Falkovnia, I have that Falkovnians know alot about pickling and making vinegars
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Pizza wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:26 pm As someone new to this whole thing what is the tie between Lamordia and whaling?
I'm not sure that there's anything in canon specifically associating Lamordia with whaling. However, Ludendorf sits on the Sea of Sorrows, and the Sea of Sorrows does have whales per Gazetteer II. So I don't think it's a stretch to say there are Lamordian whalers. I can't speak for anyone else, but *I* enjoy the notion of staid Lamordians being fascinated by such a dangerous profession.
Jeremy16
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jeremy16 »

IanFordam wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:22 pm
I'm not sure that there's anything in canon specifically associating Lamordia with whaling. However, Ludendorf sits on the Sea of Sorrows, and the Sea of Sorrows does have whales per Gazetteer II. So I don't think it's a stretch to say there are Lamordian whalers. I can't speak for anyone else, but *I* enjoy the notion of staid Lamordians being fascinated by such a dangerous profession.

I for one like that it makes Lamordia out to be more than just the "mad science "domain. Although, now I have an idea to create a NPC that's a steampunk version of Captain Ahab...
Pizza
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Pizza »

IanFordam wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:22 pm
Awesome! I’m a big fan of whaling so seeing it mentioned was fun.
Mistmaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mistmaster »

I could retcon whaling in my Lamordia.
IanFordam
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by IanFordam »

Jeremy16 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:35 am I for one like that it makes Lamordia out to be more than just the "mad science "domain. Although, now I have an idea to create a NPC that's a steampunk version of Captain Ahab...
Just for the record, I really like that idea!