Stargate / Ravenloft

Discussing all roleplaying games
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Stargate / Ravenloft

Post by Tessa »

Ooooh, I am SO gonna get blasted for this one. :lol:
I actually registered because I was watching Stargate, looking at the sourcebook for Stargate D20 and I had a thought.
Normally, I'd shrug and let it go but this one wouldn't let me go until I dropped it on you guys.
What if a person combined the two games Ravenloft and Stargate?
Ravenloft has the different culture levels and the Stargate travels to planets with humans who have different culture levels.
In Stargate, aliens are the basis for ancient mythology. Gods and such. So what if, instead, aliens were the basis for slightly less ancient folklore like vampires, ghosts, werewolves and such?
Magic could easily be replaced by psionics and ancient technology.
The Ancients could be made evil and become similar to the Dark Powers.
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

Well I'm not going to "Blast You" for this, but I see it like this...
You could combine the two, and spawn tons of related ideas that spin off the subject, and hey, Thats creativity, and that is a wonderfull thing.
But on the other hand, It is taking the concepts that make RL what it is and also the concepts that make stargate what they are,and rewriting them. The reason most people play either setting is for what they are.
I like ice cream, and I like reading on the can, but I'm not going to eat ice cream while on the can. Its two totally different things which shouldnt be enjoyed together.
But back to the first point, if You can make it work, Kudos, and run with it. So long as its fun, than its worth it.
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Well first off, welcome to the boards.

Personally I don't know about this one. I've been thinking of a d20 Future Ravenloft for a while but essentially it boils down to just gothic horror in space for me. Maybe with some Call of Cthulu thrown in for the supernatural.

Were you thinking along the same lines of a future ravenloft or something different?
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Ravenloft strikes me less like Stargate and more like the old tv show Sliders.

In Stargate , the heroes have a steady base, tonnes of backup, and a huge resource of materials and allies. As well, the characters are mentally supported by the presence of Earth. They have the hope of getting back, if only they can find a gate.

Ravenloft really relies on taking those things away from characters. The characters need to be isolated; deprived of the material and emotional support.

Compare traveling through the mists to traveling through the Gate:
Gate travel is certain and stable - you always know where you're going. Whats more, you can choose where you go - so long as you have the address. Mist travel however, is the opposite. You don't know where you're going - you can't even ensure that you even go anywhere.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

Thank you for the feedback. I have to admit to being almost disappointed that you were so polite. I remember the old boards with all of the blasting that went on and a small part of me felt an sort of anticipation at posting an idea that might trigger such blasting. :)
Your feedback has made me think things through more.
I think that if I did use the Stargate in a Ravenloft game, the first thing I'd would be to cut them of from Earth and have them wander the galaxy trying to find their way back.
As the idea developed though, I realized that it wouldn't really be a Stargate/Ravenloft game.
It would be more accurate to describe what I am thinking of as a gothic science fiction setting that uses a device like the Stargate to travel the galaxy instead of ships.
Maybe the aftermath of an ancient lost inter-stellar civilization, possibly Earth.
I think that I would have each Stargate able to link to only a limited number of other locations. Maybe 1d12.
I'll figure it out.
Thanks.
:)
Big Bad Jack
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Big Bad Jack »

SLiders even visited a few genuinely eerie, Domain-like worlds..
[i]Formerly [b]The Watcher in the Woods[/b][/i]

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built."
-- Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

Been offline for awhile. :)
My only issue with a Sliders style game is that I know myself a little too well. If I try to cross Sliders with Ravenloft, I am certain to end up with something very similar to "Waxworks II: Lost in Time" which is one of my favorite cheesy horror flicks. There is just no way I could resist.
While that would be great for cheese and fun, it would be somewhat lacking in horror.