Sharing my campaign idea

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Sharing my campaign idea

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Comments, suggestions, and idea-sharing are welcome! :)

I've wanted to run a Victorian-era horror campaign for some time, and I will finally have the opportunity to do so. (I am drawing to a close my 2- year long Lord of the Rings campaign.) I wanted to run a game using Masque of the Red Death, but at this point I am unable to afford it. Instead of MotRD, I will be using D20 Modern/Past and cherrypicking the best elements of Call of Cthulhu d20 and OGL Horror by Mongoose Publishing.

The best way to describe my campaign idea is to imagine X-Files set in the 1890’s instead of the modern day. I will have Victorian snobbery, hideous supernatural creatures, whacky Jules Verne/H. G. Welles style inventions wreaking havoc on an unsuspecting world, and all sorts of other fun.

The only thing I haven’t really decided yet is where to have the campaign set. I was angling in on using Philadelphia, because it’s a good hub – within a short ride by rail you have Boston, New York, Washington, etc. But while exploring a map site on line I found a map of my own home town of Staunton, VA, from 1891. Now I am in a quandary … I think it would be fun for my players to go monster-hunting 115 years ago on our own turf.

The location has yet to be decided, but here are the main points of the “campaign setting”:

Players’ Information:

Bringing the characters together: Each of the characters has had an encounter with something supernatural that has had a profound affect on them. Each will be contacted by the owner and proprietor of The Elysian House, a boarding house that is an old English manor house that the owner had dismantled and shipped to the US. For nostalgia’s sake, the floor plan of the Elysian House will be none other than that of the haunted house from the old D&D module The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh.

The core NPCs: The owner of the Elysian House, one Mister Sergeus Smith, is fascinated by the world of the arcane and supernatural, and has *somehow* heard of the characters’ experiences. He invites them all to a mummy-unraveling party and, during the festivities, will ask them to enter his employ as investigators of the bizarre. Mister Sergeus Smith will provide them room and board (rather, his wife Minerva will, as she is the one who runs the boarding house) and a suitable stipend, and they will look into tales of mystery and imagination to see what truth can be found of phenomena both mundane and arcane.

Dramatis Personae:I have already received character ideas from eager players. For your amusement they were:

A scientist and inventor who once saw a man transform into a wolf. (Can’t wait to show this player the Pulp Scientist advanced class!)

A crewman from a whaling ship who saw an adult sperm whate *eaten* by something that dwarfed the ship he was on. He swore off whaling and the sea and moved inland. He is currently addicted to opium – it helps him forget that … monstrous thing … he saw out on the rolling sea.

A former government man of some kind. He was talking about modeling the character after James West from the Wild Wild West tv show. (Actually … probably from the movie, since he is so young I doubt very seriously that he knew there was a tv show … )

GM’s Information:

The truth about the core NPCs: “Mister Sergeus Smith” is an anagram of Hermes Trismegistus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trismegistus). In this incarnation he is “just” a human … but he is also somehow more than human, and has a greater motive for sending these hapless folks into their outré adventures. He wants to awaken the world to the existence of the supernatural, since he fears that the increasing dependence on science and technology is a detriment to the old beliefs. In the closing days of the 19th century, staring the 20th century in the face, he feels that the world needs its magic, good or bad, and he wants people to know that it’s really out there … sometimes WAYYYY out there …

I might eventually have them find out who “Mister Sergeus Smith” really is. As for my players understanding the significance of the name Hermes Trismegistus, they might notice that every member of his family is named after a Greek god, but other than that, the deeper meanings will be lost to them

The staff of the Elysian house itself will be good background characters as well. There is something … unusual .. about each one of them. So far I have thought up:

1. Minerva, the portly wife of Trismegistus who runs the place.
2. Their daughter Eris, who is shockingly and improperly flirtatious (for the Victorian era, that is)
3. And Mister Sergeus Smith’s personal manservant the eerie and cadaverous Mr. Charles Ronald Ferriman. (Note that the first three letters of his first and second name spell CHARON).

Magic: For magic, I will not be using the magic advanced classes in D20 Modern. I will instead be using the spell system from Call of Cthulhu d20 – converting SAN Loss for spell casting to my homebrewed Fear save system and OGL Horror Shock points. I will also be using the ritual magic rules from OGL Horror.

Wonky Victorian Science Fantsy: D20 Past has an interesting Advanced Class called the Pulp Scientist. They get a certain number of “discoveries” per level, which is similar to the spell slot system. Rather than spells, of course, the Pulp Scientist picks a spell and is able to design a device that duplicates that spells effect. I.e. If you pick the daze spell, that could be a gun that fires a beanbag round, or even a very primitive form of taser. A device that duplicates burning hands? Congratulations, your inventor just created the world’s first flame thrower … I like that class and even though it is “meant” for the pulp era of the 30s and 40s will allow my Victorian-era characters access to it. It seems like a rules-light, “quick and dirty” way to bring in those wild inventions everyone wants in Victorian science fantasy.

What is “Shadow”?: In the D20 Modern “Shadow Chasers” campaign model there is a mysterious demiplane called only “Shadow,” which for whatever reason is sending monsters into the world. The characters, i.e. the Shadow Chasers, are the only ones who can see them clearly. Almost everyone else in the world is oblivious. For the purposes of my campaign, the Realm of Shadow is actually the goddess Gaia, mother of the Titans who birthed horrid monsters into the world at the dawn of time. Not really a goddess, per se, but the Greeks thought of “her” as such, and certainly not the benevolent mother earth we think of today. (That role was filled by Demeter for the ancient Greeks anyway, rather that Gaia, which we think of today as “Mother Earth”.)

Shadow is a ghastly demiplane that spontaneously generates and consumes creatures of nightmare and fantasy.
“She” is part Gaia, part Shub-Niggurath, and part nightmare (for you Masque of the Red Death fans, she could just as easily be the Red Death.) “She” has always been around, sending monsters into the Material Plane, but throughout time there have always been people who knew of her and stood against her spawn. These are the Shadow Chasers.

Of course, it’s likely that none of the PCs will ever get to know any of what I revealed in the GM’s Information – that is just for my own edification to explain how and why all the monsters are spilling into the world. This is all stuff that exists only behind the GM’s screen. I’m not sure the players would ever figure out the whole story without me leading them around by the nose. Mister Sergeus Smith and his relatives, staff, and other guests that come and go at the Elysian Boarding House will be sort of like good-guy versions of the “Smoking Man” in the X-Files. There is a greater plot going on, but the main characters will likely never know what it is.
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

[i]--Edgar Allan Poe[/i], Ligeia
The Lesser Evil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Lesser Evil »

It sounds like a very interesting campaign idea. Regarding whether to use both Philedelphia and Staughton in different parts in the campaign? Perhaps the House is one of those weird, haunted Victorian houses, like the Winchester House. Perhaps it can move on its own, and perhaps even has its own alien, unknowable intelligence. Its wanderings are unpredictable and perhaps incomprehensible by humans. But wherever it goes, it could serve as plot hooks. As for getting the group together, perhaps they have all been invited to join some sort of cabal or secret society that is bent on discovering and investigating the supernatural, a sort of early version of Department 7.

I like the Gaia shadow idea the best. Perhaps, as an ancient creature of chaos, Shadow could abduct people and things besides monsters and place them in different spaces and time. You could draw inspiration from the Urban Arcana d20 modern book or some of the various sci-fi/alternate history novels by Harry Turtledove. I always thought that it would make an interesting cultural study to see how alien cultures would react when brought to the modern day.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

That’s a very cool background and setting, you have there, Ligeia. The PC idea so far look like fun. But I'd like to hear more on your plans: what is the action you plan to throw at your PC? What kind of quest / adventure?

Shadow is quite cool. You could have endless hours making quest / investigation to stop cultists of Shadow.

Indeed, Lesser Evil, a haunted house is always fun. You might get the inspiration from the RL House of Lament?

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Lady Ligeia
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Lady Ligeia »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:That’s a very cool background and setting, you have there, Ligeia.
Thank you. :)
The PC idea so far look like fun.
I thought so, too. I can't wait to hear what the others come up with.
But I'd like to hear more on your plans: what is the action you plan to throw at your PC? What kind of quest / adventure?
At first, it will be sort of an episodic, "monster of the week" kind of thing in the vein of Kolchak: The Nightstalker or X-Files or Scooby Doo. In short:

1. Something wierd happens.
2. Mr. Smith hears of it ... *somehow*
3. He informs the PCs what he knows and dispatches them to investigate.
4. They go check it out, and hopefully do enough research to figure out what is going on.
5. Then they take appropriate action: record the phenomena, fight the monster, make peace with the supernatural but friendly visitor, or recover the evil artefact, whatever.

I plan to use the idea seeds I posted elsewhere in this forum at first (http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/foru ... php?t=2380). If the game catches on, I plan to introduce recurring NPCs, regular vistors to the boarding house -- some benevolent, some malignant -- and flesh out more of the background of the "Smith" family and their servants.
Shadow is quite cool. You could have endless hours making quest / investigation to stop cultists of Shadow.
Yup! And I also have some obscure, older Call of Cthulhu adventures that I could run as well, so I have that. It's not too difficult to move a 20's adventure back in time 30 years or so. :)
Indeed, Lesser Evil, a haunted house is always fun. You might get the inspiration from the RL House of Lament?
I thought for a while about using the House on Gryphon Hill as the floorplan for the Elysian House, but I don't like the isometric map style that the module uses. The old top-down map style makes it easier to put onto a grid if I want to have .. I dunno ... zombie surround and attack the boarding house some day ... . :twisted:

The inspiration for Elysian Boarding house itself is a webcomic called The Grand Blue Door. That comic is set just after the turn of the century at a resort in Cape May, NJ called the Grand Blue Door hotel. There are strange visitors and staff at the GBD, such as The Archduke (a vampire), rat-like people as maids and cooks, a mysterious black cat, and a pair of anthropomorphic elephants from India. The comic has a sort of "Harry Potter" feel to it, given that the setting is a strange and fantastic place and there is a great mystery to be solved that (apparently) only the children can solve.

The biggest problem the webcomic has is that is not updated nearly often enough ... it seems to have on set schedule for updates, and you can have three updates one week then nothing for a month or two. :evil:

Ah well ... here is a link to the comic if anyone wants to check it out:

http://www.grandbluedoor.com/archive.ph ... 030501.jpg
"Here then, at least," I shrieked aloud, "can I never --can I never be mistaken --these are the full, and the black, and the wild eyes --of my lost love --of the lady --of the LADY LIGEIA."

[i]--Edgar Allan Poe[/i], Ligeia