D&D Movie II

Discussing all roleplaying games
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

When does this film come out?
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

VAN wrote:When does this film come out?
The original post on the thread says it airs on Sci-Fi on October 8th.
Swallow your soul!
Episkopos
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Episkopos »

alhoon wrote:It doesn't sound bad. A decent teenager fantasy movie. However, I haven't seen the 1st movie, but most people seemed disappointed by it.
Dissapointed is such an understatement. The movie simply put, sucked big time. It was for the max age of 12, and even kids would reach the point of saying "is it over yet?"
I mean lousy actors(the little princess is a monster of acting, in the bad way), the Wayne dude was totally ridiculous not only being the funny character of the movie, but the clown of the movie, while Jeremy Iron's scary laughter... I just so wish I was in the movie with a big hammer when I heard that laughter.
So if D&D 2 resembles is ANY way the first one, don't even bother discussing about it.
Oh yeah, the dwarf was the tallest of all in the movie...
At first I thought nightmares were a symptom of their madness.
It turns out, they were the cause...
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Episkopos wrote:Oh yeah, the dwarf was the tallest of all in the movie...
Agreed, he was about the height of an elf :P
Swallow your soul!
BigBadQDaddy
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by BigBadQDaddy »

hey look at the bright side...
They may decide to res Marlon Wayans just so they can kill him again.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Apparently D&D 2 is meant to be quite good.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Ah, that's good. Because we know that they intended D&D I to be crap. :)
Evil Reigns!!!!
Scede
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Scede »

The dwarf is the only reason to watch that movie - he is firkin hilarious
Wow check out my cool sig, its L33t Sauce.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

D&D II: Wrath of the Dragon God is on tonight.

http://www.scifi.com/dnd/

Too bad I'm going to miss it (not really), I promised my daughter I would take her to a live stage showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show tonight instead (also known as: How to make me feel really old & take me back 30 years). I suppose I'll tape it and watch it later (maybe). Those who may see it, please let me know if it will be worth my time.
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

I have to work late tonight, so I'll miss it, which is too bad cause I was kinda looking forward too it. I didn't think that the first one was horrible, but it certainly wasn't GOOD. Everything was too cliched, it seemed to follow the actual rules of D&D too loosely, and a couple of good scenes were cut/changed from the final version. When I saw it in a theater, the crowd gave Damodar a standing ovation when he killed Snails. Well, not really, no, but they did clap and cheer.

Is anyone here actually going to watch it tonight so they can give the rest of us a Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Tessa
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Tessa »

Well, I watched it. It was a slow night and I stumbled across it by accident.
Uh, well... it sucked.
On the plus side, it was vastly better than the first one (not that that's saying much).
The setting and magic and such is based more around actual d20 rules and there are no three eyed purple guys (?)
That is just about all that can be said for this one.
The only connection to the first movie is that the bald fighter villain is back but at least he left the blue lipstick behind.
Being generous, I'd call it a two out of five, maybe.
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by MatthiasStormcrow »

I missed it too, but caught a SciFi channel ad tonight - looks like they're replaying it on Thursday night. So maybe I'll be able to catch it then. Still not sure I want too.....man, it's sort of like a car wreck. I don't *want* to look....but I *have* to look....

I wonder if that's what being dominated feels like?
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

-Benjamin Dean, Doomtown Ep. 8
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Glad to hear they are replaying it, I had only set the VCR for two hours and it turned out to be 2.5, so I missed the end. I didn't think it sucked, really. It seemed to have about the same quality as a Hercules or Xena. I did actually enjoy playing 'Name That Spell' as I watched it. There were loads in game specific details only gamers would catch, (items, party formation, monsters, class specialties, etc.) and I enjoyed the 'name-dropping' (lots of referals to Greyhawk locations and old modules like The Ghost Tower of Inverness).
More D&D commercials than I had ever seen, at least 4 different ones. (White print comments on a black screen, like 'The Book is better than the Movie').
I'll give it another watch Thursday.
I only wish I had retired sooner!
eocine
Conspirator
Conspirator
Location: somewhere where he ponders whether or not people know what 'crapulence' means.

Post by eocine »

MatthiasStormcrow wrote:
I wonder if that's what being dominated feels like?
No no, being dominated feels different... And you're left with the whip marks and chain-chafe...

Oh, my misunderstanding!

I'll track it down when it makes it to the UK just to laugh if need be, it CAN'T be as bad as the first one so...
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Not bad, actually. Cheesy, cheap, and the acting was lousy (but nothing so bad as in D&D1, thank God), but for a TV movie -- especially one the (gag!) SciFi Channel had a hand in -- it was okay. They set it a hundred years after the first film, so apart from the villain we didn't have to endure any of the old characters, and it was chock full of in-joke game references and "Spot The Spell/Monster/Ability" moments. The traps and puzzles were cool too, IMO.

Plus, where else are we gonna see an attack by a bunch of darkmantles in CGI...? For its budget and as a no-charge-to-see-it TV movie, it was definitely worth watching.

And since when are actual D&D campaigns *not* corny, anyway? Think of the cheesiness as an accurate depiction of a typical game session's dialogue, and it's plausible. Let's face it: as role-players, we gamers ain't exactly Oscar-caliber performers, ourselves. ;-)