Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Desdichado wrote:...

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=488063

- Both FR and Greyhawk will be dropped.

R
One word: Bollocks.

WotC will never drop FR, it's the biggest moneyspinner for D&D they've got. Greyhawk will be the standard setting for years to come.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
Desdichado wrote:...

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=488063

- Both FR and Greyhawk will be dropped.

R
One word: Bollocks.

WotC will never drop FR, it's the biggest moneyspinner for D&D they've got. Greyhawk will be the standard setting for years to come.
Yeah, you may be right. OTOH, The future potential of FR is highly debatable, I think... However, I wouldn't mind to see it prosper. After all, it is the only *original* D&D setting to be supported any longer...

Yet, another rumour is that Eberron is supposed to be 4e's default setting, that does mean no good for Toril...

However, these are just glimpses of what I read over the www, not want I would desire for future D&D...

Yours,

R
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Desdichado wrote:Yeah, you may be right. OTOH, The future potential of FR is highly debatable, I think... However, I wouldn't mind to see it prosper. After all, it is the only *original* D&D setting to be supported any longer...
The Realms will live, mainly because the creator still has stacks of unpublished stuff he wrote ages ago, at least according to the Wizards' propoganda book "30 Years of Adventure." :)
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Forgotten Realms will leave for the reason Drinnik says before, because it's the biggest moneyspinner for D&D they've got.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

VAN wrote:Forgotten Realms will leave for the reason Drinnik says before, because it's the biggest moneyspinner for D&D they've got.
Yeah, like I said it's all speculation on this thread.

Except ScS and the lacy underwear. Trust me. :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Subject line

Post by alhoon »

Also on hindsight, until there is a 4th edition, the Ravenloft we got will be up to date with the rules. After the 4th edition comes out, then every one wanting to play Ravenloft with the new rules will have to make a homebrew. So in essence until 4th edition we don't need anything more to play Ravenloft.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Eh, makes sense but that doesn't mean it'll be anytime soon. Realms has been around for long enough and has plenty of products behind it. No suprise that TPTB would want to move on to the next big thing and start from scratch thus releasing even more products.
I imagine they could still release Realms books, but it and Greyhawk wouldn't be the default settings. Their gods and PrC wouldn't be in the Core books.
There are ALOT of people who hate the Realms and might pass that dislike to D&D in general with the current bond. Removing the Realms and pushing it to the side might attract back some of those old fans. If it's replaced by Eberron that'll be unlikely, but they might improve that setting over a few years when they let it grow organicly instead of the forced depth it has now.

I still doubt 4th Edition is inevitable or coming right around the corner. WotC lost too many customers and sales after 3.5 so they'll want to wait until the stink and memories from that die down or more people will cry "foul" and "money grubbing!" Heck, 3E came out in 2000 and 3.5 in 2003 so three years was obviously too little. Why would they release another setting in three years? Insanity!
I agree with Trebor that we should have until at least 2011 unless they decide to go with 11 years since '03 which makes it 2014.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

2014? Then wizards will go down to moderate sale rates before too long. Perhaps if you are right, this is a better option than coming with a 4th edition so soon.
They are overtaxing themselves with pushing a book/month. Hopefully we will see less and more original books.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Jester of the FoS

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Well, there still are ALOT of books to do. When those are done there are more optional books. They still have alot of monster types (like the dragon, undead and aberration ones), genre books (like the heroes of battle and heroes of horror books) and environment books (like Stormwrack and Frostburn). Now that they've done all the races and classes they can focus on other topics. A revised Arms and Equipment guide or updated Savage Species. More books on magic and new rules and advanced play.

More likely than not in about 3-4 years they'll do a big reprinting with new and updated rules, art, etc using the errata and good ideas and clarifications from all the prior rule books. Add immediate actions and quick actions and the rest into the Core book.
That can be followed up by "Best of..." series of books. Best of Prestige Classes, Best of Races, Best of Magic, etc. Or compendiums like the ones for spells and items at the end of 2E.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Except ScS and the lacy underwear. Trust me. :)
You really don;t need to remind us of that *shudder*
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Compediums? ? ?

Oh, YES! ! ! I loved the spell compediums, although it was quite a tast to read through all of the 4 books of spells. More than 2000 spells in there.
My DMGuild work!
artent
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by artent »

I doubt Ebberon will ever be made the default setting for the phb rules. It's too different from generic fantasy for them to oush it in the PHB. I can see things like Ebberon PRC type stuff showing up in a DMG wuth notes that it's from Ebberon..a subtle push to get you too buy the hypothetical setting books of this hypothetical 4th edition.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

If Games Workshop can learn form their mistakes and slow down the release of new editions of games, I am sure WotC can also. However, WotC have always been keen to get new editions of their games out as quickly as possible. Plans for M:tG 8th edition were in the works before 7th Ed came out and they began plans for 9th Ed within months of 8th Ed being printed...

I hope they wait longer myself, a new edition every few years gets expensive.
Swallow your soul!
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
Okay, you just left "Too Much Information Land" and entered the realm of "Why the #3!! do we have free speech, again?!"
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Reginald de Curry wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
Okay, you just left "Too Much Information Land" and entered the realm of "Why the #3!! do we have free speech, again?!"
Because baiting the Fraternity should be an Olympic Sport... :)

I actually saw this book today in ACE comics in Colchester. I had to stifle a laugh.