A concept it might be interesting to explore

Discussing all things Ravenloft
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: A concept it might be interesting to explore

Post by jules »

Any thoughts on how to handle the psychic/mind controlling dark lord in the style on this thread?
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Dominic d'Honaire?
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

Manofevil wrote:Dominic d'Honaire?
Thanks, I can’t spell so good.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I just compiled all of this for the current QTR. I led with this:

Dovehome, the anti-Ravenloft. Realm of Righteousness.

Some sages who have studied the multiverse believe that it arcs toward balance. For every great good, they believe, there exists a great evil, and for every negative a positive. There is a story quietly making the rounds of the domains of dread about a realm on the far side of a mirror where instead of lands full of good people ruled by monsters, fiends, undead, the mad, or just the wicked, there were instead lands full of monsters, fiends, undead, the mad, or just the wicked, ruled by good people. The idea almost staggers the people of Ravenloft.

The Protectors of Dovehome
Like the Darklords of Ravenloft, the Protectors of Dovehome are bound to a particular domain. Unlike the Darklords, they may cross the borders at will when on a mission. It is the other denizens, most of whom are monsters, fiends, undead, the mad, or just the wicked, of Dovehome that are trapped within their borders. By powers checks, they may earn the ability to cross borders and many have succeeded in doing so. This allows an economy to be built and further nurture the populace toward good, at least in theory. As Ravenloft is a prison of horror both for mostly good regular populace as well as their Darklord tormenters, Dovehome is a prison of obligation for the mostly wicked regular populace as well as their Protector teachers. To exit either realm, an adventurer must cross the borders and brave the other realms hoping to find a way out. As the Darklords have a particular torment, usually of their own making, which haunts their existence, The Protectors are constantly confronted with frustration of their righteous efforts and can be just as unhappy and trapped as their counterparts. Also like Ravenloft, adventurers of any sort may be drawn into it.

The Path of the Protector (by James Firecat)
The Path of the Protector is for a paladin or similar figure who devotes themselves to always being at the service of those in need.
Step 1: Only needs to eat or drink half as much as normal person would, a noticeable mark of whatever cause they have devoted themselves to (a god, a town, a family, an order) will appear somewhere on their body in a relatively noticeable place. They will also gain the ability to cross domain borders.
Step 2: Spell resistance equal to your HD +10 against evil spell casters, -2 CON, your body strangely feels as if it is weaker, but the strength of your convictions help make up the difference.
Step 3: Immunity to poison and disease, -2 Cha + 1 OR due to the fact that you seem to be driven more by your purpose than traditional human desires, you may forget to breath for strangely long periods of time but it doesn't bother you.
Step 4: No longer needing to sleep allowing them to be ever ready to help others at any time of day or night, and 60 foot darkvision, every time you try to eat or drink (though you suffer no penalties from starvation or thirst when you refrain from doing either) you end up being violently ill afterwards a fact that is going to attract no smaller amount of attention.
Step 5: Subject is now a Deathless Pristine Mummy or apply templates as necessary.

Opinions welcome.
Last edited by Manofevil on Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Rock of the Fraternity
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rock of the Fraternity »

Well. :o
I am definitely looking forward to readibg more about this!
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

What would the god-brain light lord be like?
Mephisto of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mephisto of the FoS »

jules wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:55 pm What would the god-brain light lord be like?
He would be extremely stupid I guess... :mrgreen:
"I am not omniscient, but I know a lot."
-Mephistopheles from Faust by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
jules
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by jules »

Any homebrew anti-ravenloft light lords out there?