A concept it might be interesting to explore

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

I'm afraid some of you have gotten the wrong idea of where I was going with this. Just because the most powerful individuals in the Anti-Ravenloft domains are good doesn't mean that evil does not exist or that they are not besieged by it. The idea I wanted for this Anti-Ravenloft was a mirror image place where everything that is good in RavenLoft is Evil and everything evil in RavenLoft Good. There is Good in RavenLoft but it is constantly besieged by all that is evil, so in Anti-RavenLoft, evil would be besieged by good. To fall back to the comic book, The people of Anti-Earth would constantly say things like 'God below' and 'Satan knows where.." and everyone's heart was on the right side of their bodies. So you see it wasn't just the Justice League that was reversed, it was everything and everyone. I originally started this thread asking for just the Anti-DarkLords because it struck me as a good short-term goal. It really wasn't my intention to create an adventure with this thread. The idea was to concieve what a complete reverse of RavenLoft (or at least its DarkLords) would look like. So it's not enough to change just this detail or that choice, everything must be reversed to apply in this case.
Also, in the comic book example, When the Justice League trapped the Crime Syndicate on the Moon, They then attempted to tear down the entire empire of crime and misery the Syndicate had created. They did a pretty good job of it but when they had to return to earth to stop the syndicates rampage there, New criminal empires raced in to fill the vacuum. Some damage was done that wasn't immediately repairable, but , for the most part, all they did was cause a change of players, not the game. . The point is, on Anti-Earth, The Good Guys Lost FAR more often than they won- just like in RavenLoft. That's why I thought an Anti-RavenLoft might be interesting to discuss here. Was I wrong?
Last edited by Manofevil on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Do us a favor Luv, Stick yer 'ead in a bucket a kick it!

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

So instead of a world of ignorant but good people ruled by monsters it is a world of cruel and malicious individuals lorded over by noble souls.
Interesting, especially if the forces of darkness struggle always to overthrow the powerful lords of light.
Not quite as conductive to adventures as having the heroes fight against impossible odds.

Would there be mysterious 'light powers' that torment and curse those who do good deeds? That would certianly make heroes think twice. That might drive them away from heroism more than threats of death and monsters.

I can imagine a similar feeling of impotence of being a hero in such a land. The odds are worse as you must fight whole villages while also being shackled by curses. The lords rule supreme but are heavily opposed with many factions both overt and covert standing against them.
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

David of the Frat wrote:Would there be mysterious 'light powers' that torment and curse those who do good deeds? That would certianly make heroes think twice. That might drive them away from heroism more than threats of death and monsters.
That's only a partial reversal, IMO. To be a proper reversal of the Dark Powers, the Light Powers would have to grant boons as well as curses (just like a dark powers check) but only to people who follow the "temptation" to be good.

Perhaps PC's are slowly turned into angelic beings/lightlords, and each step carries with it a change of otherworldly beauty, causing the cruel and evil populace to reject them and cast them out.

Eventually the character is given a province to shepherd, and is tied to it so powerfully that they can't leave. Lightlords are so well known/easy to recognize that it is easy for the evil populace to simply stay away from them. "Don't go looking for good, and it won't go looking for you!" :?:
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

DeepShadow wrote: Eventually the character is given a province to shepherd, and is tied to it so powerfully that they can't leave.
That's not a complete reversal either. The lightlord should be unable to enter his province. :wink: But that's stupid.

I would prefer that the Lightlord should be able to come and go as he/she pleases but his special gift from the Lightpowers would work only in the Lightlord's province.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

NOOOOOWWW You guys have got it. Also, in reversal, these characters would lose none of their complexities. For Example:

Anti-Tristessa would NOT like children. She would have disliked them since the day she first got pregnant and felt the baby growing within her like some form of parasite. Her baby would have been perfect, but she never would have liked it because of the imposition it was on her life. She would have cared for it because she was expected to by everyone including herself, but she still would resent the responsibility. (Note: I can't really think right now of how her society would have been reversed. I'm concentrating on her for now.) Anyway, after the death of her child, she is constantly finding lost children, particularly babies, and feeling obliged to care for them until she can find a way to return them to their parents or something else happens to them. (Whoa. I think I've gotten someplace with this :!: ) She still feels the same resentment, however, Not for the children directly but for the world which has imposed upon them upon her. (at least at first) She hates changing diapers. She hates wiping noses. And she REALLY hates cleaning laundry, but there's noone else.
So in this case, rather than a blessing upon the 'lightlord' we have instead a counter-curse: Where Tristessa kills children with her affection for them, Anti-Tristessa kills them with her resentment of them. Who sez all the Anti-DarkLords have to be good guys. For that matter who sez all the DarkLords are bad guys :shock:
Last edited by Manofevil on Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

So, gentlemen, that's how it is. Until Grissome.... resurfaces, I'm the acting president, and I say starting with this... anniversary festival, we run this city into the ground! :D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

So the anti-darklords are still tragic figures. Anti-Tristessa isn't bad at all. She hates laundry etc but still does it because someone has to do it. Nobody forces her to do it, but her good, soft heart. She is trapped by herself.
She doesn't like babies but isn't such a bad person as to let them suffer. She does everything in her considerable power to provide for them so that they grow up healthy bodily, mentaly and psychologically.

The Province of the Anti-keening (full of baby cries) is a place that widows and desperate mothers know their abandoned children will grow up better than in any other orphanage. Adventurers know that they should visit and give a hand (or some money) for the orphans since they really go for their care, not squandered. So in just a few years Anti-Tristessa found herself immersed up to the neck in babies and children.
She does get help from a few maids but she is very strict with the personel. While she doesn't like the job she is very responsible about it and wouldn't allow people to make the life of the children miserable. She constantly says to herself she will abadon everything and leave, that she will not accept another puffy, crying annoyance, she will not spend even another copper from her once-large fortune to provide for children but still when she angrily shouts to anyone approaching with a baby, one look at the child's eyes and dirty diapers and the protests go down the drain.
Deep inside her, Anti-Tristessa enjoys her hard work, even if she doesn't recognise it. She hates all this work but even if she doesn't realize it the "Annoying buzz" of children laughing and playing is rewarding of all these torments.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

the Three Grannies
More like three fairy godmothers. The anti-hags of anti-Tepest. As three fairy children who were raised by a loving farm family, these three women have developed a deep and abiding sense of kinship with mortals and almost their every action is in relation to this. Their province of (anti-)Tepest constantly attracts people who with terrible problems of one sort or another which the three sisters feel the need to help them with. Each in their own way. The eldest and wisest, (anti-)Letitia, is, at heart, a teacher. Whenever she intervenes, she feels the need to teach those she intervenes on behalf of something. This is especially true of the many lost children they come across. As (anti-)Tepest and (anti-)Keening are neighboring provinces, (anti-)Tristessa commonly sends her children to the Grannies for schooling. Especially the trouble cases. Her younger sister, (anti-)Laveeda, is the tallest and most formidable of the sisters and not above bashing a few heads to knock some sense into the stubborn. Which isn't to say that she's heavy-handed or crabby, she's just not above tough love. The youngest, (anti-)Lorinda, is an earth mother and druidess/ranger type. There is nothing she doesn't know about nature. She's constantly helping people with her abilities as a healer and herbalist. She also knows the (anti-)Tepestani woods like the back of her hand so she's also a capable guide. OY, I'm tired. Maybe I'll add some more later.
Last edited by Manofevil on Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

You realize you just turned the Sisters Mindefisk into the Wyrd Sisters, don't you? :lol:
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

It also crossed my mind that a quick and dirty way to create the anti-Van Richten and the anti-S is simply to swap their personalities...
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Manofevil: Quite nice but there is too little info on Anti-Tepest! Could you put some light in the clerics that preach that all creatures (fey, demihumans, humans) are equal under the eyes of the gods?
My DMGuild work!
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

alhoon wrote:Manofevil: Quite nice but there is too little info on Anti-Tepest! Could you put some light in the clerics that preach that all creatures (fey, demihumans, humans) are equal under the eyes of the gods?
I think it'd fit if it was that they preached that the Fey where superior to humans and that we should all strive to be like them.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Hmmm, better. :lol:
My DMGuild work!
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

I ran this adventure already actually, just the other day.

Welcome to Dovehome....

Dovehome is reached through a Magical Mirror that's located in some area of the domain the PCs are in. The Magical Mirror immediately results in the PCs entering some twisted reflection of the land. Whereas things are creepy and wicked, so are they clean and beautiful in the other land.

Dovehome is a land where the people are gregarious, outgoing, unsuperstious, and oh yes....they are almost all completely evil. Rape, murder, and torture mix with gluttony and sex so that pleasure is all a mixture of the decadent life here that knows no fear...or limits.

Dovehome has it's own flaws though. The Holy Paladin King Vocard Dalv runs a countryside where the Knighthood struggles desperately to keep the populous in check while Nilaza the Priest and the Alchemist have their own deeds. In order for civilization to function, the Lords of Light struggle to keep their nightmarish populous at bay.

However, Nilaza and the Alchemist hope that they can perhaps flee their sacred duty and come to a land where evil is not so prevalent....a land where the peasanty care for one another and act as men not animals.

They just need to switch themselves with an equally powerful persona....

The game was effective because we emphasized that humans were the evil rather than what they were (Nilaza was an Arch Lich and the Alchemist used potions to feed his blood thirst)
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

In anti-Hazlan, anti-Hazlik tries in vain to send a message to his wizard friends back in anti-Thay, who helped him come to terms with his sexuality, and offered him friendship and acceptance. Unfortunately, he can never quite get the message to them...

Anti-Hazlik used to be a big supporter of magic, teaching everybody to learn the wonderful ways of wizardry. However, recently he has turned the other way, now trying kindly but firmly to suppress the development of magical talents in the conniving and evil, but very unified populace.
Manofevil
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Manofevil »

Heyyy! I like what you guys are doing here. :D
alhoon wrote:Manofevil: Quite nice but there is too little info on Anti-Tepest! Could you put some light in the clerics that preach that all creatures (fey, demihumans, humans) are equal under the eyes of the gods?
As far as this is concerned, I limited myself to the DarkLords because it seemed like a good short term goal. If you want to do the lands and peoples', don't stop on my account. :)
Drinnik Shoehorn wrote: I think it'd fit if it was that they preached that the Fey where superior to humans and that we should all strive to be like them.
I saw this made to work, once, in the ElfQuest comics. There was a group of humans that worshiped the EQ elves and aspired to become them. So much so, that they would mutilate their hands (EQ elves have four fingers) and ears (pointed) in hopes of gaining the long life spans and (they think) divine status of the EQ elves