Gloom

Discussing all roleplaying games
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Gloom

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hello,

This cardgame seems catched my interest... Very fitting for us mistdwellers it seems... :misori:

Yours,

Rafael
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

The cynic in me says they were just waiting for Edward Gorey to die so they wouldn't have to worry about any potential lawsuit.

That aside, it looks like an interesting concept and that's a novel use of the transparent cards (the only other game I've seen that used transparent cards and wasn't a standard playing-card deck only seemed to use the transparency for its looks).
Le Noir Faineant

I am looking for some of these low-preparion-but-very-inventive games to lighten up my so rule-heavy D&D groups...

But who is Edward Gorey?

:( Sad to hear he died, whoever he was.
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

Look here.

I'm slightly surprised you haven't heard of him, as he seems like the sort of artist who'd be wildly popular here.
Le Noir Faineant

:D I believe I recongnize some of his illustrations from some fairy tales books I read as a child. That kind of art I want to have many books of... :) Thank you for that splendid hint, Brandi!
Le Noir Faineant

Still, those transparent cards could prevent me from buying... You know; FINGERPRINTS could really be a problem... :lol:
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

I suspected you might have seen his works without necessarily knowing his name-- he did a LOT of book illustration (I was introduced to him through the John Bellairs book The House With a Clock In Its Walls) and fans of PBS' Mystery! saw animated versions of his characters in the opening credits.

As for the cards and fingerprinting-- while I haven't handled the Gloom cards personally I've handled the clear standard-52-plus-Joker deck, and they're a kind of plastic that cleans up easily. Or just make sure your snacking fellow players have easy access to napkins. :wink:
Le Noir Faineant

Brandi wrote:... fans of PBS' Mystery! saw animated versions of his characters in the opening credits.
8) I recall something alike... About a cat, I think...
Brandi wrote: As for the cards and fingerprinting-- while I haven't handled the Gloom cards personally I've handled the clear standard-52-plus-Joker deck, and they're a kind of plastic that cleans up easily. Or just make sure your snacking fellow players have easy access to napkins. :wink:
*Thinks of his gaming group: :hazlik: :Ivana: :gabrielle: :Strahd: :soth:*

Yeah, NAPKINS will surely do...
:D