Personal Incarnations (Ravenloft NPCs)

Coordinating community projects
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

VAN wrote:That's very interesting point. There is a limit at level? Van will be level 16.
No level restrictions, as far as I am concerned. My characters are of epic scale as well. :)
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Just for reference I'm an 18th lvl wizard and that makes me a CR24 creature. :twisted: :twisted:
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant

:twisted: No challenge for Rafee's kids... :soth: They're eight adventurers of level 5, so that could even work... because they're nasty and mean... :ankhtepot:
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Desdichado wrote:Now, aren't 8 or 9 characters a bit few for a character - only book?
If we are looking at this netbook only holding character write-ups with some possible dread possibilities, then I would agree that we would want more than only 8 or 9. I would aim for something between 15 and 20 characters, which could range between low level and epic (see additional comments below). If you want to sell this book to the community, then we'll want to have enough variety to appeal to everyone.
Desdichado wrote:No level restrictions, as far as I am concerned. My characters are of epic scale as well.
This is absolutely fine and good, but you might want to keep your readers in mind as the various characters are created. The majority of the on-line community tends to focus on lower level heroes (and villains), and epic level characters tend to be the exception and not the norm. I have no qualms about having powerful characters introduced in this netbook. However, the NPCs might be worthless to most people if they are so powerful that they don't fit well into their campaigns... :?
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Desdichado wrote:Arrgh! I had totally forgotten that this thread was started by Jason... I'll start a new one with a poll!
You snooze, you lose... :wink:
Le Noir Faineant

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
I would aim for something between 15 and 20 characters, which could range between low level and epic (see additional comments below). If you want to sell this book to the community, then we'll want to have enough variety to appeal to everyone.
Dito. I'd said 18 characters, we now already range at about 10 possible submissions, so, this could indeed work.
Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
This is absolutely fine and good, but you might want to keep your readers in mind as the various characters are created. The majority of the on-line community tends to focus on lower level heroes (and villains), and epic level characters tend to be the exception and not the norm. I have no qualms about having powerful characters introduced in this netbook. However, the NPCs might be worthless to most people if they are so powerful that they don't fit well into their campaigns... :?
Mmh... I personally had only thought of netbook as a game book in second place, more as an account of our iconic critters, which should be fun to read for insiders. If one then wants to insert them in his/ her game, I am fine, but I didn't think this would be the main focus of the book...

Besides, Jason, can you be so friendly to lock this thread so that we can continue in the one I announced above, please? - To keep things in order... :)
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Desdichado wrote:I personally had only thought of netbook as a game book in second place, more as an account of our iconic critters, which should be fun to read for insiders.
I certainly have no problems with this approach, but it is something about which we needed to be clear. Speaking from personal experience, most readers will show a greater interest if a netbook has material that will be useful (easily used?) for their own purposes. Again, merely something to consider during the creation process...
Desdichado wrote:Besides, Jason, can you be so friendly to lock this thread so that we can continue in the one I announced above, please?
Consider it done. 8)