Personal Incarnations (Ravenloft NPCs)

Coordinating community projects
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Personal Incarnations (Ravenloft NPCs)

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

On the General Board, Desdichado suggested that the website community created a netbook containing a collection of NPCs. The idea was to have each person write a short summary that included details, such as statistics and background. The project would then try to connect everyone together somehow (e.g. everyone are occasional guests to the Manor de Penombre?).

Anyway, it certainly is a work in progress, which needs a lot more discussion to flesh out the specific details. However, I wanted to restart this conversation upon the appropriate board before interest died out. I'll leave the next steps to Des and the rest of you... :twisted:

Jason
Last edited by Jason of the Fraternity on Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

So the assortment stated in "Wandering Monsters" would finally reveal itself as Des proposed?
I believe that we know most of the background for the Strahds and Azalin as well as Alanik Ray, Ivana, Malken etc. :D
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

alhoon wrote:I believe that we know most of the background for the Strahds and Azalin as well as Alanik Ray, Ivana, Malken etc.
While the specifics of the netbook still need to be determined, I was under the assumption that the book would contain personas outside of the one's already prevelant in the 'official' literature (i.e., these people would create a new NPC for the book rather than using the copyrighted one).
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I also believe the book would be used to describe unique npc's created by each author. See The Malodorous Goat Netbook on this site for something a bit similar. However, where the MGN described the character each author played in the Goat, this new book need not have to follow the same principle.

I am not in charge of the project though and only the person in charge has the final say on what the guidelines will be.
Swallow your soul!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I am not in charge of the project though and only the person in charge has the final say on what the guidelines will be.
Very true, Wiccy! Since it was Desdichado's suggestion, I would say that it makes him the default project manager (at least until he say otherwise).
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I am not in charge of the project though and only the person in charge has the final say on what the guidelines will be.
Very true, Wiccy! Since it was Desdichado's suggestion, I would say that it makes him the default project manager (at least until he say otherwise).
*Enters the room, unsuspecting*

:gabrielle:

"Hi friends, I am happy to come back to check the RL Project boards again..."

:shock:

"Default project... WHAT?"

--------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, I apologize for joining this post so late. It seems I just overlooked the last *topic reply notification* email.

I'd feel honoured to chair on such a prestigeous project, if you think I can bear it. I've failed once with the E A Poe netbook.

To start, I'd suggest that we gather submissions first and then look for a background. I'd prefer if we just started describing our favourite Ravenloft PC or iconic figure of our own games (online or not). To make our figures gather somewhere should be no problem, then.

Besides, we should limit the number of submissions to the book from the beginning: Say, let it be our goal to get submissions for 18 iconic characters, not more. I personally have already two or three I'd like to portray there.

So, we'd need basically 15 submissions more to complete the netbook.

:gabrielle:

What do you think of this?
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Desdichado wrote:Besides, we should limit the number of submissions to the book from the beginning: Say, let it be our goal to get submissions for 18 iconic characters, not more.
I would agree with placing a certain limit to the total number of submissions for the netbook. I think 18 might prove to be a little limited, but it would really depend on just how many people are interested in contributing their time and effort. Honestly, I think that you would be better off limiting the number of submissions each person can make. This would ensure that you don't take several characters from only a couple people (but this would again depend upon public interest and input)...
Le Noir Faineant

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
Desdichado wrote:Besides, we should limit the number of submissions to the book from the beginning: Say, let it be our goal to get submissions for 18 iconic characters, not more.
I would agree with placing a certain limit to the total number of submissions for the netbook. I think 18 might prove to be a little limited, but it would really depend on just how many people are interested in contributing their time and effort. Honestly, I think that you would be better off limiting the number of submissions each person can make. This would ensure that you don't take several characters from only a couple people (but this would again depend upon public interest and input)...
This, of course, would be a good idea, too.

The only doubt I have is if we even get those 18 submissions... Because, if we end up with 6 certain contributors, this might get really difficult...

But first, let's see: Who's interested?/Who has already some idea for a submission?

Then, one could maybe announce the project again here at the General Board again and over at WotC...

:D
Le Noir Faineant

Ill start the list of possible submissions then:

From Desdichado: 4 possible submissions
1. Ivid the Bowman: My old Greyhawk character who was transported to Ravenloft with the whole domain of Rauxes and now looks to escape them...
2. The Black Sluggard: A very nasty and evil dwarven Blackguard, fighting with two warhammers. (From my Birthright campaign; was supposed to have entered the mists a while ago.)
3. Daisy Dustflower: :gabrielle:
4. The Disinherited Knight: A young knight, from my recent Darkon campaign, who fulfills a secret oath... (No joke with my name here, I was very inspired by Ivanhoe then...)

Please, just copy/paste this and continue with the numbers, so we get an idea of how much is in the making.

I absolutely EXPECT the following :wink: :

- An undead mindflayer/ a braineating lich/ an undead mindflayer braineating lich by alhoon

- Sir T's character

- Gemathustra's stats

- Stats for the Giant Panda of Doom!!!

:D
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Desdichado wrote:
- An undead mindflayer/ a braineating lich/ an undead mindflayer braineating lich by alhoon
OK. I'm in.

Are we going for serious netbook, humorous netbook or semihumorous - semiserious?

From your post it seems it is semi/semi.
But since Ravenloft lacks an alhoon, I'll send you the background and gamestats of an old acquintane of mine. My stats are very important to give out for every epic undead hunter to read.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

I'm intersted too.

I plan to send 2 submissions. One of course is Van, the half-elf fighter and the other one is Kimuriel a half-elf psion. The last one is ready, I use him in H.W series and I like see him in a netbook. :)
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Daisy, let's not forget that you have lately been begging for another NPC as well :P heheheheh.

WHo is gonna write up the Giant Panda of Doom??? LOL

I have ideas for many submissions, if I can get a character out I will submit, but do not hold your breath, just in case I cannot get it done, but I will try :)
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant

Desdichado wrote:Ill start the list of possible submissions then:

From Desdichado: 4 possible submissions
1. Ivid the Bowman: My old Greyhawk character who was transported to Ravenloft with the whole domain of Rauxes and now looks to escape them...
2. The Black Sluggard: A very nasty and evil dwarven Blackguard, fighting with two warhammers. (From my Birthright campaign; was supposed to have entered the mists a while ago.)
3. Daisy Dustflower: :gabrielle:
4. The Disinherited Knight: A young knight, from my recent Darkon campaign, who fulfills a secret oath... (No joke with my name here, I was very inspired by Ivanhoe then...)
5. THE alhoon

6. Van

7. Kimuriel

8. Wiccy's Special Contribution :twisted: still a secret :wink:

As for the overall tone of the netbook, as I said, first look what we get and then define how serious it's going to be...

:)
Last edited by Le Noir Faineant on Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Le Noir Faineant

Just go on with your ideas - when we have at least 15 possible submissions, we can talk about the submission guidelines. :twisted:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

? ! ? When we have 15 submissions? :x
That means that I should stop writting the alhoon relative of mine until we have 15 submissions?
My DMGuild work!