Joël of the FoS

Review: Fear Effects PDF netbook

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Fear Effects
Author: Ed Wetterman
Type: Accessory – fear checks
Format: 13 pages, PDF netbook
Release date: 2005
Summary of content: a netbook developing effects of fear, based on a random effect table.
Distributor: it is available at http://www.rpgnow.com (2.50$).
Rating: *** 1/2

This short sized netbook is developing a tool for DMs – how to induce and manage fear effects on PCs. This is an optional tool, for DMs wishing to add the effect of fear or horror to players. Sometimes, a DM can be dismounted by players not showing fear (DM: “The priest finishes his summoning spell and the mighty Hastur makes an appearance in a frightful thunderclap! His 600 feet hulking shape towers over you!” Player of a 1st level fighter: “OK doke. I try to hit him with my sling”). Many people feel that realistically sometimes a PC should turn back and run. This tool should help them. It is of course a good idea to talk with your players about this new option. The main benefits are surprising and unplanned twists to the game, and more occasions of role play, something Ravenloft fans already are aware of.

The severity of the effect is depending on the fear type: minor spook, medium shock and great fright. These categories are simple and well explained, making it easy for a DM to sort the appropriate category. One thing that irks me is that fear and horror are mixed into one category; while for me they are two separate occurrences and should have different effects.

To see if your PC is affected or not by fear, in short, you get a Will save DC 10 (plus or minus check modifiers such as “being alone” or “seeing horrific things happening to a loved one”, etc.). If you fail it, you are affected by a fear effect and you should roll on the random table. One of the good ideas of this option it that if you roll “1” to your Will DC, your fear is increased by one category (a minor spook becomes a medium shock, etc.). On the other hand, if you roll “20”, you are hardened by your inner strength and get bonuses for the remaining of the session on fear checks (this last part is a good option for Ravenloft).

Then you roll a %100 and check the fear effect on the charts. Of course, there is a different column to check the chart according to the fear category your PC faces. The stronger the fear, the stronger the effects. The table lists effects are interesting, and really can enhance a game ex: “better you then me! Attempt to grab a random bystander or ally in an effort to place him between yourself and the object of the Horror check.”, “hysterical laughing” or “nightmares for 1-10 days”, etc. A lot of research seems to have been made to gather and develop these 100 effects, ranging from the mild spook effects to the heavy phobias, compulsions or mental disorder.

The bad part of random effects is that sometimes the effect has no link to what caused it, like if you see a gory scene and get “compulsion to eat only raw meat”. People would not react that way! ;) This said, in the opening part, the author write that is aware that sometimes DMs should reroll since the “what you see is what you get” result would be silly. That’s the only bug with randomization: sometimes you have to roll again for something more appropriate. But it’s not a major problem for me.

A cool thing of this optional tool is the “recovery from permanent effects” discussion. It explains in length how a player can get rid of a permanent madness or compulsion by a treatment with a psychiatrist or a stay in an asylum. The mechanics to deal with these are simple and effective, and open a large range of roleplay opportunities.

For the Ravenloft setting (my area of DMing): the setting of Dread already has its own fear mechanics, for fear, horror and madness checks. This “fear effects” netbook could be a good addition to the fear checks effects, but not for horror or madness checks, since Ravenloft mechanics for these checks are better and more appropriate to the setting.