alhoons

Discussing all roleplaying games
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

alhoons

Post by alhoon »

I have to admit, with a bowed head and a trembling voice a terrible truth of the 3.5 edition. I cannot anylonger hold back in the comfortable folds of ignorance.

The day before yesterday, I killed a cleric to eat his brain, steal his magic items and spread misery to his friends and family. In his possessions was a strange book named "Lords of Madness, the book of aberrations D&D 3.5 edition". A book that explains our world with mechanics that can be used and understood.
Inside the book there was a terrible and mind shattering piece of information:

Alhoons are liches
When we used to only be undead wizards of 9th level + with a fear aura and lich immunities and skill bonuses, now we should be 11th level+, and gain a fear aura, paralyzing touch, negative energy touch (1d8 +5) and lich immunities and skill bonuses.

In the creating an alhoon section the book just writes:
"An alhoon conforms to all the normal rules for adding the lich template to a humanoid, except as noted below"
And the difference is that instead of "Undead (augmented humanoid)" the alhoon's type is "Undead (augmented aberration)"

So that is. In 3.5 edition there is no diference between alhoon and mind flayer lich. Alhoons are liches

PS. I have no problem with that except the initial shock. Liches and mind flayers are my favorite villains.
Since in the earlier editions of the game, alhoons were different than liches I couldn't stand the misinformation that "Monsters of Faerun" spread that alhoons were liches all along, without the required caster level, lich special attacks or even phylactery.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I have been telling you that for ages to wind you up and it ends up being true, just typical, LOL.
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

You were WRONG Wiccy about this matter! Now, you're right.

The 2nd ed alhoon and the alhoon from FR were NOT liches. The new alhoon is just a mind flayer wizard/sorcerer with the lich template. . .

So the new campaign is:
"Alhoons weren't liches!" :wink: (Now they are, but this is not the point).
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

alhoon wrote:"Alhoons weren't liches!" :wink: (Now they are, but this is not the point).
Now, what are YOU? - A braineating mindflayer, a braineating lich, or both at the same time? :wink: :shock: :?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

A brain eating lich or a mind flayer lich. Both mean the same now. The problem is, that I now have to locate my phylactery. . .
My DMGuild work!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

alhoon wrote:Alhoons weren't liches!
But they were commonly called illithiliches :P hahahahahahaha

Do not anger your god little lichy, for I am Wiccy and I am wrathful... unless I'm bribed with complete Ravenloft collections, lots of sweeties, dark chocolate oranges, 1st class plane tickets to Sacramento... lol.
Swallow your soul!
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Yes they were. Not illithid liches, illithiliches. Similar, but not same.

Anyway, I would get back on topic. As the new alhoon is a total and complete lich, it should have decent spells.

While most of the spells the authors decided on the sample 12th level sorcerer alhoon were good, I have some disagreements. I will underline the spells I disagree with. When there is no explanation for the disagreement, it means that I consider it weak, especially when there are other similar spells in the spell list.

1st: chill touch, mage armor, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, shocing grasp
2nd: command undead, minor image, resist energy, see invisibility, touch of idiocy
3rd: fly, haste, lighting bolt, nondetection
4th: dimension door, Evard's black tentacles, greater invisibility
5th: cone of cold, teleport
6th:globe of invulnerability (Alhoon's SR is 37!)
Instead: shield, scry, disintegrate

Possessions proposed: gloves +4 dex, ring of protection +4, cloak of resistance +4, wand of scortching rays, green and lavender ioun stone (He has 37 SR!).
instead: cloak +4 charisma, wand of enervation
16500 gp value scrolls: meteor swarm, forcecage, bigby's forceful hand, wall of force, antimagic field, true seeing, cat's grace (7th level caster), Baleful polymorph, insanity, displacement (12th level caster)
My DMGuild work!