HP and the half-blood prince

Books, movies, television and everything else
Joël of the FoS

HP and the half-blood prince

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I just finished reading it (bought it Monday night :) ).

Perhaps the best Harry Potter book yet. Really, It is very good - Harry is now 16 and the themes are somber now.

What amazed me is the cross references with the previous 5 books. Miss Rowling really planned well those 7 books. I was really amazed of the way everything in the previous 5 books mingled into something very well crafted. She would make a great DM ;)

Highly recommended!

Joël
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I don't care for Harry Potter. So I'd just like to let everyone know that it is *** who dies.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:I don't care for Harry Potter. So I'd just like to let everyone know that it is *** who dies.
I think just about everyone with an internet connection's knows that by now, weither they've read the book or not. Hell, I've seen a few livejournal icons in memorial to the character.
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:I don't care for Harry Potter. So I'd just like to let everyone know that it is *** who dies.
I was more surprised at the identity of the Half-blood Prince! Haven't read it yet, but I was at a midnight release party and got it when it came out. Have to wait for my kids to finish it, so I'm re-reading Goblet of Fire & Order of the Phoenix until they let me have it.
Joël of the FoS

Catman Jim wrote: I was more surprised at the identity of the Half-blood Prince! Haven't read it yet, but I was at a midnight release party and got it when it came out. Have to wait for my kids to finish it, so I'm re-reading Goblet of Fire & Order of the Phoenix until they let me have it.
Indeed, the Half-blood prince is a revelation that explains many things.

Good idea indeed to reread the last book before this one. Many small details will get another significance ...

Joël
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

I hope the series ends with an epic fight between harry and the prince. like Matrix or Star Wars or the NEW Star Wars or Me, Myself and Irene...

:lol:

Really, cannot understand what's so great about that boy... Looks a bit like me when I was younger... Glasses and scar... hehehe I am how Harry will be when grown up... :twisted: no good :twisted:
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Desdichado wrote: Really, cannot understand what's so great about that boy... Looks a bit like me when I was younger... Glasses and scar... hehehe I am how Harry will be when grown up... :twisted: no good :twisted:
And married to Lisa Simpson?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Le Noir Faineant

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Hehe, I once knew a girl called Lisa, but she was more like Chuckie's bride. Got my first kiss from her. Won't ever forget!

:Strahd:
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: HP and the half-blood prince

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:What amazed me is the cross references with the previous 5 books. Miss Rowling really planned well those 7 books.
I am not a big fan of the Harry Potter books, but they are a good read if you don't take things too seriously. Plus, as Joel has already stated, Rowling really has pulled the stories together with each new book. I was rather impressed with how much this sixth book used from the previous five stories. If her storytelling continues to improve for the seventh book, then I would be interested in seeing just how she ties everything up in the end.
Catman Jim wrote:I was more surprised at the identity of the Half-blood Prince!
Me too! I had guessed who would be the major character that died long before the book ever came out and wasn't very surprised to be correct (although the actual death scene did surprise me a little bit). However, I was completely off with the true identity of the half-blood prince.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

What kind of Harry Potter thread is this? Wiccy didn't show up spewing vitriol about how much he hates HP! That's very lax of him!

I haven't read it yet, and have thus far avoided getting spoiled about anything. Thank you for not spoiling it for me here.

I'll guess right off the bat that the Half-Blood Prince is Voldemort, since it seems like something he would call himself. I guess it could be a total wildcard like Hagrid, Dumbledore or Lucuis Malfoy. Maybe Harry's father, to make Harry more of a Mary Sue or something... As to who dies, hmm, Harry is of course safe. Ron and Hermione, probably also survive. But I think most of Harry's mentors are fair game: Dumbledore, Hagrid, Lupin, the other teachers, Ron's family, and members of the Order of the Phoenix... so that when Harry eventually has to face down Voldemort again, he can't rely on them for help. The Durselys are undoubtably safe, no matter how much they desreve getting squashed like bugs. Well, I guess they don't actually deserve death, they're merely (EDITED), not evil.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
VAN
Champion of the Maiden
Champion of the Maiden

Post by VAN »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote: I was really amazed of the way everything in the previous 5 books mingled into something very well crafted. She would make a great DM ;)
Maybe someone should propose that to her and speak about all RPG thing!

As about Harry Potter I'm really curious to see how everything will end at the last book. I'm sure that we will have the super-extra finalbattle Potter-Voldermont! But what will happen then? Harry and his friends will be gratuated wizards and I'd like see them have more adventures. But I don't think that Ms Rowling will continue writting stories about them.
- The first 2 Feats a wizard should take are "point blank shot" and "Precise shot"!
- W H A T ! ? !
- Or they should NEVER memorize rays!
Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Catman Jim »

Charlatan wrote:I'll guess right off the bat that the Half-Blood Prince is Voldemort, since it seems like something he would call himself. I guess it could be a total wildcard like Hagrid, Dumbledore or Lucuis Malfoy. Maybe Harry's father, to make Harry more of a Mary Sue or something... As to who dies, hmm, Harry is of course safe. Ron and Hermione, probably also survive. But I think most of Harry's mentors are fair game: Dumbledore, Hagrid, Lupin, the other teachers, Ron's family, and members of the Order of the Phoenix... so that when Harry eventually has to face down Voldemort again, he can't rely on them for help. The Durselys are undoubtably safe, no matter how much they desreve getting squashed like bugs. Well, I guess they don't actually deserve death, they're merely (EDITED), not evil.
#1 - Nope, Voldemort would never admit to being half-blooded. You are getting close with the wildcard guesses, though.
#2 - Yup, one of those dies.
Joël of the FoS

Charlatan wrote:I'll guess right off the bat that the Half-Blood Prince is Voldemort, since it seems like something he would call himself. I guess it could be a total wildcard like Hagrid, Dumbledore or Lucuis Malfoy. Maybe Harry's father, to make Harry more of a Mary Sue or something...
Wrong!

And I edited your post to remove ***hidden word. Please make sure you use gentlemen's words ;)
Joël of the FoS

OK, Catman was quicker and he reveal more... Shhh! Let them read it ;)

Did you like the book ?

Joël
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:
Charlatan wrote:I'll guess right off the bat that the Half-Blood Prince is Voldemort, since it seems like something he would call himself.
Wrong!
No, it isn't Voldemort, but he was my first guess through a majority of the book. I certainly won't spoil the surprise for anyone reading this, but the actual Half-Blood Prince was not a character that I would have expected...

VAN wrote:
Joël of the Fraternity wrote: I was really amazed of the way everything in the previous 5 books mingled into something very well crafted. She would make a great DM ;)
Maybe someone should propose that to her and speak about all RPG thing!
On a sidenote, I am rather surprised that some company hasn't created and published some sort of Harry Potter RPG (or I haven't heard of one if they have). With such a large fanbase for the books, I would have thought that there would be been a significant demand for a game where players could be characters at Hogwarts...
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]