Freed Serial Killer

Books, movies, television and everything else
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:British and Irish police also have collapsable batons that have a ball baring inside. One hit from one can break an arm if used with enough force. Personally, I think giving the police guns encourages more accidents.
I agree with your point.
If the Irish police is well trained in their use, they can prove very effective as sir T said.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Blackpaws
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blackpaws »

I think the police in Cincinnati should have to follow that example. I swear it's their instinct to start firing before they turn their police lights on.
...For the dead travel fast.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Blackpaws wrote:I think the police in Cincinnati should have to follow that example. I swear it's their instinct to start firing before they turn their police lights on.
A Robin Williams quote, paraphrased:

New York policeman: "Stop or I'll shoot!" BANG!

Los Angeles policeman: BANG! "Stop or I'll shoot!"

British policeman: "Stop or I'll say stop again in a slightly louder voice!"
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Well over where I am it seems whenever someone gets shot by a police officer there is an inquiry which is a lengthy process. Determent through administration and beaurocracy is quite powerful. Plus they try to use all other methods if possible (spraying is becoming a lot more common).
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
British and Irish police also have collapsable batons that have a ball baring inside. One hit from one can break an arm if used with enough force.
This ia called an ASP. Comes in sizes from 12 inches long to 26 inches. I carry the 26 myself. It is a pain compliance device and is a wonderful piece of equipment. It is used for nonlethal situations.

Because of some of the views expressed about those of us in law enforcement I was going to write more but I couldnt with out it sounding very pissed off. So I will wait a while to see if I can write something with out coming off as jerk or worse.

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
AdamGarou
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by AdamGarou »

[rant]

Okay, here we go (and apologies in advance for both the long post and the possible tone some parts of it may take).

To Joel--thanks for the info. The numbers do seem compelling. However, as I said, I think that making the statement that the death penalty does not prevent future crimes and pointing to the fact that Canada does not have the death penalty while exhibiting lower numbers of crimes (per capita) as evidence of this ignores other contributing factors. Some of them economic, some of them political, and some of them sociological.

Unfortunately, I haven't figured out the best way to follow up that point and present those factors without sounding like an elitist jerk, so I'll have to get back with you on this one.
alhoon wrote:I am against Death Penalty as a legal punishment. While sometimes it can be useful, I have certain points against it:
- Mistakes cannot be corrected, and a legal system should be aware of that.
- Death penalty leaves no chance for redemption and a legal system should first and foremost attempt instruct the criminal, not just dissuade others from similar crimes.
- Killing isn't legal, so death penalty shouldn't be legal.
No, mistakes cannot be corrected. But it seems that (in the American system of justice, at least) it takes more than a decade before all legal appeals and other avenues are exhausted. Given this length of time, it seems far less likely to me that the "mistakes" you refer to will not be discovered and addressed. Especially with advances in technology and the aforementioned DNA profiling and similar techniques.

To your second opinion, I respectfully disagree. While I believe that certain criminals can indeed be "redeemed" and become productive members of society (and there are mitigating circumstances in some crimes, a la Jean Valjean in Les Miserables), I don't think the point of the legal system is to instruct the criminal--at least not the way I think you mean. Who grows up not realizing that murdering a convenience store clerk for the few hundred dollars he may have in the cash register is wrong? To that, it seems the point of the legal system may well be to "instruct"... but to do so in a way that illustrates the point through punishment (or "negative reinforcement" to use a psychological term) rather than trying to help the criminal find his inner child.

To your third opinion--isn't that like saying (as others seem to do later on in the thread) that even though violent criminals have firearms to shoot at police, the police shouldn't have the tools to respond in kind?
Sir T wrote: I have 0 sympathy with those who scream that the death penalty is a deterant, and then wave the worst asshole they can dig up in your face as a reason. Guess what, most people who commit even murder are not monsters. They are depressingly ordinary people who made a bad, bad BAD decision. The vast majority of murderers are not serial killers either.

Sure. A "bad, bad BAD decision" for which they should have to deal with the consequences.

And yet again, if that "worst a**hole" is executed, he won't kill anyone else. Ever. You can keep someone in jail for twenty years (which seems to be the maximum that most so-called "life sentences" seem to be these days anyway), and they can still kill again when they get out. However much counseling they get. However many people sympathized with them and got them to talk about how their parents didn't love them enough. But if they're executed, they won't. Period.

To use your words, I have zero sympathy with people who try to explain why Jeffrey Dahmer killed and ate more than a dozen people. I don't care that he had a tough homelife. I don't care that he felt misunderstood. I don't care that he had difficulties with the various urges and desires that bubble up as part of adolescence. There are hundreds of other people who had much the same start in life who DIDN'T become serial killers. Or even one-time murderers.

On the other hand, I DO care that he committed those crimes. Statements he made in court showed that he knew what he was doing was wrong, so there's little reason to analyze further. I think most would agree, he was in fact a "monster."

And I don't know too many people who cried because he died in prison.
Sir T wrote: The reason we don't kill them is not to protect them. Its to protect ourselves from becoming them.
Beautifully put, but somewhat naive in my opinion.
maraudar wrote:This ia called an ASP. Comes in sizes from 12 inches long to 26 inches. I carry the 26 myself. It is a pain compliance device and is a wonderful piece of equipment. It is used for nonlethal situations.

Because of some of the views expressed about those of us in law enforcement I was going to write more but I couldnt with out it sounding very pissed off. So I will wait a while to see if I can write something with out coming off as jerk or worse.
I'm familiar with the weapon. It is very solid in construction, and very effective even if used by someone who doesn't really know what they're doing.

Maraudar, I'm not in law enforcement, so I can't say that I understand what you're probably trying to say. Nonetheless, I'll give it a try, as my best friend's brother is a police officer.

There are probably a lot of bad police officers, and many who start out with good intentions but become worn down by the job itself. Seeing human beings at their worst every single day would take the shine off even a paladin's aura--and these guys don't even have the benefit of a Holy Avenger sword or the ability to heal by laying on hands. Nonetheless, these people are doing a job that most of us don't have the courage to do.

Imagine going to work each day, knowing that there's a distinct possibility that you won't come home that night. Kissing your wife or husband good-bye in the morning and knowing that the next time they see you may be in a morgue. And I'm not talking about a terrorist attack or the odd chance that a fired office co-worker may go on a shooting spree. I mean that in the course of your normal job duties, you may be shot, stabbed, blown up, run over, etc.

Imagine that you are told that in protecting yourself and your fellow officers, you must nonetheless be concerned with anyone who might have a camcorder going and will certainly provide it to the court when the criminal who has waved a gun or knife in your face is suing you because you used an ASP to break his kneecap and take him down.

Imagine that the criminal you are arresting makes a grab for a fellow officer's gun. You have only a fraction of a second to act. So you do--you're in danger, and so is your fellow officer, so you shoot. And while a criminal can claim police brutality, few people want to believe you when you claim self defense because you supposedly should have been able--in that fraction of a second--to "shoot to wound."

I feel very strongly about this, because my best friend's brother Rod actually had this happen to him. He and his partner were arresting a young man who was obviously on drugs (or was jonesing for his next fix) because the young man broke into a department store after-hours to steal some televisions or DVD players. As they were arresting him, the young man resisted arrest and went for the officer's gun. He got it, fought free of both officers, broke Rod's nose with an elbow, and then turned the gun on his partner (shooting him once in the shoulder). In that moment, tears streaming from his eyes and blood gushing from his nose, Rod shot the guy in the chest.

He saved his partner's life, but there was still a long and very public investigation where his name was dragged through the mud and the criminal's family tried to sue him. In the end, it was ruled justified, but it didn't change what had happened. Rod had been a cop for about 12 years and had never shot anyone in the line of duty... but when the time came, he was able to make the choice and save both his life and his partner's life.

So before you talk about how trigger-happy most cops are, think about what they're doing each day. Think about how--like soldiers--they're putting their lives on the line every time they punch the clock. It isn't for the money (around where I live at least, they don't make much more than teachers), and it isn't because (for the most part at least) they enjoy violence. They do it because it needs to be done.

So how about saving up some of that sympathy for convicted murderers and spreading it over to the police officers instead? I think they'd appreciate it.

[/rant]
“I let out a battle cry. Sure, a lot of people might have mistaken it for a sudden yelp of unmanly fear, but trust me. It was a battle cry.”
― Harry Dresden
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

AdamGarou wrote:[rant]
Well done, you wrote it without being nasty.
To Joel--thanks for the info. The numbers do seem compelling. However, as I said, I think that making the statement that the death penalty does not prevent future crimes and pointing to the fact that Canada does not have the death penalty while exhibiting lower numbers of crimes (per capita) as evidence of this ignores other contributing factors. Some of them economic, some of them political, and some of them sociological.
It's true that we do not have as much clashes between races here than some US areas (except perhaps Toronto and Vancouver, but it seems to me much quieter on that front).

Joël
Blackpaws
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blackpaws »

This topic is very biased and will never come to a complete agreement on all parts, so I hope no one gets too worked up over this. Yes, I say biased because this is a topic where everyone had been forced to draw their bias due to their paticular growing up.

Not to go into detail on the Cincinnati race riots the police started, more locally I've been subjected to many local police driving drunk in their squad cars, the town to the west had their entire force sacked (with the exception of maybe 1-2) for personally using the drugs they confiscated and further abusing their powers. I've always been a bit of an odd ball, when I was younger my hair was generally 1-2 unnatural colours, I've been heavily tattooed since 18, and have had a large bull ring (septum ring) in my nose since 19. I've been harassed everytime I've been pulled over, my car is always searched, and I'm always squarmed with questions assuming I'm a drug addict (I don't do drugs). It's even gone so far as to police I.D.ing me (over a year ago when I worked at a gas station) at work, behind the counter, because I looked "suspicious". I'm a respectable polite person with a respectable job (I've been in a higher up office job position for UPS for coming on my first year) but I still get treated like scum.

Do I instantly hate any police I run across without him/her giving me reason? No, of course not. But sit in the "criminals" shoes for awhile and perhaps you would have more sympathy for them.
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

But sit in the "criminals" shoes for awhile and perhaps you would have more sympathy for them.
Nope. Not going to happen.
Steve Miller, Writer of Stuff
Once and Future Ravenloft Contributor
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Adam you made some great points there and thanks for telling folks about what you did. Ive been in 7 shootings since I joined up and three of them have been fatalities. Ive been sued for wrongful death on each occasion and won those suits as each shooting was justified. Law enforcement can be the lousiest job in world on any given day. The people who call you for assistance will turn on you in a heart beat and try to hurt, maim or even kill you depending on the given situation. We dont shoot to wound for a very serious reason. A wounded suspect is a dangerous suspect and can still take your life, your partners life or a civilians life. Shooting to wound is from hollywoood not real life. When a suspect is wounded it is not by choice becuse our training is to shoot for center mass and to continue firing until the threat is removed.

Blackpaw:

Sadly enough you are right. You are profiled on your appearence becuase it matches those that the officers will have come in contact with in the past doing illegal things. It is not right by a long shot. Just because you look, dress or act a certain way does not justifiy harrassment. Especially in cases where an officer may have stopped you in the past and knows you arent doing any thing illegal but they are "fishing". I try not to do this myself but will say in all honesty that I have done it in the past. Didnt make it right even though it may have produced results. Also I am sorry I cant sit in a criminals shoes knowing what I do know of them. I am completely unsympathetic to them for the most part. Some cases deserve or require my compassion but they are few and far between.

Your right we have to keep our perspective about this topic or it will degenerate into mindless bashing of one another. My biggest problem came when I read a few of the comments that seemed to question the integrity of my profession. I decided to wait a while before I posted so that I would be in a better frame of mind before doing so. Hopefully I did this.. Never know though I could be rambling on deluded completely :shock:

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Blackpaws
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blackpaws »

Steve Miller wrote:
But sit in the "criminals" shoes for awhile and perhaps you would have more sympathy for them.
Nope. Not going to happen.
I fail to see how this post contributes anything to the discussion. By "criminals" I wasn't refering to serial killers, or a person attempting to wound or kill an officer in any given situation. My apologies if this didn't come out clear and for the way this retort is a bit crude. It just irks me when people reply with little one liners disagreeing to someones opinion without the courtesy of supplying a reason as if it was simply fact.

Maraudar,

You post was completely cool headed, and from my short duration of these boards I would wager it would have been had you not waited at all, so no worries. Even if someone involved in this discussion slips abit it would be understandable as this is a touchy subject.

Also I wouldn't take anything said here as an affront to you personally. Name any profession in the world, and theres guaranteed to be countless misconeptions or bad personal experiences that get taken out on people in the future who had no connection whatsoever.

Anyway, I say we all just agree to disagree and perhaps discuss something less heated. Religion and sex anyone? :wink:
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

AdamGarou wrote:
I respectfully disagree.
No problem with that Adam. . . :wink: I keep my opinions though.

Mararaudar: I know what you're talking about. A few years in the past a policeman shot at a man that threw a molotov coctail in the policecar. The policeman was on fire when he draw the pistol and shot, he later was inserted to hospital as his legs were severely burned.

He lost his job as there were riots against him calling him Nazi, Facist, gun-headed etc. Many believed that he was lying and that he wasn't hurt by the molotov and just used that as an excuse. They believed he knew the man he shot from files/photos of the police and he tried to kill him on purpose.

I don't remember what happened to the man that threw the molotov coctail but IIRC the policeman missed him entirely. But NOOO! the policeman should have been coolheaded and just run away on his burning legs to avoid another molotov coctail.
After all, isn't this their job? To give target practice to people?

On the other hand: I have seen many policemen abuse their power. On the street a very large part ignore the regulations on traffic casually (not just when they chase someone). Many are very prone to use violence. I have seen people being brought low because they asked "Why?" when an officer asked them to see their ID. A few of my friends have been victims of police abuse.
And yet. . . When I was taken in by a policecar since I looked like a suspect to some bandalism and then later (about 30' that is) they asked a witness and told them that it wasn't me they apologized and even offered to drive me home.

No, not all police officers are powerhungry, trigger-happy criminals in blue suits.
If someone attacks me, I'll run to the police. If someone steals something from me, I'll run to the police. When I see a police car at night when I'm walking alone on a dark street, I feel safe.
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
My DMGuild work!
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

It just irks me when people reply with little one liners disagreeing to someones opinion without the courtesy of supplying a reason as if it was simply fact.
The fact is that I have no desire or intention of putting myself in the "criminals'" shoes, whether it be actual criminals or just someone who likes to dress up like a punk or a gang-banger.

I've spent enough time working odd hours and places (music reporter, night editor, and the sort) or in security and L.P. jobs that I much prefer the police being pro-active. I like the idea of a police force that's out there to protect me.

Are there bad cops? Sure. But the fact that they exist doesn't make it any less a fact that I have no inclination to sympathize with "criminals" or those who get whiny because they are singled out... after they single themselves out.

So... "Nope. Not going to happen."
Help keep my cats fed and my car gassed up: [url=http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=3765]NUELOW Games at RPGNow.[/url]
Steve Miller
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Steve Miller »

I have seen people being brought low because they asked "Why?" when an officer asked them to see their ID.
If I live to 100, I'll never understand what possesses otherwise intelligent people who have nothing to hide to not simply say, "Yes officer" when a uniformed policeman asks to see your ID or to come over and talk to them.

Police officers are just like the rest of us. They'd vastly prefer to get through their day without confronting someone who's a bastard. Why make their day harder?

BTW, I've been where you are as far as being detained because I was mistaken for someone else (or, in my case, my car). I cooperated with the police, they cleared the situation up, they apologized for the delay, and I was was on my way. I suppose I COULD have been an idiot and refused to show ID or get out of the car... but since I had nothing to hide, why behave as if I did?
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Steve Miller wrote: If I live to 100, I'll never understand what possesses otherwise intelligent people who have nothing to hide to not simply say, "Yes officer" when a uniformed policeman asks to see your ID or to come over and talk to them.
It is not an anti-authoritarian act usually. In a case I have seen there was a man about 1,7 meters tall about 25-30 years old and not strong that was just absent minded at the moment and was startled when he was confronted by the policeman. He didn't asked "why" in a cocky way just in a suprised way. The policeman punched him and the man fell down shouting "Sorry! Sorry! OK!" and the other one said rather casually "When I ask you something you don't question me". I was afraid to say anything and just left the scene pretending I haven't seen anything.
I usually also walk upsentminded and in 2-3 cases I have been asked for my ID I usually say "What?" or "Why?". I always get a more-or-less polite answer though.
Steve Miller wrote: BTW, I've been where you are as far as being detained because I was mistaken for someone else (or, in my case, my car). I cooperated with the police, they cleared the situation up, they apologized for the delay, and I was was on my way.
I was never harassed by police mr Miller! I also cooperated in the case they asked me and then they apologized for themselves. I haven't felt "abused" or that something went against "my rights". I was in fact surprised when they apologized for doing their job in such a manner. They were polite with me all the way, we chatted about this or that while we waited for the witness and then they offered me a ride.
Since it was my elementary school the building that has been vandalized, and I have many good memories of the place, I wanted to help.
My DMGuild work!