H.P.Lovecraft a forgotten writter?

Books, movies, television and everything else
Patrick Teufelmann
Conspirator
Conspirator

H.P.Lovecraft a forgotten writter?

Post by Patrick Teufelmann »

Are there any fans of this "forgotten" author?
It´s time of the shadows
and all of those lights
cannot bring peace
to your soul.
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

*Hand shoots up so quickly he's lifted out of his seat*

And I'd hardly say he's forgotten. Not well known perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that I could ask thirty people if they're familiar with his work, and get at least one positive response.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Have every story the man ever published :D .. Chaosium puts out trade paperbacks of his and other authors stories also check this website out http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lo ... index.html

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Sure!

I wrote an essay on Lovecraft and Ravenloft useablity. You'll find it in the salon (don't mind the last section, I'm out of jail now).

Joël
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I've read quite a few of his shorts; inspires the imagination quite well.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

Lovecraft rocks.

His works enspired things as diverse as Metallica songs, films like In the Mouth of Madness and even an episode of Justice League: Unlimited.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Brandi
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Brandi »

If he *was* forgotten, it was only for a short time after his death. August Derleth, whether you care for his take on the Cthulhu Mythos or not, really kept HPL available for people by founding Arkham House.
Rucht Lilavivat
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Rucht Lilavivat »

Lovecraft has had so much influence on the horror genre and our pop culture, it's not even funny.

There are so many things that I constantly see in books, movies, comics, and video games that are very much Lovecraft-influenced. Most noticably Hellboy in recent memory - the comics and movie.

Any other spot-on Lovecraftian influences of note in recent culture?
MatthiasStormcrow
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by MatthiasStormcrow »

Forgotten? By who? Don't be ridiculous. (Looks over at the Lovecraft portrait on his wall for inspiration). I certainly haven't forgotten him. Huge numbers of people go to visit his gravesite every year, and I can't think of one respectable bookstore that you could walk into and not find something written by him. In fact, if you're so inclined, you can even go on the H.P. Lovecraft walking tour of Providence's East Side: http://www.hplovecraft.com/creation/sites/walktour.htm (Note that while I have known about this for a while, I've yet to actually do it. But, I've lived in Boston for five years or so now, and I still haven't taken a Duck Boat tour, either. <shrugs>).

So, yeah. There are a few fans out there. :wink:
"You see, what you thought was a gibbering abomination from the pits of Hell was really just a fruitbat. We get 'em all the time in Salt Lake."

-Benjamin Dean, Doomtown Ep. 8
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

MatthiasStormcrow wrote:So, yeah. There are a few fans out there. :wink:
Here's one more. It's been close to two years since I've read any of his stuff, but I absolutely loved most of his work. My favorites are "The Rats in the Walls" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth."
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

MatthiasStormcrow wrote:Forgotten? By who? Don't be ridiculous. (Looks over at the Lovecraft portrait on his wall for inspiration). I certainly haven't forgotten him. Huge numbers of people go to visit his gravesite every year, and I can't think of one respectable bookstore that you could walk into and not find something written by him. In fact, if you're so inclined, you can even go on the H.P. Lovecraft walking tour of Providence's East Side: http://www.hplovecraft.com/creation/sites/walktour.htm (Note that while I have known about this for a while, I've yet to actually do it. But, I've lived in Boston for five years or so now, and I still haven't taken a Duck Boat tour, either. <shrugs>).

So, yeah. There are a few fans out there. :wink:
You are in Rhode Island? Then you could perhaps help me - while in Providence last summer (in a trip from Boston to NY) to pay tribute to HP, I found nearly no mention of HP anywhere, or as I say in my review:
I didn’t see a thing about Lovecraft in the travel guides or in the official city travel literature found on the net. Not a line, nothing when the guides mention the Who’s Who that lived in Providence… It’s like he never lived there. No ‘Lovecraft road’. Also, I didn’t see any Lovecraft mention in commercial signing either – no ‘Shoggoth Pub’, or whatever :)
Why ? Why ? Why ?

We could start an online petition ? :)

Joël
Fido
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Fido »

Hah. Cause of my doing, a teacher of mine is now addicted... :)

I adore Lovecraft.
Blackpaws
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Blackpaws »

I wouldn't see Lovecraft as forgotten either. Most people are probaly more familar with things influenced by his work, than his work itself.
...For the dead travel fast.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

I love Lovecraft's works! Just last Tuesday I bought an old 60's paperback titled "The Dunwich Horror and Other Stories" for PhP9.00 (roughly US$0.10), and I loved every bit of it, especially the story about the guy who got stuck in a tomb and got out only after a corpse bit his ankles.

Plus, the Cthulhu Coloring Book rocks. :)
Cole Deschain
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Cole Deschain »

All hail ol' H.P.

He couldn't write dialogue to save his life, and it didn't matter.
Go tell the Spartans, thou who passest by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.