Prestige Class for Gothic Earth

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Prestige Class for Gothic Earth

Post by Blake_Alexander »

Does anyone else find the Prestigue Classes presented in the D20 Masque of the Red Death Campaign Setting Expansion rather limited? I've been looking thought that section of the book, and the prestigue classes that are listed seemed to over lap in several cases, and leave large gaps in other areas. For instance, the Antiquarian and the Artifact Hunter seem to be related classes, one geared more for the field and the other the classroom/library. Similarly, the Lycanthrope Hunter and the Undead Hunter are almost identical with only a difference in favored enemy. I was wondering if anyone had created any prestigue classes for their campaigns, or if anyone had any suggestions for new prestigue classes that could be developed?
Last edited by Blake_Alexander on Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Ugh, that brings back some bad memories.

On the plus side, Dragon Magazine issue 315 published a prestige class for LaLumier.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

So there was an attempt at making specific prestigue classes for at least one of the Qabals. I thought that would be the best way to handle each of the secret societies. After all, each one is so unique with its own goals, objectives and general character. I'd be very interested in seeing what the members of this board could come up with on the subject! Perhaps, if there was enough interest and input it might be worthy of an article, series of articles, or even a netbook.
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

After obtaining a copy of Dragon Magazine #315 containing the LaLumier, I've come up with the basics of a Prestigue class that I'd like to run past the forum for the qabal known as Die Watchtern

Wachtern

Requirements:

Alignment: Lawful Good
Base Attack Bonus: +5
Knowledge (Forbidden Lore) 5
Feats: Martial Weapon Proficiency (any one)
Courage

Special: The character must be a member of Die Wachtern

Hit Dice: d8

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Esquestrian (Dex), Jum (Str), Knowledge (Ancient Language) (Int), Knowledge (Cryptology) (Int), Knowledge (Ettiquette) (Int), Knowledge (Forbidden Lore) (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survial (Wis)

Skill Points: 6+ Int Modifier

Class Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Ref Will Special
1st +0 +2 +2 +2 Resist Terror
Archive Knowledge
2nd +1 +3 +3 +3 Strength of Character
1/day (+1d6)
3rd +2 +3 +3 +3 Inspire Bravery
1/day (+1)
4th +3 +4 +4 +4 1st Favored Enemy
5th +3 +4 +4 +4 Strength of Character
2/day (+2d6)
6th +4 +5 +5 +5 Inspire Bravery
2/day (+2)
7th +5 +5 +5 +5 2nd Favored Enemy
8th +6 +6 +6 +6 Strength of Character
3/day (+3d6)
9th +6 +6 +6 +6 Inspire Bravery
3/day (+3)
10th +7 +7 +7 +7 Aura aof Courage,
3rd Favored Enemy

Resist Terror: +1 bonus vs. fear and horror checks

Archive knowledge: Whenever a character fails a Forbideen Lore Skill Check they can attempt to contact the Die Watchern for information. This is reflected by a second Knoweldge (Forbidden Lore) skill check. To use this skill the character must contact the Qabal via a some method, relies generally take 1d3 day.

Strength of Character: The Character uses their Strength of Character (Charisma) to overcome their foes. Once per day for a number of rounds equal to the Wisdom bonus of the character , they can add their Charisma bonus to thier attach rolls aginst any evil, non-natural creature. An additional d6 is added to damage if the character hits. This ability increases in damage as indicated on the abilities chart.

Inspire Bravery: Inspres others bravery (taken from Dragon #315)

Aura of Courage: The charter cain the ability to inspire those around them to resist the affects of Fear and Horror. If they make a successful save of the approapiate type, they can give those around them a +2 bonus to second saving throw to anyone who failed a similar check the round before. It can affect all within 30 feet who are allies.
Blake_Alexander
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

In attempting this Prestige class I was trying to bear in mind Die Wachtern's habbit of sleceting former military men and it's Archive of Forbidden Lore. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Pretty good, it sets up thye character to be the leader of the group - the type of person who could unite some fearful, mundane mortals against the forces ofthe supernatural.

Only suggestion I would make is some sort of monster-lore focus - as opposed to an ability that depends on organizational contact.
Die Watchern seem to be the type to have little internal organization, as a learned lesson from the disaster at Alexandria. The Watchers would have little contact with one another, thus making the complete destruction of the organization impossible.
Evil Reigns!!!!
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

One thing about "Die Wächtern"

As the group was founded in Leipzig the name is quite likely german. But in german it is spelled "Die Wächter", without the 'n'. :)
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

William Blackmoor wrote:One thing about "Die Wächtern"

As the group was founded in Leipzig the name is quite likely german. But in german it is spelled "Die Wächter", without the 'n'. :)
Honest answer? Blame America. ;)

Seriously? I think the authors either decided it sounded cooler or weren't too clued up on German grammar. Personally, it doesn't matter to me.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
eidolon
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by eidolon »

toe be exact, it would be die Wächter. the 'n'shouldn't be there. But seing van Helsing in it, the Dutch name would be de Wachters or de Bewakers.
oh well, whatever you like you use