DMG II

Discussing all roleplaying games
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

DMG II

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=pr ... /863170000

Check the link. A DMG II? Anyone else wondering why?
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: DMG II

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Anyone else wondering why?
The pursuit of more money, perhaps? It looks rather redundant to the first Dungeon Master's Guide, but looks can be deceiving. From the description, there could be some very usful information for dungeon masters without much time to spare. However, I am skeptical as to how much more you'll get from this book that wasn't already provided elsewhere.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

Wondering why? No. Most likely they think it'll make money. Apart from that, I'll have to see. I doubt whether it'd be of any use to experienced DMs, but for us beginning ones, it might come in useful. Either that or I just tackle my boyfriend into helping me out. He might be a bit cheaper than the book ;)
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Coan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Coan »

Probably more for the newbie DM than a more experienced DM. I won't be getting it but if you're a hard core 3.5 Ed D&D DMer with excess cash (wow that's a lot of description for one title) then I'd imagine it might sell well enough. Look at the 'Complete' series. If people go and buy all those books after buying Song and Silence and the like, a DMG2 will work.
[size=75]-Wake up... wake up and smell the ashes-[/size]
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

There's a preview of the book and an excerpt up on Wizards' site now. It looks interesting, both for newbies and more experienced DMs.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

Perhaps I'll buy it. As an "Experienced" DM I can say that books certainly give you more insight even if you have whole tome of house rules (as I do) and more than 100 books of D&D, AD&D 2nd edition, D&D 3rd edition and D&D 3.5 edition.

Perhaps means that I'll check it first. :wink:
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I think that Wizards has printed all the necessary and useful information for D&D 3.5 already, but they don't want to give up just yet. Honestly, most of the Complete series seemed like rehashes and derivative material to me, and none of the general D&D releases anymore seem to be worth picking up. Basically the only reason I see for this book is just something else to print.
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: DMG II

Post by Snake »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:Anyone else wondering why?
Money, money, and more money.

I'm semi-interested in the pre-rendered traps, towns, etc. but not enough to pay $30 or whatever it is for the book.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

New Excerpt and a designer interview. And while this book doesn't interest me all that much, I don't agree that WotC's later releases are useless. The environment books, for instance, are great, and I'm looking forwards to the next installments in the Heroes series.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

I got it last week. It has lots of fluff, and very few crunch.

I'm not sure I would have called it DMG II instead of "Campaign builder Helper", or similar title.

It introduces a new stat block format, very well thought, and more logically organized, IMHO.

Joël
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

From what I read of the book, I can tell its not well suited for newbie DMs. I think the most suited audience would be people who've DMed for a couple of years, and are looking for ways to improve their style. While the first DMG teaches you the basics of DMing, the second one offers some tips to improve the skill somewhat further. This is especially true for the first three chapters of the book. After that, it gets all new rules and player goodies.
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Don't forget the famous Greyhawk references! This book is another *hidden* attempt to bring the Flanaess back into the action!

:)
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:I got it last week. It has lots of fluff, and very few crunch. I'm not sure I would have called it DMG II instead of "Campaign builder Helper", or similar title.
Good to hear! If what you say is true, then this book might prove more useful than I was anticipating.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]