Burning the Chainmail Bikini

Discussing all roleplaying games
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Drinnik Shoehorn wrote:
ScS of the Fraternity wrote:But if they burn the chainmail bikini, they'll have to run around nude!

Excellent work!
Thanks. I hope my lecturer feels the same.

It's finished now, so if the Frat wants a copy to read to see if they want to put it up, I can send one.
We'd be happy to host it!
Evil Reigns!!!!
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

What a coincidence. Look what was just released at RPG now: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php? ... RC=EnWorld

;)
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Yattara
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Yattara »

:shock: :) :o :lol:
Have to fight, cause I know
in the end it's worthwhile,
that the pain that I feel slowly fades away.
It will be alright

Pale, Within Temptation
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

I always found that when I came up with an RPG or new rule someone (I don't know who or what) always publishes something on it before I get a chance to playtest and test it. :x
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

My completed dissertation is now up on the site (thanks guys!).

If anyone has any comments on it, I'd love to hear them. Post them here, I don't care if they're good or bad.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Anyone? No? Not interested? 10,000 words in a week and no one has read it? Fine. :);):P :D :lol:
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

Well, I started reading it when I get tired of reading ancient Celtic texts. For now, I stopped where you describe Kitiara's contrast with Laurana in the eyes of Tanis. I'm still waiting to see a chain-mail bikini ;)
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

I liked it a great deal.

Unfortunately, honestly, I think you chose a peculiar case for the feminism of fantasy in Kitiara. The first case is that she's a femme fatale and her sexuality is part of her danger honestly enough. All of her capableness and strength could be construed through the lens as aspects of her being a villainess.

In Kitiara's case, the problem is really though that she is a much more dynamic and interesting woman than any of the other characters who are women in the story. Goldemoon, Laurana, and Tika are all fairly weeping willows to some extent and Crysannia melts in the arms of Raistlin despite her being a stronger figure than the other three women combined. Kitiara lives by her own rules and loves not because she loves but on her own terms. It's why she's almost as compelling a figure and Raistlin and routinely shows up as second in popularity.

I also think you overhype Tanis Half Elven and underhype Sturm and Dalamar. Darkness and Light did show the beginning of a strong attraction between them that was born from mutual respect despite their opposites while Dalamar is probably the only man in the world who understood Kitiara.
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Willowhugger wrote:I liked it a great deal.

Unfortunately, honestly, I think you chose a peculiar case for the feminism of fantasy in Kitiara. The first case is that she's a femme fatale and her sexuality is part of her danger honestly enough. All of her capableness and strength could be construed through the lens as aspects of her being a villainess.

In Kitiara's case, the problem is really though that she is a much more dynamic and interesting woman than any of the other characters who are women in the story. Goldemoon, Laurana, and Tika are all fairly weeping willows to some extent and Crysannia melts in the arms of Raistlin despite her being a stronger figure than the other three women combined. Kitiara lives by her own rules and loves not because she loves but on her own terms. It's why she's almost as compelling a figure and Raistlin and routinely shows up as second in popularity.

I also think you overhype Tanis Half Elven and underhype Sturm and Dalamar. Darkness and Light did show the beginning of a strong attraction between them that was born from mutual respect despite their opposites while Dalamar is probably the only man in the world who understood Kitiara.
But like I said, I ignored Darkness and Light because it isn't written by Margaret Weis. I was dealing with Weis' Kit, nobody elses. I choose Kit mainly because she is a fully rounded character, unlike alot of fantasy women. She has three dimensions to her character, unlike Tika who is really only a two-dimensional character at best and is inserted to simply be Caramon's love interest. I agree with your statement about Dalamar, but have to disagree with your statement about Sturm. Weis' Kit only seduced Sturm to show him the hollowness of his honour, and to hurt Tanis.

Tanis is the most important relationship in Kitiara's life. All men pale compared to him because, and this is critical, Kitiara LOVES Tanis, she has never loved anyone else.

Unfortunately, that particular essay was failed for lack of critical information. Be prepared for the new, improved version in a couple of months, with added Granny Weatherwaxian goodness. I really am disappointed with the Granny section. It's too rushed.
Willowhugger
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Willowhugger »

Ironically, I think you overestimate the importance of Tanis in Kitiara's life. The Soulforge and the Brothers in Arms show her miss Tanis but completely lack any respect for the man. Darkness and Light will also be referenced in Dark Disciple 2 where we'll see Kitiara "Flashback" to Sturm. So I guess we'll find out her feelings then.

Largely, Kitiara I can't think of 'loving' tanis because Tanis never remotely considered her feelings or opinions on virtually anything. Their relationship was built on being warriors and pleasures. While he tried to temper her mercenary habits, I don't honestly think he ever thought of her feelings and by proxy Kitiara's own understanding of Tanis was severely lacking.

In sturm's case, she knew what he was thinking.

I'm sorry about your failure. I think some definite introductions might have been necessary (I'm a Graduate Student of Literature) and also the lack of assumption of derision without quotes but it was enjoyable to read.