CRs

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

CRs

Post by Shadowsworn »

The DMG (3.0, it may have been corrected in 3.5) doesn't ever state how you calculate CRs for monsters you've created. Is there any definitive way to calculate CRs besides playtesting that you've come up with?
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Not definitive, no.
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

Playtesting is the only one. Any other way of calculating CRs proves faulty in one way or other. With all the flexibility offered by DnD you can never tell the CR of a new creature without involving human judgement at some point. The trick is not in what abilities the monster possesses, but how well those abilities perform when put together.
alhoon
Invisible Menace
Invisible Menace

Post by alhoon »

I agree with Igor. While I have a system to calculate CR, it is always a matter of judgement.
While the calculation may result in "CR 4" The result may be 3 or 5... Or sometimes 6.

And as my players always comment, I tend to overestimate a character's power (or a player's creativity) and underestimate a creature. :roll:

Since I mostly create monsters instead of picking them out (except when I don't have time, like in random encounters) I can tell you that not even playtesting is always correct.

What it may be a CR 7 for a certain party, it may be CR 5 for another party. Example:

Flesh Golem vs: 2 wizards, a cleric and a rogue (7th level) and the same flesh Golem vs 2 fighters, a ranger (Archer) and a cleric.
Cleric casts magic weapon on whatever weapon isn't magical (or Bull's strength or prayer etc) as the golem approaches (can't run, while the characters can, so they easily get 1 -2 rounds to repare) and then the fighters hack it appart easily. The DR 5/adamantine isn't that much)
"You truly see what a person is made of, when you begin to slice into them" - Semirhage
"I am not mad, no matter what you're implying." - Litalia
My DMGuild work!
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

In the October 2000 (I think) issue of Dragon Magazine, there was an article called 'How to Create a Monster'. At the end it had a CR "guesstimater" and I have found this article very useful for creating monsters and calculating CRs fairly accurately, but it still helps to playtest.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

Of course...EL is a whole other can of worms.

I tend to handle experience that way.

Is the monster getting the jump on the party etc etc...