Reality wrinkles and pocket domains

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Reality wrinkles and pocket domains

Post by Dominique »

If this is covered anywhere in Van Richten's Guide to Fiends or some other supplement, I'm sorry for wasting anyone's time, but I sure as heck couldn't find it anywhere . . . :wink:

What happens if a fiend goes into a pocket domain that's smaller than its reality wrinkle? Since the wrinkle acts as sort of a mini-domain, would the fiend temporarily cancel the existence of the pocket domain, or would the pocket domain just undergo a huge change in basic tone? I assume the DL would still be stuck in the confines of the pocket domain, but s/he would be in some serious discomfort . . .
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

That's a good question - I'm not sure it is covered.

I think you have the best idea, with the domain undergoing a massive change. In the past, weak darklords have been superceded and sometimes even ejected - ex: Doctor Dominai
The presense of a fiend, a being of alien evil - should dominate a pocket domain smaller than its wrinkle.

Now, a lord of an Island of Terror is a different story - since their evil and influence is so much more powerful.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jasper
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jasper »

IIRc the whole reality wrinkle/domain powers/corruption index was a addium only included in VR Condemdium 3.

As for the question-

I would say the fiend sort of "floats" over the pocket, pushing it out of the way unless actively trying to enter. For Ex: A fiend entering the same house that the phantom lovers room apears in would force the room to shift back to the Lovers tower unless he/she actively causes the room to ancor itself stunting the DL powers. However as the Dl has full power over its domain I would allow a battle of wills to allow the DL to make the domain "flee" from the fiend.
"Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish it's source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings."
Anais Nin
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Here's a thought, what if a fiend's wrinkle actually increases the total volume of the domain - like dropping an icecube into a drink of water. The domain envelops the wrinkle, actually increasing in size. Just like in the icecube example, there is a border, but that border is fluid - a point of intermix between the fiendish aura and the domain.
The resulting conflict between the fiend and the domainlord would strengthen the victor - whoever defeats the other gains control of the entire, enlarged pocket domain.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Re: Reality wrinkles and pocket domains

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Dominique wrote:If this is covered anywhere in Van Richten's Guide to Fiends or some other supplement
I would agree with Stephen in that I don't think that this was ever covered in one of the guides and/or supplements. It might have been touched upon in the Ask Azalin thread over at the Secrets of the Kargatane, but I don't recall the specific answer from that.

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:what if a fiend's wrinkle actually increases the total volume of the domain - like dropping an icecube into a drink of water.
Hmm... I really like this idea and analogy.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

ScS of the Fraternity wrote:Here's a thought, what if a fiend's wrinkle actually increases the total volume of the domain - like dropping an icecube into a drink of water. T
I have a sudden mental image of a fiend sitting pretty in the House of Lament while a very confused Mara only has control of the surrounding grounds . . .

Very interesting thought, though.
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Myself, I think I'd say "domain border trumps reality wrinkle" and have the fiend's reality wrinkle extend only to the domain border.

Within the domain, the reality wrinkle would be intensified proportionately to the amount of "wrinkle" packed into it--making certain nightmarish places (Juste's theater, the House of Lament, Aggarath (!)) eversomuch more so...
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

Jasper o' nine liv wrote:IIRc the whole reality wrinkle/domain powers/corruption index was a addium only included in VR Condemdium 3.
FWIW, all three concepts were present in the original VRGtF.

I don't see any change from how it's presented in RL3E; darklord powers don't work in the reality wrinkle. By extension, a fiend in a pocket domain could render the DL unable to use any DL powers for as long as it stayed.

Edit: I just got a nasty image of the GC hijacking the Phantom Lover's domain. I mean, don't tell me those two haven't crossed paths before, considering the circles they walk in.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home