New domain on the core?

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

I liked g'henna moving out of the core. The starvation theme didn't really work well when it was right next door to Falkovnia, the breadbasket of the Core. If you moved it back, I would put it out to sea, with dangerous shoals preventing shipments of food getting in.

Is Sourange really on 6 miles across? I thought I read somewhere it was half the size of the core?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Souragne is tiny, Vorostokov and Sanguinia on the other hand, those p[laces are HUGE. Also, if you look at the map in The Evil Eye, is has Invidia at a scale that would make it about the size of the southern core, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Hashmalum
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Hashmalum »

G'henna's starvation is the result of political causes, not natural causes. It's the North Korea of Ravenloft (a country that is starving because it is misruled by an evil lunatic). You could put it absolutely anywhere and the domain's problems would remain exactly the same. No need to change what isn't broken.
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Huh. That would explain why I've always thought it should be in the Core, then. Curse my failing memory! :roll:
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Dominique wrote:Huh. That would explain why I've always thought it should be in the Core, then. Curse my failing memory! :roll:
Dominique, have you been hanging around Dominic, or have you been making one too many trips to Darkon?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

Hmmm... but what about Shay-lot? It'll be featured in Gaz 7, right?
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Hmmm... but what about Shay-lot? It'll be featured in Gaz 7, right?
*sense motive*

failed, drats...

Why do you ask that?
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Dominique wrote:Huh. That would explain why I've always thought it should be in the Core, then. Curse my failing memory! :roll:
Either that or you have been having afternoon tea with Azalin for far to long, time to come back from that vacation before you start to believe you really are Darkonese ;)
Swallow your soul!
Dominique
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dominique »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote: Either that or you have been having afternoon tea with Azalin for far to long, time to come back from that vacation before you start to believe you really are Darkonese ;)
I don't know what you're talking about. I've lived in Darkon all my life. Look, see? My family's buried here and everything! Granted, you can't read the names anymore because the tombstones are so weathered, but it's them all right . . .
"I'd really love a cup of tea, but it would be, like, blood or death or evil or something."
~Matteo Brazi, Borcan thief, Day 3 of Bleak House
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Dominique wrote:I don't know what you're talking about. I've lived in Darkon all my life. Look, see? My family's buried here and everything! Granted, you can't read the names anymore because the tombstones are so weathered, but it's them all right . . .
BTW, you have won an all expenses paid holiday on the coast of Nova vaasa, your coach leaves in 1 hour. Happy Holidays :)

lol.
Swallow your soul!
Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Faust »

Dion of the Fraternity wrote:Hmmm... but what about Shay-lot? It'll be featured in Gaz 7, right?
pleaseeeeeee somebody tell me what is shay-lot!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

From the top of my head, so I may be off on some details: The Shay-lot is a race of undersea creatures roughly analogous to Lovecraft's great old ones. The Hilda Borganov adventure in CoTN:Werebeasts introduced them. Hilda was a cult leader worshipping them in a coastal town in Darkon(?). As a reward for her worship, she became a were-ray.

I think Dion is guessing that Gaz VI will be the Sea of Sorrows, and Gaz VII will be the Nocturnal Sea, which includes the Shay-lot (perhaps with their own undersea domain.) But I thought the Dark Duo said Gaz VI (if it's ever made) would be both Seas... Of course, I may be misremembering...
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

gonzoron wrote:From the top of my head, so I may be off on some details: The Shay-lot is a race of undersea creatures roughly analogous to Lovecraft's great old ones. The Hilda Borganov adventure in CoTN:Werebeasts introduced them. Hilda was a cult leader worshipping them in a coastal town in Darkon(?). As a reward for her worship, she became a were-ray.

I think Dion is guessing that Gaz VI will be the Sea of Sorrows, and Gaz VII will be the Nocturnal Sea, which includes the Shay-lot (perhaps with their own undersea domain.) But I thought the Dark Duo said Gaz VI (if it's ever made) would be both Seas... Of course, I may be misremembering...
Hilda was a natural wereray, she simply stumbled upon the Shaylots' ruined city when she escaped the hunters/adventurers that exterminated her school.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

The plan was for one sea a book, but really -at this point in the game- we'll be lucky if we see another Gaz. I'm hopefully we get one for each sea but they'll most likely be crammed together. That's 11 NPCs (at least) for the 8 islands, two seas and Vechor. Not likely all that can be crammed in there...

So with scale relative and subjective what about the Amber Wastes tucked away on a second continent? Or the Steaming Lands somewhere to the south...
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Thanks for the correction on Hilda. Frankly, I'm surprised I remembered as much as I did. I wasn't real fond of that adventure.

I don't think both seas in one book is a stretch. Gaz I has 9 NPCs in the back, so does Gaz II. Gaz III has only 6, oddly. Gaz IV has 8. Gaz V has 8 (11 if you count the Hags and Malken separately)

Especially considering most of the islands are quite small and have very little on them. (Unless they add some, I count 9 towns in the seas. There's more than that in Darkon alone!)

Of course, IMHO, the faster they get to the clusters, the better, so I hope for only one. I almost wouldn't mind skipping the seas entirely.