New prestige class: Devildriver

Discussing all roleplaying games
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

New prestige class: Devildriver

Post by Mad Skipper »

The other day I was watching a program on exorcism, got caught up in the concept, and I began to chow down. I began to digest it. And after awhile I puked the idea found below. It's a prestige class of an old religious mindset, only a little more driven.

The actual written history is in the works, as it currently resides in the mess that's my head, but I will post it as soon as I write it. All I will say now is that this prestige class is meant to be a cleric within a monk's physical capacity, who posesses a focused, almost barbaric aggression. Or to get a better understanding you can just take a shortcut to Class Features found below.

That said, this is version one.

If you want to check my math, then please do so. If you got a more interesting variation of the concepts below, then please drop it. If you think it's anti-Ravenloft, then tell me why and how I can make it fit.

In short, please, say what thou wilt.

No worries with me...

DEVILDRIVER

Hit Die: d10.

Requirements

To qualify to become a Devildriver (Ddr), a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Alignment: Any good.
Knowledge (the planes): 7 ranks.
Knowledge (religion): 10 ranks.
Feats: Blessed, Fists of Iron (Sword and Fist), Ghostsight, Improved Grapple (Oriental Adventures), Improved Unarmed Strike.

Devildriver

Level 1
Base Attack bonus +1
Fort Save +2
Ref Save 0
Will Save +2
Special: Soulstare, Wreak, Fists of Agony (1d8)

Level 2
Base Attack bonus +2
Fort Save +3
Ref Save 0
Will Save +3
Special: Devil's Hide (DR 2), Resist Possession, Bonus Feat

Level 3
Base Attack Bonus +3
Fort Save +2
Ref Save +1
Will Save +3
Special: Dispel Evil 1/week, Hand of Doom

Level 4
Base Attack Bonus +4
Fort Save +3
Ref Save +1
Will Save +4
Special: Devil's Hide (DR 4), Fists of Agony (1d10), Bonus Feat

Level 5
Base Attack Bonus +5
Fort Save +3
Ref Save +1
Will Save +4
Special: Turn Undead

Level 6
Base Attack Bonus +6
Fort Save +2
Ref Save +2
Will Save +5
Special: Devil's Hide (DR 6), Dispel Evil 2/week, Hand of Doom, Bonus Feat

Level 7
Base Attack Bonus +7
Fort Save +3
Ref Save +2
Will Save +5
Special: Consecrated Presence

Level 8
Base Attack Bonus +8
Fort Save +3
Ref Save +2
Will Save +6
Special: Devil's Hide (DR 8), Fists of Agony (1d12), Bonus Feat

Level 9
Base Attack Bonus +9
Fort Save +2
Ref Save +3
Will Save +6
Special: Dispel Evil 3/week, Hand of Doom

Level 10
Base Attack Bonus +10
Fort Save +3
Ref Save +3
Will Save +7
Special: Devil's Hide (DR 10), Bonus Feat

Class Skills

The devildriver's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Str), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Tumble (Dex). See Chapter 4: Skills in the Player's Handbook for skill descriptions.

Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the devildriver prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Devildrivers are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or with shields, but they do carry these proficiencies over from their previous class.

Soulstare (Su): This ability allows the devildriver to see inside one's soul, more specifically, to detect foreign entities. For all intents and purposes this ability is identical to the spell true seeing, with the exception that it only works on those actually possessed by foreign entities.

Wreak (Su): This is the devildriver's ability to tear evil spirits from their host's bodies with their bare hands. On a successful grapple check, the devildriver plunges their hand into the host and severs the unholy link between evil spirit and the host, usually by violently flinging it away so that they may turn and engage the evil spirit in savage hand to hand combat. The possessing entity's opposing check is limited to that of its host's abilities. The host is not harmed during this process.

Fists of Agony (Ex): The devildriver's unarmed attack is one that is especially painful to evil outsiders, Negative Energy Plane creatures, and the undead. So much so, that it bypasses all DR! At levels 1-3 this base damage is 1d8, at levels 4-7 this base damage is 1d10, and at levels 8-10 this base damage is 1d12. These bonuses only apply when the devildriver is brawling with evil outsiders, Negative Energy Plane creatures, and the undead.

Devil's Hide (Ex): The devildriver's skin is extremely tough, granting it damage reduction. At 2nd level their skin has DR 2, at 4th level it has DR 4, at 6th level it has DR 6, at 8th level it has DR 8, and at 10th level it has DR 10. This DR only applies when the devildriver is brawling with evil outsiders, Negative Energy Plane creatures, and the undead.

Resist Possession (Ex): Devildrivers receive a +4 sacred bonus on their saving throws against magic jar spells or similar abilities, such as a ghost's malevolence ability, and a +2 sacred bonus on dispel checks made to dispel these types of effects. They also receive a +2 sacred bonus on their saving throws against all charm and compulsion spells and effects cast by evil outsiders and undead.

Bonus Feat: The devildriver gains an additional bonus feat at 2nd level and every two levels thereafter, just like the Fighter. See Chapter 3: Classes in the Player's Handbook. These feats can only be those that are hand-to-hand based(*).

*Note: My books are limited in number, so this should be enough info for those who possess more than I. If the feat can't be tied in to hand-to-hand combat, then the devildriver can't take the feat.

Dispel Evil (Sp): At 3rd level the devildriver gains the ability to use dispel evil as a spell-like ability once per week. At 6th level they can use this ability twice per week, and at 9th level they can use this ability three times per week.

Hand of Doom (Ex): Constant physical contact with creatures of uncomprehensible evil is not without its price: over time, the devildriver's wreaking hand begins to show signs of those banished creature's evil taint. At level 3, the devildriver's fingernails are permanently tainted black. At level 6, black tendril-like veins mar the devildriver's hand. At level 9, the devildriver's entire hand has turned an evil black, and the taint is beginning to branch out and up their arm. Every time the Hand of Doom special ability is gained, the devildriver receives a +1 Outcast Rating, as well as -1 to their Constitution score. Battling such evil fiends is extremely draining on the body and soul...

Turn Undead (Su): Devildrivers can turn undead as paladins do. This ability can be used a number of times per day equal to three plus the devildriver's Charisma modifier. They turn undead as a cleric of two levels lower.

Consecrated Presence (Su): Starting at 7th level, a devildriver is surrounded by an aura of positive energy that extends 20 feet from their presence. This aura is identical to the effects of the consecrate spell, but it moves with the devildriver. See chapter 3: Altered Magic in the Ravenloft Core Rulebook for further explanation of using the consecrate spell.
Last edited by Mad Skipper on Tue Feb 08, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Interesting exorcist.

Considering there are not that many fiends in RL, do you need a 10 level PRC? would a 5th level do the job?

Joël
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Not only fiends, but evil spirits as well.

Animator, Corpse Candle, Dream Spawn, Dreamweaver, Odem, Tenebris...to name those creatures found in Denizens of Darkness.

Also, all a devildriver really needs is one fiend to give them purpose and constant life-long battle. Either the devildriver physically demolishes the fiend and scatters its essence across the core, or do the same via dismissal. Needless to say, both parties will be looking forward to the next encounter, I'm sure. Assuming the devildriver survives the first encounter with the fiend...

I'll tinker with your idea though, see what that looks like.

Thanks.
Last edited by Mad Skipper on Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Can the Devil Driver also break mental holds some monsters and undead have over victims, ala vampire's charm gaze, or a mindflayer's telepathic powers?
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

While we're discussing priests and turning, I have 1 question for you all.

Don't you think that priests should be able to turn Fiends as well as undead from first level? Afterall, historically priests faced the devil more often than any undead in the mind of people.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
ScS of the Fraternity

Post by ScS of the Fraternity »

Indeed, it definitly sounds like something they should have been able to do. Sadly, this looks like the limitations of 2nd edition have struck again.

As I recall, the rules for 2nd edition turning were very limited. Each species of undead had their own special number that the turning attempt had to beat, thus it was impractical to expand turning to demons since that would have almost doubled the number of numbers the books had to chart and DMs had to memorize.

Of course, now in 3rd edition turning is HD dependant, so it would have been so much easier to expand turning, though I guess no one gave it some serious thought.

Still, it makes sense - if an evil cleric can turn paladins, then surely clerics should be able to turn outsiders of opposite alignment. Certainly it would be an easy house rule to incorporate - since turning is now a matter of hit dice.
Evil Reigns!!!!
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Gemathustra wrote:Can the Devil Driver also break mental holds some monsters and undead have over victims, ala vampire's charm gaze, or a mindflayer's telepathic powers?
I'd say no. A devildriver exists to combat the actual entity, outside of it's current host, not neccessarily their individual forms of attack.

In a typical devildriver's opinion--formed in part by strict religious teaching--it's the other priests and priestesses primary duty to look after the reparation and maintenance of souls...they're too busy getting psyched for the next battle (or healing from the last wreak!).

If the whole of the entities' consciousness isn't held within the host, then the devildriver isn't the right "tool" for the job, unless they have the appropriate spells prepared through another class that will allow them to counter such things as a vampire's charm SA.

Because a mindflayer's consciousness is the embodiment of it's psionic abilities, I'd allow a devildriver its wreaking class feature to actually tear the mindflayer's consciousness from its victim, thus ending the mindflayer's psionic assault, but I wouldn't allow the devildriver's Fists of Agony or Devil's Hide features for the fact that a mindflayer doesn't fall within the devildriver's specialty or purpose.

If they're going to tangle with mindflayers then they better have a couple of good hands to help out, and some skill with a weapon other than their fists!
Last edited by Mad Skipper on Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

So, to put it in puppet analogy...
Those monsters who control their victims in the manner of sock-puppets, like, say, doppelganger plants, undead, or spellcasters with the ability to use the spell Magic Jar, are fair game for the DevilDrivers, as they have a large and potentially vulnerable chunk of their own spirit/life force invested into their thrall(s), yes?
Whereas those monsters who control their victims as though they were marionettes, ala a vampire's charm gaze, are not, as they do not invest a portion of their own spirit/life force into their victims, yes?

I only ask, out of curiosity.
I'm working on a vampire sorceror who can speak through her charmed thralls.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

So, to put it in puppet analogy...
Those monsters who control their victims in the manner of sock-puppets, like, say, doppelganger plants, undead, or spellcasters with the ability to use the spell Magic Jar, are fair game for the DevilDrivers, as they have a large and potentially vulnerable chunk of their own spirit/life force invested into their thrall(s), yes?
Whereas those monsters who control their victims as though they were marionettes, ala a vampire's charm gaze, are not, as they do not invest a portion of their own spirit/life force into their victims, yes?

When talking about the devildriver prestige class and abilities, Wreak specifically, yes.
Last edited by Mad Skipper on Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Anybody else think I should put a limit on the number of times in a day (or week) a devildriver can use Soulstare, and maybe even Wreak?
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

Mad Skipper wrote:Anybody else think I should put a limit on the number of times in a day (or week) a devildriver can use Soulstare, and maybe even Wreak?
I would make the Devildriver make a Concentration check to have the Soulstare ability to detect foreign entities. The DC could be the combined HD of the master fiend and the victim. If the Devildriver fails this check, it shows that the fiend has adequetly hidden itself from the Devildriver for 24 hours.
Mad Skipper wrote:The possessing entity's opposing check is limited to that of its host's abilities
Could you clarify this?

Also, I would make this class be able to freely multiclass with monks but that is merely my opinion.

BTW I think this class is pretty cool and I am waiting for it to finish so that I can put one in my campaign as I have some famous fiends making appearances. Great Work!
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Stygian Inquirer wrote:
Mad Skipper wrote:The possessing entity's opposing check is limited to that of its host's abilities
Could you clarify this?
I assume it means that the grapple check is made against the modifier of the host, not the possessor - a Dretch and a Balor possessing a human commoner with 12 strength would both get only a +1 to the grapple check, despite their respective grapple modifiers of -1 and +36.

And Mad Skipper, very cool PrC. One of my players would be very interested in it.
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Stygian Inquirer
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Stygian Inquirer »

Malus Black wrote:
Stygian Inquirer wrote:
Could you clarify this?
I assume it means that the grapple check is made against the modifier of the host, not the possessor - a Dretch and a Balor possessing a human commoner with 12 strength would both get only a +1 to the grapple check, despite their respective grapple modifiers of -1 and +36.
Thanks Malus, for this insight.
Information seems to come my way whether by chance or by fate, but all this means, is that I have yet to find out what will kill me and why. - The Stygian Inquirer
Mad Skipper
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Mad Skipper »

Stygian Inquirer wrote:I am waiting for it to finish
I'm in the process of moving right now, February 25 being the possession date (no pun intended), and anytime now my internet and cable will be cancelled. Should be today actually...

Short point, it might be about month before I can post the history and background of this class. Gives me quite a bit of extraction time I guess.

And as to the question about "The possessing entity's opposing check is limited to that of its host's abilities", Malus' answer is my answer. Thanks Malus.

When talking template changes such as those found in the fiend's transposition process, the fiend's abilities and subsequent checks are that of the host's plus the template's modifiers, as you've probably already gathered.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Re: New prestige class: Devildriver

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Pretty good, but there are a few things I would like to raise.

Firstly, how many skill points does the charater gain when he/she goes up a level in the PrC?
Mad Skipper wrote:Fists of Agony (Ex): The devildriver's unarmed attack is one that is especially painful to evil outsiders, Negative Energy Plane creatures, and the undead. So much so, that it bypasses all DR! At levels 1-3 this damage is 1d6, at levels 4-7 this damage is 1d10, and at levels 8-10 this damage is 1d10x2. These bonuses only apply when the devildriver is brawling with evil outsiders, Negative Energy Plane creatures, and the undead.
I feel this is far to powerful, not even a Paladin has this much power when he gains the Smite Undead ability. I would reduce this ability in strength. Possibly to somethings like a set damage bous when they gain the ability (or a more powerful level in it). Perhaps a damage bonus equal to their Devildiver class level?
Extra Turning: At 4th, 7th, and 10th level, a devildriver gains Extra Turning as a bonus feat. Each time a devildriver gains this feat they add four to the number of turning attempts they can make per day, as explained in Chapter 3: Classes in the Player's Handbook.
Do they really need this many Turn Undead attempts? I think it is a little over the top.

Another idea is that at 10th level, the devildiver becomes partly Outsider himself, thus gaining a weak Reality Wrinkle of his own. This would be a quirky twist with that having battled against undead, outsiders and so on for so long, they have actually partly become something that they hate ;) Their own path and means has corrupted them
Swallow your soul!