Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Reading VRGttM yesterday, I had the idea to mix the mechanics of searching a library with the one of gaining spells. The largest the library available, and time spent, the better the choice of spells.

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Joël of the FoS

After a long time, sorry for the delay, sessions 13 and 14 of my campaign are online in the Veranda

Session 13 finishes the Ashington Manor mini adventure (you might want to reread session 12 as well b4).

Session 14 is mainly happening during a ball at Misericordia.

Please comment, if any, as susual!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Great as always, Joel. I loved the Borcan intriugue, and the great use of stuff from LotB. When you see my next journal (halfway done!), you will see lots of similarities. It's pretty funny that we both referenced Vetighetto, de Penible, and Vedarrak at our balls. If LotB had been released 2 years ago I'm sure I'd have used some of the Boristi's as well.

Great work with the Jongleur picture, by the way. Creepy.

Did you have trouble with your players keeping all the Boritsi's straight? I count at least 5. Must have been confusing. (but cool.)

I agree with your choice of Jennifer Connely for Ivana. I've so far avoided photos for NPC's, but that photo might make me change my mind.

Very nice job of conveying the feel of Borca. It's something I have had trouble with in the past.
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Grrrr! I can't seem to access your campaign journals, Joel. Are the Veranda links broken? Or am I just not doing something correctly?
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Joël of the FoS

Yes, I'm aware the link to session 1-12 is broken. I asked Stephen to fix it. I'll let you know when it is back!

Ron, thanks for the comments. Yes, it is indeed fun we have similar ways to make things happen for our players :)
gonzoron wrote:Did you have trouble with your players keeping all the Boritsi's straight? I count at least 5. Must have been confusing. (but cool.)
Well, at one point, they asked someone to make a family tree with the Boritsis they knew. It is then they realized Ivana is quite old...

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Link is fixed, sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for telling me.

Thanks to Stephen for fixing it!

Joël
Rotipher of the FoS
Thieving Crow
Thieving Crow

Post by Rotipher of the FoS »

Thanks to Stephen and to you, Joel! Talena's book is really cool, plus it gives her something else in common with Strahd (who's been writing the same book for 400+ years, after all :wink: ).

So, when's she going to design a board game? 8)
"Who [u]cares[/u] what the Dark Powers are? They're [i]bastards![/i] That's all I need to know of them." -- Crow
Joël of the FoS

Rotipher wrote:Thanks to Stephen and to you, Joel! Talena's book is really cool, plus it gives her something else in common with Strahd (who's been writing the same book for 400+ years, after all :wink: ).
As you will see later, this familly tree book is also an item actively searching for lost Von Zarovich. Strahd may not care this much about his bloodline, but Talena has the mandate by Strahd to keep track of them. The players burned the book in a recent session.

In Misericordia, Talena also discovered something very interesting: one of the players is from a Gundar noble familly line everybody thought ended. That led to great roleplay and twists. And future hooks as well :)
So, when's she going to design a board game? 8)
*lol*
Joël of the FoS

Session 15 and 16 are online: http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/TheV ... _15-16.doc

Session 15: the PCs travel to meet Gennifer WF, who was ousted from a ball at Misericordia by Ivana (see session 14). Nightmares are realy starting to plague one of the PC and Tara.

Session 16: starts with a long trip from Richemulot to Mordent, with huge problems in Falkovnia (a PC is an halfling, another an elf). But they finally make it to Mordent, where they meet Van Richten in person. They discuss the Nightmares and their sponsors :)

Comments welcomed!

Joël
The Giamarga
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Giamarga »

The link to 1-14 is still/again broken for me...
Joël of the FoS

The Giamarga wrote:The link to 1-14 is still/again broken for me...
It's fixed now. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Nice!

I really like the culmination of the Nightmare Court plot, and the continuing intra-party conflict over Varadan's ancestry. And the checkbox for "impaled" on the falkovnian form is hysterical.

Any interesting plans for Mordentshire?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

gonzoron wrote:Nice!

I really like the culmination of the Nightmare Court plot, and the continuing intra-party conflict over Varadan's ancestry. And the checkbox for "impaled" on the falkovnian form is hysterical.?
I had a lot of fun designing the trip through Falkovnia. I really didn't guess they would have continued through even with all those hints that non humans are not welcomed. But players have this fun habit of doing the unexpected :)

Yes, the "empaled" checkbox was a Ravenloft nerd joke that I was sure would be appreciated here :)
Any interesting plans for Mordentshire?
In the pipeline for next game is a battle with the Nighmare Court's ballerina for Tara and a PC's sanity. Hopefully they will get rid of her influence. I plan to combine both nightmares into one for the final battle, as it was wisely suggested on this board.

When it is done, I might change the pace and move them through Howls in the Night. I'll probably make the choice #4 for possibilities (none of Weston or the lady is evil), and will tie in this the new background info for Godefroy (i.e. that his estate is a magnet for ghosts). The ghost lady in HitN will fear getting sucked into this trap.

Then, I don't know. Since they are near a port I'd like to move them to an island, possibly Souragne ;) Or perhaps the Wailing Sorrow adventure? Or Bleak House? Or a VRGttMists inspired trek?

Joël
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi joel,
Just finished reading your campaign journals and i must say, they are very good. I like the way you enter a lot more of the fantasy setting into ravenloft. The prophetic dreams of both Varadan and Tara, the involvement of the nightmare court, great.

I always wanted to involve them in some way, but never really found a way to insert them in my campaign.

The check box for impaling was really a very good touch. Over here most people have a smattering of german and would have guessed what it meant, so they would definitly not have continued, wonderful that your players did.

keep it up

jennifer
Last edited by Jennifer on Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joël of the FoS

Hey Jennifer :)

Thanks for the comments. I really have fun DMing this session and I also love to bring back these journals to the attention of fellow DMs. I hope it is at least have as fun as reading yours (any restart soon on your side?).

Joël