Joël's campaign (now: Har'Akir desert arc!)

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Thanks for the comments.

They will find more and more info on the MS as they carry on this adventure!

Their first impression: a sadic killer.
Then this "sad childhood" dream made him ( ;) ) more sympathetic, even if he is still dangerous.

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

Yeah, what I mean is, the cut scene does a good job to explain his motivations, but how are the PC's dreaming them? Are the vistani sending the dreams? The Nightmare Court? The DP's? The Slasher himself with some wild talent?
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Oh, sorry. For the moment, they think it's simply the ways of the world to experience that kind of visions ;)

In future sessions however, the Nightmare Court should play the game, but with their own rules!

Jo
Joël of the FoS

gonzoron wrote: I think it's important to establish Mallochio's power over animals. As written, the only time I think it comes up is with the cart incident at the docks.
In latter session, Maloccio sends them a flock of raven :)

Joël
jamesravenwing
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by jamesravenwing »

I am really enjoying your campaign. It is fast paced and well written enough to be really entertaining.

Keep up the good work. I can't wait for the next session.
"His eyes had all the seeming of a demon that was dreaming..."

"Let me also wear
Such deliberate disguises
Rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves"
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:In latter session, Maloccio sends them a flock of raven :)

Joël
Huzzah! :)
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Joël of the FoS

Ladies and gent, the journal session # 8 is out there for you to read.

This time, we are thrown in the middle of the Dog Fights in Evil Eye. I'm quite proud of this session, all worked smoothly.

Please comments, if you have any!

Joël
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi Joel,
I thought the scenes at the dog fights were very scary and claustrofobic. the small room filled with people getting more and more worked up. Working up to a nice climax with the killing of a man and the suggestion of werewolves.

Then the fire to chase them all out. it must have been one of the more intense scenes.

well done.

jennifer
Joël of the FoS

Sessions 9 and 10 of my campaign are now out there. Thanks to Drinnik for scrubbing these for English.

Session 9 was an attempt from the players to kill Nathan Timothy, so they could help Varadan and Virevan, suspected afflicted lycanthropes.

Session 10 is the near end of Evil Eye, when the heroes enter Haptmeyer Estate, where Gabrielle is kept prisoner by her son.

As usual, please comment and say what you like / dislike.

Joël
Drinnik Shoehorn
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Drinnik Shoehorn »

I make no apologies for using British (i.e Proper) English spelling.
"Blood once flowed, a choice was made
Travel by night the smallest one bade" The Ballad of the Taverners.
The Galen Saga: 2000-2005
Jennifer
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Jennifer »

Hi all,
i just read sessions 9 & 10 and enjoyed these as well. The tempo keeps up and there is some new problem to confront the party everytime they turn around. very nice.

This inspired me to make some work of my campaign sessions as well. The group does not play at the moment due to the summer holidays, so i have no excuse at all to let the campaign journals slide.

jennifer
Joël of the FoS

Thanks for the good comments. I think a well made campaign journal is one of the best tool a DM can have. You keep track of most of what's been said, to whom, and when.

I accompany this journal with a list of NPC, with the journal page where they appear meaningfully.

I also send this journal to my players, after I have erased most of the "DM notes".

Joël
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Always great to see more campaign journals. I especially love seeing how different DM's and different players attack the same stories.

I laughed at them filling in the Kargatane on the Aderre's too. So that's how Azalin first found out about Mal's powers. It's all your PCs' fault. :)

Regarding Gabrielle's comment about Falkovnia at the climax, if I'm not mistaken, you may have borrowed that from my Evil Eye journal. (If so, you're welcome to it. If not, no worries, but I'm curious what you meant by it.) In my case, I added that bit* to hint at the danger Mallocchio posed. As the module is written, IIRC, the players have no way of knowing about his power to bring darklords across domain borders. I speculated that to demonstrate his power to his mother, he brought her to Falkovnia to meet her father personally. (I assume his Sight told him that he had this ability.) She knows that's "not possible" and it scared the heck out of her, serving as the last straw that snapped her mind.

(I also had Madame Eva expound a bit on this power at the end, since my PC's were just starting to get an inkling about Darklords in general, so the fact that a powerful evil witch got taken to Falkovnia didn't mean much by itself .)

If you notice, in my next session I followed up on this by letting the PC's find out about a recent earthquake in Falkovnia. I figured that the shock to the fabric of the demiplane caused by forcing two darklords into the same domain would cause similar symptoms to the Great Upheaval. (and since I put my campaign post-Conjunction this served as a little introduction to the lord/land connection concept for the PC's.)

* At least I think I added it. If it was in the original module, I'm hallucinating and forgetting what parts of the module I changed when I ran it.
Joël of the FoS

gonzoron wrote:I laughed at them filling in the Kargatane on the Aderre's too. So that's how Azalin first found out about Mal's powers. It's all your PCs' fault. :)
Yes, that part was indeed quite funny :) They trust this Keith de Lalune so much! This caracter is indeed a fun bad guy to roleplay. I wrote him for the USS 02 but has started using him in my campaign only this year. He's a bad guy we almost feel sorry for :)
gonzoron wrote:Regarding Gabrielle's comment about Falkovnia at the climax, if I'm not mistaken, you may have borrowed that from my Evil Eye journal. (If so, you're welcome to it. If not, no worries, but I'm curious what you meant by it.)
Looking at my notes, the original adventure and your journal, I'd say yes, indeed, I borrowed it from you! :) I read your journal and Stu's before planning this part. I'm surprised I didn't say so, as for the "bear gone crazy" bit I also borrowed from your journal.

The meaning of "you took me to Falkovnia" it in my campaign? I just made it an insane and confused Gabrielle saying something her mother would say (i.e. Gabrielle's mother was a slave in Falkovnia, and was pregnant with Gabrielle when she escaped). The player understood she was talking as if she was her mother, and thus enforced the "she lost her marbles" idea.

Your explanation for your campaign is also very interesting!

Joël
Joël of the FoS

Here we go with part 11 :)

In it, you'll read about the end of Evil Eye and the lifting of Leyla's curse on the PCs, as well as the PC named Petrak converted giogoto by Raul.

It continues with the PC reading the infamous "Von Zarovich Legacy" (handwritten by Talena Von Zarovich, but annotated by Gabrielle) ... see appendix of session 11. It's in French, but with the DM's notes you should be able to guess what it is about.

Then it is full moon ... a bad day for afflicted werewolves

... and then bad dreams starts ...

Comments are welcome, of course!

Joël
"A full set of (game) rules is so massively complicated that the only time they were all bound together in a single volume, they underwent gravitational collapse and became a black hole" (Adams)