Ridiculous monster you will never use

Discussing all things Ravenloft
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

I always liked the elven vampire (case example Jundar Sunstar)
Jander is not of the Elven Vampire strain. He is not even an elf turned vampire, he is an elven Nosferatu. :)

I dislike this scarring buisness of the elven vampires, but i think that Lady Adeline is a pretty cool villianess no the less.

Personally I'm quite grateful for the Spirit Waif. One saved my character once. :D
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

William Blackmoor wrote:
I always liked the elven vampire (case example Jundar Sunstar)
Jander is not of the Elven Vampire strain. He is not even an elf turned vampire, he is an elven Nosferatu. :)
"Do you have "Nosferatu?"
"Yes, we have "Nosferatu," we got "Nosferatu" this morning!"
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Faust »

Karkhov is not funky enought to be blacula....

as for jander he is really a nosferatu? I tought he was a normal vmapire...
midnightcat
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by midnightcat »

Jander is an Elven Nosferatu. The stats were in "Children of the Night: Vampires" , and "Championsof Darkness".
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

He's Elven, and he's Nosferatu. And Nosferatu is a form of vampire. But he's not an Elven Vampire. That's a specific strain of vampirism that only affects elves and is much different than a nosferatu.

So all Elven Vampires are vampires and elves, but not all Vampires who are Elves are Elven Vampires.

Clear as mist? :D
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

gonzoron wrote: Clear as mist? :D
Pea soup, even.
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

David of the Frat wrote:The Spirt Waif was also 100% useless. It's a freakin' GHOST!
In the initial DoDark draft, it was essentially nothing but scenery, with no way I could discern of interacting with characters. (It was also called something else -- cavern haunt, I think, or something like that.) The Spirit Waif was my resulting quick fix. Even so, it's one of several creatures I thought were just taking up space. Had I been bold enough to remove creatures entirely, I would have turned the whole entry into a one-paragraph Geist subtype (the Kindergeist) in between the Bussengeist and Poltergeist.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

gonzoron wrote:He's Elven, and he's Nosferatu. And Nosferatu is a form of vampire. But he's not an Elven Vampire. That's a specific strain of vampirism that only affects elves and is much different than a nosferatu.

So all Elven Vampires are vampires and elves, but not all Vampires who are Elves are Elven Vampires.
One change we realized we wanted to make in Ravenloft, a little too late to put it in DoDark, was to give the racial vampire strains individual names. Having to refer to an "elf elven vampire" in a stat block is indeed grating.

For the record, in the Vallaki Bookstore, we now call elven vampires albesadows.
BlackBoxGamer
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by BlackBoxGamer »

Albesadows? I like it. Where did you come up with that name? (Any historical or mythological basis for it?)

BBG
So many differing fancies have mankind,
That they the master-sprites may spell and bind.
Mortavius
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mortavius »

I love the name of this creature, but I hate the creature itself: the Scavyt. Cool name, but it's a bloody cavern-dwelling hyena. Nothing more. That, and the Razorback. What's gothic or terrifying about a boar? Even one with some spikes on it's shoulders?

And for the record, even though I agree, it's a ghost, I did use a Spirit Waif to some success in my games. Again, nothing that a normal Geist or Ghost couldn't fill the role of, but at least it was more gothic than a hyena or boar.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

BlackBoxGamer wrote:Albesadows? I like it. Where did you come up with that name? (Any historical or mythological basis for it?)
I can't remember who came up with it at the moment, unfortunately. One of us, not me -- I didn't name any of the racial strains. The name is intended to be an Elven term that roughly translates as "unloved by shade," as I recall.

So, no, no antecedents.
Mangrum
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Mangrum »

Mortavius wrote:I love the name of this creature, but I hate the creature itself: the Scavyt. Cool name, but it's a bloody cavern-dwelling hyena. Nothing more. That, and the Razorback. What's gothic or terrifying about a boar? Even one with some spikes on it's shoulders?
I would have gladly ditched both of those creatures as well. I thought the razorback lent itself to unintentional comedy, though I did eventually come around a little and find a niche for it (in Gaz I). The scavyt just struck me as totally generic.

As a note, it was while I was tearing through DoDark that I came to the (much delayed) personal realization that, in 2E, several kinds of Ravenloft elemental (dread elementals in 3E) were, in terms of game mechanics, absolutely identical to the standard varieties.

Since I've been ragging on the book, I should be fair and say that there were critters I really liked as well. The drownings were inventive, for example, and I thought the new wrinkles in the kizoku gave it a much more distinctive flavor. (I'd credit the authors, but other than the Kargatane authors, I don't have much of a clue as who wrote what.)
Jakob
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Jakob »

Tentacle rat.
I will say nothing more. :roll:
I coloni rovinavano la foresta costruendo il capolavoro dell'uomo civilizzato: il deserto.
- Luis Sepúlveda
DeepShadow of FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by DeepShadow of FoS »

In defense of the spirit waif, I like the concept of the ghost of an innocent retaining its goodness in death. I'm planning to use them in my games, but I'd prefer to see this handled without an entire separate stat block.
The Avariel has borrowed wings,
The Puppeteer must cut the strings
The Orphan Queen must take the throne
The Queen of Orphans calls them home
Faust
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Faust »

I do like the scavyt i mean they are nice critters to challenge a lvl 1 party...