What do you want to see most for Ravenloft: Involution d20?

Coordinating community projects

What do you want to see for the 1st Involution submissions?

STORY! Story, story, story- We want Modules Baby!
63%
NPCs- I need some interesting characters. No. Really.
18%
Groups & Societies- There can never be too many of these in RL
18%

Total votes: 38

daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

What do you want to see most for Ravenloft: Involution d20?

Post by daffy72 »

Hi guys, I'm putting this up to gather some info for the DM.

If choosing~

Story
Adventure and module hooks at this early juncture would be a lot of "what the world knows" and no real DM notes. The DM is very firm that no secrets will be revealed in pnp before they appear in-game. Just to be honest with you, it will read a lot like a Press Kit at this point.

The earliest I can see a playable adventure being released is after Ravenloft: Involution Chapter 4- "Gaslight, Big City" hits the NWN community. There will be many sections like 'House on Gryphon Hill' saying- Record your player's choices here, for later reference.

NPCs
Again, at this early juncture its going to look a lot like the character write-ups they give in the NWN & expansion books.

Groups & Societies
This would only be "as the world" knows them right now. Good for plot hooks, but no real meat on how they fit into Involution, or if there IS nohing else to them and they ARE just what they seem.

The poll (I'm assuming), will tell us what we should get together when we CAN reveal some secrets. I just don't want anyone to be disappointed with the first submissions thinking it will be an "All secrets revealed" kind of thing.

~Andrew Bator
RPGfortress * Dark Powers of Ravenloft Guild
Last edited by daffy72 on Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RLCore - A Ravenloft campaign setting for Neverwinter Nights

Athena Virtual Productions, Inc.
www.AtlasEditor.com
Malken/Ezekiel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malken/Ezekiel »

I voted for NPCs. I like interesting characters, but I'll probably adapt them for somewhere else.

BTW, do you have a set date for the release of the first chapter for NWN yet? I'm thinking about getting NWN after christmas, so I'm really looking forward to this! I'm pitching it to all my friends!
:twisted:/:mrgreen:[size=75]
- Malken/Ezekiel, your friendly neighbourhood personality-splinter.[/size]
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

There is no definate date, but the story script is in its last stages. The DM is finishing Chapter 1 up while on vacation as we speak. The first town where the story starts is already built and all dialogue for the main NPCs and encounters are written. Last night we were designing an interior for a mansion that will be in chapter one.

The main part left to do is wraping up the RLCore tools and features. The head developer has been searching the stores in his area for the Hordes of the Underdark expansion, so he can update the tools and enable us to finish up the rest of the 1.0 development list- fear and horror effects, prestige classes, that sort of thing.
To use the RL tools or play Involution everyone will need NWN and its two expansions- Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark. We fully support WotC and Bioware because without their toolset and additional access to the backbone programming this project would not have been possible beyond a 'pie in the sky' stage.

In parallel- some of the Guild is also working on a persistant world server and great progress was completed over the weekend. Basically when we DO launch there is going to be a flood of material all at once.

I hope that is a suficient Product Update for everyone. I'll be glad to answer any further questions.

Andrew Bator

www.AtlasEditor.com
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

Hmm...interesting. A tie between NPC's and Groups & Societies.

Well, I chose Groups & Societies, mainly because they fit so well into the general mood and theme of the RL setting....and as the poll says - you can never have too many of those...:lol:

Besides, I have many, many notebooks of NPC's as it is...
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

I must admit- actually I didn't notice the "view results" for those who haven't voted yet. I voted for NPCs. I don't really know if that's bad pool to vote on you're own poll. Then again, I assist the DM with ideas and as editor. HE does the bulk of the work. So I don't know if that entitles me to a vote or not! Heh.

When it comes time to actually sit down and write the first d20 stuff though, we will take into account that Andrew voted for NPCs once. If its important like at the time of this post- where its tied with societies, then societies would be the first thing released, because its what YOU the fans asked for. :D

~Andrew 'hanging chad' Bator

www.AtlasEditor.com
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

...an interesting decision process...:P.

In the end however, whatever you decide you go with, I'm sure it will be great...:wink:
"When she embraces
And when she whispers
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

I find it interesting all the attention for work on a fan module on the General board, and only a few stopped by on this thread. Heh. Too bad there isn't a way to advertise... this thread talks about modules toooooooo
LOL

www.AtlasEditor.com
Malken/Ezekiel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malken/Ezekiel »

daffy72 wrote:I find it interesting all the attention for work on a fan module on the General board, and only a few stopped by on this thread. Heh. Too bad there isn't a way to advertise... this thread talks about modules toooooooo
LOL
I think the main difference is that the fan module project actually demands something of the viewers, whereas now we just sit around waiting patiently, or not so patiently, for your NWN mod and d20 compendium...

One other factor is the fact that mr. Hibik was so prompt in getting the draft for contributors together, so people feel they have to contribute. In other words, he was very in-your-face about it... :wink:
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by daffy72 »

Malken/Ezekiel wrote: I think the main difference is that the fan module project actually demands something of the viewers, whereas now we just sit around waiting patiently, or not so patiently, for your NWN mod and d20 compendium...

One other factor is the fact that mr. Hibik was so prompt in getting the draft for contributors together, so people feel they have to contribute. In other words, he was very in-your-face about it... :wink:
Well I've been asking for feedback from the community since April and have heard almost nill. Also, we aren't just putting out a module like DLA- Dragonlance Adventures is. We are designing tools to bring everyone the Ravenloft Setting. There will be no programming required, and anyone can create their own Ravenloft Video game. We very much want people to step forward. Although creating the tools is a lot more work, in the long run it will help us if people say "I want to build Borca"
"I want to build Mordent" If the person or persons are serious Just doing that sets a whirlwind in motion. Because then we need to go over the Canon so the vision of the Domain is created... basically the pre-fab everyone will get is a Ravenloft Gazetteer layout- the whole Domain in digital format ready for anyone to tell their own Ravenloft Video game story in that area.

The backbone tools aren't needed at that stage-
All someone needs is the haks (which we are giving out on a limited basis, but we need people checking and rechecking in with us to get the latest updates to the haks as we finish them up. This is why they aren't released yet). And they just have to follow a few simple regs, so everything flows into the RLCore tools when they ARE released.

This is how western Darkon has been getting built, Forlorn and Falkovnia.
Once someone heads up an area then they communicate to us what specific Landmarks the area would need- the estates as seen in the Realm of Terror cards, etc., the clock works of mayvin, etc.
Here is where we come in and build the custom tiles to bring that to fruition. Everything around that can be created though.

Anyone who doesn't want to do that, could volinteer to work on mini mission ideas, or NPCs that live in that area, bring a canon character or event to my attention that may have slipped through the cracks....
etc. etc.
on and on and on

There is enough work for 200 people if they want it.
We've had quite a few offers of help and then people just disappear. That's fine. And to be expected. No one is getting paid after all. We don't want people who are only 'kind of' into doing this... we want people who bug out to want and get in and get started on work. If no one helps it will still all get done. We are crazy enough to do it alone, that's for sure :twisted:

If people want to help though, there is plenaty of room for that too. In fact the developer wants me to gather some play testers. The server is up and in (an estimated) two weeks or so we will begin some testing. Anyone who has NWN and its two expansions is welcome to apply. Those familar with Ravenloft would be better, but even that is not necessary. I still have a few positions left for any that are interested, contact me.

info@digitalchameleons.com

Testing, BTW has gone on for months... testing features, tools, interfaces, bugs, etc.
I'm talking about play testing- running thru areas that are almost ready for launch, etc.

The most useful help in concern for the official campaign Involution (yes ALL that above has nothing to do with the official campaign...) all that above- i've just been talking about help to get the areas to the public.
Anyway... there is so much work to do for each city in Darkon, anyone who seriously wants to help... that would be the most useful help someone could offer right now for Involution.

What kind of help do you ask? As i said... if i had 200 people i could find something for everyone to do, once i know what it is someone is capable of doing. If you can't do any of that, you can write a script. Like a movie script, a teleplay. Someone could hunt down and interview the fan fic authors, ask them the 200 questions needed to also throw those characters in the background, living in a house in a city in a domain. A few hundred NPCs are needed for each of the bigger areas. The more flushed out they are the better. Their life stories don't need to be connected with the overall meta plot. Putting all that in- then someone can use those characters and involve them, or they are just there for flavor- going about their day, courting the npc next door, etc. (yes that is all possible with the system we created). Lists of rumors for a given area could be generated, names of major streets, names of business (please no taverns- or inns we have more then enough of those) any other business' with a paragraph or two for the owner would be great.

Most anything can be worked in, and since you have a team for feedback I know from personal experience if the group on the whole doesn't like an idea YOU'LL know. lol
That's good though, cause when many people like or dislike an idea it helps guage what the audience in general will embrace.

So send us anything. Send us monetary donations if you want! Send us your NPC. Send us the best senerio you experienced in your years of playing Ravenloft. It can ge worked in SOMEWHERE.

The latest development BTW- the developer sent the beginning of the cast shots for the first town seen in chapter one.
It was pretty funny to see them all standing in a field talking and yelling at eachother. In an odd way, it was like we were getting ready to shoot on location and they were all standing around in costume waiting for someone to say 'action'

:P
also u have no wish to pull anyone off this new module project- i don't want anyone spreading themselves too thin.

If you want an assignment- we are going nuts (a good nuts- a throw in everything including the kitchen sink nuts) with Il Aluk (in its hayday)
send any ideas for buildings, landmarks, etc.
the only restriction- don't bring up canon npcs unless they could be alive and well in the early 700's BC
immortal monsters, Kargat, canon characters who would be 4 yrs old at the time- thats all fine.

questions like "Hey! were you going to include the __________ from <RL source here?> are fine
providing some follow up statements aboutr the thing mentioned are even better. Remember its RLs biggest city so we really have a lot of freedom to add most anything. Let's hear those ideas. YOU have the power to shape the world for everyone else to see..
As the kid says at the end of 'Night of the Creeps' ~Thrill me

www.AtlasEditor.com
tec-goblin
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by tec-goblin »

It's difficult to say. I would like a story with interesting full-fledged NPCs (who could be used anywhere) and some-to-many connections to one or two excisting secret societies.
BEAUTIFUL IS!
CHAOS
too DIM MJLTIVERSE
IS TO NOTICE
MOST THE OF.
Malken/Ezekiel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malken/Ezekiel »

Just another thought: I have to confess, when I first heard about this, I was intimidated. At the time, I might have volunteered, but I felt pessimistic: I thought I never would be able to make a videogame. Hell, I thought you couldn't do it either. I freely admit, I misjudged you. From what I've seen now, this appears truly fantastic, but I still doubt my ability to contribute that much.

I guess the heart of the matter is that modules is something every DM can relate to, while making a RL videogame/mod sounds far more lofty...
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

First content call to the community-

Post by daffy72 »

well...

Dream big, succeed big
right?

Ok guys, you want an assignment?
pick one and email answers to: info@digitalchameleons.com

1. Names for main streets in Darkon-
(In English and Latin)
-Main roads in the cities (minus those that run right through)
See city maps, if one is provided in the appropiate RL resources. (There are not many detailed Darkon city maps).

2. Names for businesses in Darkon
-Name, type of business, (location)~ You don't need to add a location- more vague is better- means the odds of it showing up increase greatly.. That's on my assumption that there will soon be a time when we have enough names for each type of biz.
-Inn names are OK but last on the list.
Taverns are right out! haha.

3. Merchants names and mini-bio
Can be added to 2., or sent alone. Location can be added, but not necessary. In the grand multi-verse that is D&D you can even use your old player characters as inspiration what would a parallel version of your player character do if he wasn't an adventurer? Using such sources, you have a name, personality, ideas for a past, entire families possibly. This isn't as hard as it sounds.

4. NPCs
If you want NPCs added- part of their recreation, you can list where they like to go, brothel, tavern, festhall (Restaurant) etc. Also list any canon societies or such they might be a part of.

First assign one word to the TYPE of tavern, etc.
In case we want to drop the NPC in one of our own. Examples include: Seedy, Quiet, Popular, Upscale, etc.

Need a tavern?
Consult resources in this order:
the Gaz's
the 2E resources
the Midway Haven's Tavern Guide

5. Kargat members
This was buried on another post and no one ever answered:
Karat members- from the canon. I know of 4 currently. (its one of the many things i need to reseach still). Info needed- name, kind of undead or lycanthrope, etc., the canon resouce for background history, age, why they joined, ANY info for any of them and where they are is most helpful.

6. Kargatane
This isn't as important, but if they can be alive and part of the Kargatane in 702-714BC *I* want to know about it. LOL as with the Kargat above, any info is helpful.

On submissions or feedback- this kind of statement is VERY unhelpful-
"I kind of remember a reference or something in a book or on the web or something, and it talked about something but i can't quite remember."

These statements tell me something is or WAS out there, but not even enough information to begin to look for it or hunt it down, or contact the person who did it. So please, the more facts the better.

Ok? in your face enough? Did I list enough? I assigned things that will be welcome anytime. sooner is always better though because I add the info to the development documents as i get it--- for when we DO need it. For anyone interested- this is the fun stuff of the project.

If you're looking to help out the Official Campaign Involution- Send the above info for the following places. Order is from most important to least.

Darkon-
Martira Bay- needed ASAP, time is almost up to include anything here, but there is a lot of space to still add the above info. If I don't get the info, then the development group will sit and brainstorm, but i'd rather businesses and names come from a huge assortment of people. The intermixture of styles will help the city feel more real.

Rivalis
Nartok (both to be released at the same time)

Il Aluk (not necropolis)

Viaki

Mayvin
Corvia
Karg (all 3 will be launched at the same time)

Sidnar
Nevuchar Springs (both to be released at the same time)

Ok then- I'm still waiting to be thrilled. and no one needs to feel overwhelmed, the reason the Guild came together in the first place was to divvy up the work. The more that help, the easier everything is and the sooner it gets done. The less that help, it's still GOING to get done, it will just take longer. Somone on the official module thread stated that you get too many people and it doesnt work- if you get too many people making EXECUTITIVE DECISIONS it doesn't work.
Well 3 of us do that, and if you hate the result we 3 will be to blame. So no worries. There is so much work TO do, that people can do whatever they can handle. If you are only good at details, you work on details, and someone else will wear the hat for the module/ city.

for creative work though, there is one Carnial Rule (as applied to Involution- DM has final say- he's head writer).

For the guild- if something is not technically feesable Zonker has final say.

pretty much everything else is a group effort. The NICE thing with all the work that an area needs is there really IS space for most anything.
ok enough pep talk- talking means work isnt being done.

Thanks in advance for your help and support
Sincerely,
Andrew Bator
Last edited by daffy72 on Sun Jan 04, 2004 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

www.AtlasEditor.com
daffy72
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Still waiting to be thrilled

Post by daffy72 »

Haven't heard anything from anybody guys.
We are only talking about the written word here, not hard to do.
waiting....

*sigh* :roll:
still waiting.....

I hate waiting. You don't-a susppose that we could-a speed things up a bit do you? Granted, I'm only-a waiting aronud to kill you!

www.AtlasEditor.com
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Sorry daffy72. I guess most of us have been extremely busy over the last few days, I know I have.

Anyway, I'll get my submissions out to you soon though, maybe tomorrow...depending on how New Year's Eve plays out of course...:shock:
"When she embraces
And when she whispers
Malken/Ezekiel
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malken/Ezekiel »

Just wanted to let you know that I have given it some thought, and I'm planning on sending in something. Last days have been rather harrowing though, been working a lot of nightshifts, and since that's when I tend to do most of my work, I haven't been able to do much. I'll probably have it to you by Saturday.