History of Gothic Earth

Discussing Masque of the Red Death
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

History of Gothic Earth

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I am only on the gazetteer section of the book so far, but among the history I have spotted a historic (and much repeated) error. It states that Authur was an English king fighting the Saxon and Viking invasions during the 6th century. England was formed by the Saxons at the end of the 6th century (possibly early 7th century), so he would not have been English, instead he would have been a Briton, or Welsh by modern accounts in terminology.

There, just wanted to share that. Has anyone else spotted any errors in the hostoric section of the book?
Swallow your soul!
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Honestly, I haven't taken a look at it, becasue it really doesn't interest me.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Igor the Henchman
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Igor the Henchman »

I think calling him English was just a way of saying he was part of England's history. Sure, the Engles hadn't yet been to Britain yet, so he would be more of a "British" king... But on the other hand, the people of America prior to the coming of the Europeans are referred to as "native Americans" today, even though it was before the name "America" was given to the continent. Maybe in England or Wales the issue becomes more significant, I don't know.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

There was also Prince Madoc who landed on mainland North America a long time before Columbus set sail, he taught some of the Native American Indians he and his people encountered to speak Welsh, lol.

On the Arthurian note, there are real-life notes to a warlord under the emply of the High King of Britain who was charged with beating the Saxons back, so that may be the origin of the Arthurian legends. I first came about this reading the Warlord Chrinicles bu Bernard Cornwell and looked into it, there are hints to an unnamed warlord doing that, but no mention as to what happened to him, but it was during the 6th century AD. Where the warlord came from also isn't noted, which is quite typical of the time, as most written records were conducted by the fledgiling Christian religion in Britain and they didn't document much that wasn't directly related to the church, so he may have had some dealings with them, causing him to have a mention.

It would be interesting to see more information on how Arthur tied into Gothic Earth's history though.
Swallow your soul!
Lost and Damned
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Lost and Damned »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:I first came about this reading the Warlord Chrinicles bu Bernard Cornwell and looked into it, there are hints to an unnamed warlord doing that, but no mention as to what happened to him, but it was during the 6th century AD. Where the warlord came from also isn't noted, which is quite typical of the time, as most written records were conducted by the fledgiling Christian religion in Britain and they didn't document much that wasn't directly related to the church, so he may have had some dealings with them, causing him to have a mention.
Best version of Arthur I have ever read, still Bernard Cornwall created Sharpe, enough said 8)

As for the mistake.....

THAT'S HERESEY :twisted:

He was a Brition! No England back then!
The Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural...

[url=http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_66&products_id=701&affiliate_id=6326]Support Ravenloft PDF's at Drive Thru RPGs NOW![/url]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Lost and Damned wrote:Best version of Arthur I have ever read, still Bernard Cornwall created Sharpe, enough said 8)

As for the mistake.....

THAT'S HERESEY :twisted:

He was a Brition! No England back then!
Agreed, with all you said ;)

Cornwell's Arthur is the most historically accurate about as well, basing it on the records of the warlord who held back the Saxons.

I wonder when we will see Cornwell release Sharpe's Red Death or Sharpe's Qabal? lol.
Swallow your soul!
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

If anyone here has read The Golden Dawn, a sourcebook for Call of Cthulhu by Pagan Publishing, I love the version of Arthur in there. I'd much rather use *that* version in Masque. That Arthur would definitely be a Lord of the Red Death...

Basically, in there he's a pagan warlord and while it's true that he *will* come back, he'll also bring back his wicked ways and evil. That Arthur is vehemently anti-Christian (he tries to blow up St. Paul's in one adventure) and basically is attempting to overthrow Britain, not save it... or he is saving it as he sees it, but on his own terms... not anyone else's.
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I had a few classes about Arthur this semester. From what I learned, what we can say for sure is that Arthur was a celt warlord who defeated the Saxons at Mount Baden at the beginning of the 6th century. The writer who began the Arthurian legend was Geoffrey of Monmouth who wrote his fictive History of the Kings of Britain. in this story, Arthur basically takes on the whole roman empire!
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I see Authur working morew with whatever Qabals there were at the time in Britain, he worked alongside the druids and I see them as a qabal of some form. Of course, if you want to place Morgan la Fey (historically, the la was something else for women, but it loosely means Morgan, daughter of fairies/elves/witches), she could be an agent of the Red Death in a bid to remove Authur and weaken the Qabal, or to have him replaced with Mordred who would definately be a servant of the Red Death.

Hmmm.... I wonder if it would be possible to bring Merlin (Myrddin, who would have been female by the way, before she became Merlin) into the 1890's? Some legends say that merlin knew of the future so it could be possible that he (she) came from a qabal the future to aid Authur. A very interesting snenario set in Gothic earh's past could come from all of them.
Swallow your soul!
Le Noir Faineant
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity
Rafe, Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Le Noir Faineant »

Accordiing to the few historical resources that exist, the classical view of Arthur as a historical person is to identify him with *Artorius*, son or nephew of *Ambrosius was his name, I believe*, a Welsh/Roman chieftain who made a peace treaty with the Saxons in the 470s.

Besides, *The Round Table* itself would be a nice quabal to experiment with, I believe...

To link it with literature: Ivanhoe, a noble knight of an old Saxon bloodline, could be a member of this quabal. He fights an evil templar *Bois - Gilbert*; and many associate the templars too with forbidden arcane arts...
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

Heh, english, welsh, briton, roman or cornish. Does it really matter as the only true heroes come from those of the Irish in the fair land of Erie in the province of Connaught. So you see Arthur has to be a myth cause he wasnt Irish. :P

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

Most of you will probably know, but there is a short referance to Merlin, his qabal "The Stone" and Arthur in Dragon #249 pg.31.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Haven't read Dragon for years, so I missed that referrence.

Alot of the battles in the Arethurian legends are based on real life battles, in their approximate time and location at least. Alot of these battles were commanded under a unnamed Briton warlord battling against the Saxons. Of course, as time went on extra things were added, etc. However, it appears there have been some archeological findings in Britain in the past few years that may well be sites and places mentioned in the Arthurian legends. Only time will tell if they are really the same things/places or not though.

Marauder, the word Briton predates the other countries in Britain, so to be a Briton is to be Welsh ;)

My favourite piece of archeology at the moment is that they have found proof that Troy may have been in Britain, not Turkey, lol (and that the Trojan Horse was in fact a battering ram, go figure). Next thing you know, Atlantis will have teleported several thousand year ago, having not sank, but jumped elsewhere, lol.
Swallow your soul!
William Blackmoor
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by William Blackmoor »

Atlantis is Ireland (according to one book) so it didn't sink at all:D
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

William Blackmoor wrote:Atlantis is Ireland (according to one book) so it didn't sink at all:D
You know, I wouldn't surprised if Ireland was Atlantis if Troy was in Britain ;) There were meant to be quite close to eachoer in some parts of mytholog.
Swallow your soul!