Anniversary: A Year in Review

Discussing all things Ravenloft
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Anniversary: A Year in Review

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

My esteemed brothers and honored guests,

On October 31, 2003, a great tragedy befell the online Ravenloft community. The Vallaki bookshop that many of us visited on a regular basis burnt to the ground, and the Kargatane owners scattered to pursue their personal interests.

Without a place to call home, hundreds of refugees fled in search of a site to fill the void. Many of these refugees found other websites dedicated to Ravenloft, and others began to create their own. In fact, six of these refugees gathered together and began discussions on creating their own website where their projects could continue. Thus, the editors of the Undead Sea Scrolls and the editors of Quoth the Raven joined together to form the Fraternity of Shadows.

Like the phoenix, the legendary bird of resurrection, the website arose from the ashes of its predecessors. Struggling to live up to the high standards set by the Kargatane and having to slowly draw back refugees from the mists, the Fraternity of Shadows has slowly grow into what you see today. After only a year, we have gained more than 300 members. Some of these faces are old and familiar, and some of these faces are fresh and new. However, everyone who came here shared a common interest; all of them had thoughts and ideas on the Ravenloft setting.

In the last year, the Fraternity of Shadows has released four issues of Quoth the Raven with a fifth issue scheduled to be released in January of next year. We, the Fraternity, have also created several areas for reviews, campaigns, artwork, and other contributions. Yet, most importantly, the fans have contributed to the success of these and other projects. We are rapidly growing, and there is great potential for the year ahead.

So let me be the first to lift my glass in gratitude to all of you for your help and support this past year. Without your help, we wouldn’t be where we are today. However, let this not merely be a toast but a challenge as well. Keep up the good work and see what the next year holds for the Fraternity of Shadows

Jason “Javier” True
Master of Illusions
Fraternity of Shadows
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Great year guys! Here's to many more!
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I still can't believe its been a year already; great job everyone.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

One year on the site, another two with the USS before that, where does the time go. Not complaining mind you, I am enjoying every moment of it to have such a unique opportunity to help support the campaign setting we all love, sleep and breathe (or it that just me with all three of those? lol).
Swallow your soul!
Gonzoron of the FoS
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gonzoron of the FoS »

cheers to what will hopefully be the first year of many!
"We're realistic heroes. We're not here to save the world, just nudge the world into a better place."
MadStepDad
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MadStepDad »

Well, if it's a party y'all know I gotta crash it. Man. Time flies when you're havin fun, huh? It's been a whole year since the Manoir opened its doors to the public - and it feels like you are already an institution. I can think of other notable one year anniversaries in this shared world of ours - my own heart of midnight, for example - and it just seems that more things change the more they stay the same.

A toast to the Frat boys for their unholy dedication, and congratulations to Jester for accepting their poisoned kool-aid. Ravenloft for life, suckers! From here until the Time of Unparalleled Darkness!

peace,

MSD
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4mBjj_yt4&feature=youtu.be

Conjunction
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/19/grand-conjunction

"BCCW" by MSD
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/33/broken-city-championship-wrestling-madstepdad
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

congrats

Post by maraudar »

Congrats on the year and the great work. I only recently discovered FOS but have to say I am impressed and awed by both USS and Quothe the Raven. As well as the whole the place. Keep up the great work.

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Stay with us Marauder, we hope to improve and expand even more :)

MSD, the party is everyday, why should one day be special? Okay, it was our anniversary, but each day we go on, it is something special as it gives something more to the fans of the setting and forms a community :)
Swallow your soul!
Sir T
Paladin
Paladin

Post by Sir T »

Well done people. I'm sorry I could not have as big a part in your sucess as I would have liked, but I'm happy for you all. This is a terrific resource for the community and I hope it continues for many years to come.
Vae Victus!
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

I haven't seen you post for a while T, where you been hiding? :P
Swallow your soul!
Sir T
Paladin
Paladin

Post by Sir T »

Its a long story Wicci. To put it short, I was moved out of my flat by my landlord temporarily to a new place that was far far better at a reduced rate. Of course when I jumped at the chance he moven in builders into my old place straight away, and gave everyone else on the floor notice to quit, while making their lives intolerable with banging and sawing so they would quit. They left, and then he moved me again, to a place that not onlky had trains running night and day right beside the house shaking the place apart, but had people downstairs, the type that give drug addicts and alcoholics a bad name. I lasted 1 night there and fled.

I then spent some time sleeping on someone elses floor. I eventually got a new place (not easy on disability allowance) and have slowly found that the place I am in now is as bad as the old one, apart fromt he fact its smaller and even more leaky (Water poars from the bathroon ceiling when its raining, a not too uncommon occurance in Ireland). The heating is on for only an hour a day (maybe) Also the place is so quiet the isolation is killing me. 9 years of past unhappyness has just came flooding out I suppose. Because of all this my depression has returned full force. The final straw was when I found whenever I have a shower water poars into the floor below me. So I'm heaving that place and heading home to live with my parents for a while.

So thats why I wasnt posting.. :)

Needless to say I've lost most of my posetions(sp) in all the moving around, but I still have my Ravenloft stuff, and my computer. So I hope to be posting a bit more than I have been. Evil to slay, and all that :)

Sorry for the long post, but once I got started I guess I couldn't stop. Hope I didn't bore anyone to death! :oops:

Oh did I mention today I lost my wallet, and I had to break down the door of this god-forsaken flat because I locked myself out? I dont know what i've done to deserve this domain, but I wonder would any of the other darklorks like to swap? :twisted:
Last edited by Sir T on Wed Dec 22, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vae Victus!
Malus Black
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Malus Black »

Sir T wrote:Sorry for the long post, but once I got started I guess I couldn't stop. Hope I didn't bore anyone to death! :oops:
That is hardly a problem on these boards - death is such a temporary state, after all.

Seriously, though, nice to see you back, and I hope things work out for you - we all know paladins have a hard time :)
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream

-Edgar Allan Poe
Sir T
Paladin
Paladin

Post by Sir T »

I'm surprised people remember me, to be honest! :shock: :)
Vae Victus!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Sir T wrote:I'm surprised people remember me, to be honest! :shock: :)
Well, we only have so many self appointed paladins walking around the halls of the manor... :wink:
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
Sir T wrote:I'm surprised people remember me, to be honest! :shock: :)
Well, we only have so many self appointed paladins walking around the halls of the manor... :wink:
These days at least :twisted:
Swallow your soul!