What age should we stop playing Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft

About what age do you believe a person should stop playing Raenloft as he or she is very old for this?

Around 18, at most 20. This is a game for teenagers after all.
1%
Around 25. When you should find a permanent job or marry and generally have more important things to do
2%
Around 30 to 35. When you have kids, you should stop hunting vampires and werewolves. What bedtime stories will you tell them if not?
1%
Around 45 - 50. You can't play when your children bring their girlfriends at home, can you?
No votes
Around 60. You have to help your children raise their own children! You can't play any more.
No votes
Around 70. I really can't find a reason for a person to stop playing Ravenloft if he/she reached that far!
No votes
Never! Until your brain becomes so old that you cannot remember who Strahd is, you will roll the dice.
96%

Total votes: 101

Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Definatly a she? Strange, I thought I'd heard references in both directions. Anyway, they might not be the easiest to run, but war and death would likely be a the most fun to watch. Well...maybe a little less so than fertility and revelry, but they'd be a little more likely to have an actual goal.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
Walden
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by Walden »

Wiccy...your session with the gods is starting to sound a like a Terry Pratchett novel... :)

(I'm pretty sure I heard Morgan/Morrigan's gender tended to vary between cultures... you know, Welsh vs. Irish, etc. Of course, I'm no expert on Celtic mythology.)
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Morgan is the name that evolved to Morrigan, both are celtic names given to women. The name Merlin is born from the Celtic name Myrddin, also a woman''s name ;) Which destroys any theory of Merlin from the Arthurian Legends being a man :P

As for the Pratchett address, I plead guitly to having read The Colour of Magic when I was 8 (in 1983) and being a Pratchett fan ever since ;)
Last edited by Wiccy of the Fraternity on Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swallow your soul!
Dr Bloodworth
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Dr Bloodworth »

Merlin was probably made into a man by Malory when he wrote La Morte; I think he had, ahem, issues with women... hence why just about every woman in that version of the tale is less than desirable in some way. I've also heard that Merlin was possibly drawn from the Scottish Lailoken, a wild man. And Taliesin, though I don't know that the two are really that similar.

Part of what could account for any perceived Morrigan gender confusion is the whole thing about the Celts having like 15,000 gods of war...
Better to betray the world, than for the world to betray me.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Prior to outside influence, it is believed tha tthe Celts had 12 deities, 13 if you include Mawr's half-human son. The Irish deities are based on those of the Britons, as the island was settled by those Celts who went to the land from Britain, so a little adaptation is possible over the years.
Swallow your soul!
MadStepDad
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MadStepDad »

David of the Frat wrote:Show some pride man! GEEK POWER!!!!
:lol:
Speak for yourself! (and congratulations on the g/f)

No reason you can't be buried with a twenty-sider if that's the way things gotta go down. Remember, this is Ravenloft for life. And yeah - NWN is cool (I suppose) but table top is the real deal. That's like, the whole point in playin RPGs in my opinion. And there's no reason you can't go on gaming forever. You know, you got boyz night where you drink a few beers, play poker or watch the game or whatever. No reason that D&D session can't be the weekly cribbage game, ya dig?

For me, it's just a definite way of keeping in touch with friends that have busy schedules. That one day a week where we KNOW we're gonna get up and hang out. So I vote "NEVER" cuz the game will never die. This is Ravenloft for life, suckers! Remember that!

peace,

MSD
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4mBjj_yt4&feature=youtu.be

Conjunction
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/19/grand-conjunction

"BCCW" by MSD
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/33/broken-city-championship-wrestling-madstepdad
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

After looking at many of the pictures of the people on this board, I have to say that age doesn't appear to be a reason to stop playing DnD.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Snake wrote:After looking at many of the pictures of the people on this board, I have to say that age doesn't appear to be a reason to stop playing DnD.
Just to satisfy my curiousity, what other reasons can you think of to stop playing Ravenloft? ;)
Swallow your soul!
maraudar
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by maraudar »

There's reasons to stop?! Hmmm when someone figures them let me know. I wont listen ubut at least I'll know what they are.

Maraudar
Blade, fire, pistol or stake it matters not.. Even the undead can become true dead.
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Just to satisfy my curiousity, what other reasons can you think of to stop playing Ravenloft?
While I certainly cannot answer for Snake, other responsibilities would the reason(s) I can think of for not playing Ravenloft anymore. Something along the lines of what alhoon suggested for the age of 25. You don't need to stop role-playing when you get married or have start a full-time job, but it definitely becomes much more difficult to keep doing both. As long as you don't sacrifice your marriage or career for the game, I don't see it being a necessity. However, there are some people where this might be the case.

Overall, I don't view it as being a matter of age so much as being a matter of balancing different aspects of your life.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Just to satisfy my curiousity, what other reasons can you think of to stop playing Ravenloft? ;)
Sometimes the tasks in life don't allow fun things like DnD. This is why I went about six months without posting on this board at one point.
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Over the last couple of years I think I have sat down with a group to play D&D (let alone Ravenloft) about 3 or 4 times, not good at all :( Just no interest for it in my area it seems, or the groups I have tried to meet up with never seem to be able to find a time to get together (curse them and their social lives).

Shame my sister and brother-in-law don't live around here, I could get a game running with them very easily, but it is a bit difficult with them living in Seatle these days :lol:
Swallow your soul!
Gemathustra
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Gemathustra »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
Snake wrote:After looking at many of the pictures of the people on this board, I have to say that age doesn't appear to be a reason to stop playing DnD.
Just to satisfy my curiousity, what other reasons can you think of to stop playing Ravenloft? ;)
No one to play with.
They weren't kidding when they sang "One is the loneliest number..."
"Arrogant mortal! You are in my world now and you will never leave this attic alive! I will destroy you, and then I will possess she whom you love the most. And there is not a single thing in the world you can do to stop me!"
*poke*
"OW!"
-Dracula
MadStepDad
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by MadStepDad »

Gemathustra wrote:No one to play with.
We've already discussed this, Stanton. You need to grab some schmucks around the throat and MAKE them RL players. It's the only way.
Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bc4mBjj_yt4&feature=youtu.be

Conjunction
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/19/grand-conjunction

"BCCW" by MSD
http://madstepdad.proboards.com/board/33/broken-city-championship-wrestling-madstepdad
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

Hmmph, that's easy for you to say MSD. At least back when I kicked about in Montreal, there was a decent number of people to work with. Now that I temporarly confined to a town sometimes refered to as Ozarks North, I'm quite possibly the only one in an hours drive who even knows what a d20 looks like.
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort