What age should we stop playing Ravenloft

Discussing all things Ravenloft

About what age do you believe a person should stop playing Raenloft as he or she is very old for this?

Around 18, at most 20. This is a game for teenagers after all.
1%
Around 25. When you should find a permanent job or marry and generally have more important things to do
2%
Around 30 to 35. When you have kids, you should stop hunting vampires and werewolves. What bedtime stories will you tell them if not?
1%
Around 45 - 50. You can't play when your children bring their girlfriends at home, can you?
No votes
Around 60. You have to help your children raise their own children! You can't play any more.
No votes
Around 70. I really can't find a reason for a person to stop playing Ravenloft if he/she reached that far!
No votes
Never! Until your brain becomes so old that you cannot remember who Strahd is, you will roll the dice.
96%

Total votes: 101

Catman Jim
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Re: What age should we stop playing Ravenloft

Post by Catman Jim »

Joël of the Fraternity wrote:
Catman Jim wrote: I have shown my closest work-friends my letter in Dungeon magazine last year, and was met with blank stares. :(
I don't recall hearing about it (or am too old to remember ;) ). What was it about (and which Dungeon #?)
It was Dungeon #93, July 2002. They did an adventure involving the githyanki that incorporated elements from an adventure that was in Dragon magazine #67, November 1982, and I was old enough to recognize it. :?
(If you find it, yes, Jim is my real name and I really am in Kansas City, or near-abouts) 8)
I only wish I had retired sooner!
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Corrupted_Loremaster »

You know Wiccy, you could always just use telekenisis for dice rolling.

Wasn't me by the way. After I've killed my liver with vodka, destroyed my knees on the dance floor, and shattered my eadrums with music, it'll likely be the only passtime I'll be in any shape to enjoy at that age.

(Now if only that big wussy chained to the wall behind me would stop screaming, I might be able to devise a way around all that unpleasentness...)
I think we're property...
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
That Something (now) owns this earth -- all others warned off. -Charles Fort
Troile
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Troile »

I would think the older you get the better it would get.

The more intriguing stories you would make...and the less bickering and overreacting and such.

I think it just gets better as you get older.
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

Corrupted_Loremaster wrote:You know Wiccy, you could always just use telekenisis for dice rolling.
Bah, I'll just invent a series of new spells upon entering Lichdom. Wiccy's Invisible Dice Roller, Wiccy's Automatic Scribing Pen (for the writing of the adventures), Wiccy's Horror Check Initiator (summons a geist to scare everyone at the table), Wiccy's Haunting Voice (to speak for me in case my tongue falls out due to decay), Wiccy's Endless Pint of Marston's Owd Rodger (not D&D related, I just want one, lol).
Troile wrote:The more intriguing stories you would make...and the less bickering and overreacting and such.

I think it just gets better as you get older.
The more people complaining about the youth of yoday (well, then), the more people talling you to speak up or repeat yourself as they forgot their hearing aids, the fewer members turning up for your games each week because of that pesky things called mortality and death.

Lol.

For the record, I am archaic, but not as old as some here, I'm a wee baby next to them at 29. I have been playing/DM'ing RL since Dark of the Moon was released, so about 10 years. D&D/AD&D I have played since 1987 (or maybe 1986, but I think the former). I am also not married, but have a girlfriend, I work for myself when I get work, otherwise surviving off my disability pension.
Swallow your soul!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

You should stop playing only when God hisself appears before you, points at the game, and says "THOU SHALL NOT!" at whatever age that happens to be. Hopefully never.
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Jester of the FoS
Jester of the Dark Comedy
Jester of the Dark Comedy

Post by Jester of the FoS »

Charlatan wrote:You should stop playing only when God hisself appears before you, points at the game, and says "THOU SHALL NOT!" at whatever age that happens to be. Hopefully never.
Bah, I ignored that last week and I'll ignore next week too.
Dimitri Mazieres
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Dimitri Mazieres »

I'm 24 and unluckilly, I haven't played at all for over a year :(
Between studies, inability to coordinate my group's available time, and an overall drop of interest, it's been a really quite year for my bag of dice...
A pity, since I'm still pretty fond of RL and remember with nostalgia some great moments, like running my party through Bleak House (ah, the assylum... :twisted: )

And on top of that, one of my former players started playing Vampire: The Masquerade. Not that I have anything against the game itself, but when I saw a picture of him wearing makeup to portray his character... well... that was one step further from vampires for me... :wink:
[i]"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"[/i]
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Charlatan wrote:You should stop playing only when God hisself appears before you, points at the game, and says "THOU SHALL NOT!" at whatever age that happens to be. Hopefully never.
Depending on which God appears, I am more likely to offer him a place at the table ;) Goddesses are always more than welcome :)
Swallow your soul!
Charlatan
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charlatan »

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:
Depending on which God appears, I am more likely to offer him a place at the table ;) Goddesses are always more than welcome :)
You'll eat those words when Kali, Hecate, Tiamat and Hel show up at your place next week....
"One thing about livin' in Santa Carla I never could stomach... all the damn vampires."
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Charlatan wrote:You'll eat those words when Kali, Hecate, Tiamat and Hel show up at your place next week....
They are still more than welcome to play :)

Though they may take offense to bad things happening to their characters.

Heheheheheh :twisted:
Swallow your soul!
Sith

Post by Sith »

I'll stop when I will be 150 years old.
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Wiccy of the Fraternity wrote:Depending on which God appears, I am more likely to offer him a place at the table ;)
Just be careful about the problem players. Mars is a bit of a hack+slash addict, and I hear Horus is a total rules lawyer.
That once upon a time, this earth was No-man's Land...but that now it's owned by Something:
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Pan, Cernunoss, Herne and Karnayna will want stuff set in forests with lots of animals running about.

Manawydan and Brigid (Brigit) will want some ocean crossings.

Zeus will play a mage that uses nothing but lightning based spells.

Morgan (Morrigan these days) will want lots of death and undead.

Ra will insist on playing clerics with the sun domain.

Man, it would be hella difficult to cater to the tastes of a group made out of deities, lol.
Swallow your soul!
Corrupted_Loremaster
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Mmm, I was wondering about Morrigan. Imagine she ( or he, as cultre dictates) would likely end up in a body count contest with any other war and/or death gods. Aye, it would likely get a little tough creating an interesting and satisfactory game with that kind of group. I suppose if you managed to get several gods with similar or overlapping portfolios it might go well. Meh, if it didn't work, just go hit the clubs with the Ghede trio. Might not be gods, but those guys still know how to party :twisted:
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

The Nordic fates would be fun to run a game with though.

Morrigan is definately female though ;)

As for a party of death/war gods:

War God 1 - I instate a war against thew village.

Death God 1 - I sacrifice the baker to my unholy overlord.

War God 2 - I kill the baker's family.

War God 1 - I slaughter the village.

Death God 2 - I offer up the deaths of all those killed to MY unholy overlord.

Death God 1 - I slaughter the neighbouring villages and offer them to my unholy overlord (nasty glares toward Death God 2).

War God 3 - I wage war on the nation.

Death Gods 1 & 2 (together) - We offer their deaths as sacrifices... Hey you can't do that! Yes I can... No you can't, I said it first.

Death God 1 - Kill me then, if you can.

Death God 2 - Hey is that a amb needing to be sacrificed (runs off to slaughter the lamd).

War God 2 - I wage war on War Gods 1 and 3.

War Gods 1 & 3 - We accept the challenge and begin a three-way war.

Death God 1 - I raise an army from the dead left in the wake of the war and wage war on everyone.

Death God 2 - I raise an army of slaughtered lambs, goats, dogs, cats, ponies, etc... and wage war on everyone.

Hmmm... maybe a party played by War and Death deities wouldn't so easy after all, lol.
Swallow your soul!