Guide to the Hidden: A New Direction

Coordinating community projects
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Guide to the Hidden: A New Direction

Post by Tobias Blackburn »

Hi everyone.

NOTE: This project has undergone a name change. It is now called The Outcast's Journal.

Last... Ouch, was it really December? Anyway, last december, I announced that I was starting a project called Tobias Blackburn's Guide to the Hidden. It was inspired by the idea of giving calibans some extra abilities and quickly grew into about 4-5 chapters. Then 6 chapters.

Then I sort of disappeared.

During that time, work on it halted. Life got in the way (left job, moved, going back to university to finish my degree) and I found that the actual writing was becoming a terrible slog through the mud. I found that I was coming across as either too generalistic or too preachy. It's difficult to write direct statements about a group which is grouped together only by the way they are treated.

The new netbook has a slightly different view on the Hidden. First , it points out that Hidden is a social class. After all, doesn't a half-vistani in Invidia or a sorcerer in Tepest suffer the same (possibly more) prejudice as a caliban in a Barovian village. The rest focuses on calibans and other overtly different characters, but all can benefit from the abilities presented.

The project is now a 9 chapters long, and the outline is complete. Most of the basic mechanics have been put in place and merely need fine tuning. I am intending to begin writing the assembling fiction (which will be the easy part) within the next day or two.

I hope to have the first chapter (possibly two, but no promises) ready for release in late December. I intend to release the project one chapter at a time and then re-format the entire thing into a pdf file.

Sorry about the lack of news thus far. Figured I should give an update.

Oh, and the following url is the first rough draft for one of the 4 PrC (Hunted Outcast, Fiend Born, Hag Spawn, Finder of the Twisting Form) and 2 core classes (The Occultist, The Witch) planned for the book.

The Hunted Outcast (I know it was posted under the screen name Wilder, I just decided to switch names back)
Last edited by Tobias Blackburn on Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Joël of the FoS

Post by Joël of the FoS »

Hello Mark / Brom / Tobias! Welcome back to the mists!

I haven't forgotten your email. I just take my time before I respond to it ;)

Say hello to Mrs Baie from me.

Joël
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

No problem Joel. Take your time. Project has jumped even a little further ahead, so I figured I was comfortable announcing it (and not worrying about nothing coming of it).

And Mina says hi.
The Remnants have one saying to represent loss, disappearance, exile, and death. It is [i]Shiao Marests[/i], "Taken by The Shadows".
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I always wandered what had happened to the Guide to the Hidden, glad to see it is still coming along :)
Swallow your soul!
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

As a note, the project title is also being changed. It is now going to be called The Outcast's Journal.
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

I remember this... :shock:. In fact, as I recall, I'd offered my assistance with some of the project... :?.

Anyway, glad to see it's still going ahead. We look forward to the completion of your efforts :twisted:.
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Olly
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Olly »

Oh good! I was rather worried that this promising idea had gone the way of the dodo!
Home is behind,
The world ahead,
And there are many paths to tread,
Through shadow,
To the edge of night,
Until the stars are all alight.

Mist and shadow,
Cloud and shade,
Hope shall fail,
All shall fade.
The Nightmare Man
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by The Nightmare Man »

So, any updates for this project?
"When she embraces
Your heart turns to stone
She comes at night when you are all alone
And when she whispers
Your blood shall run cold
You better hide before she finds you"
-- [i]Ice Queen[/i], Within Temptation
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

The Nightmare Man wrote:So, any updates for this project?
Actually, I was recently wondering the same thing. We haven't seen much in the past few months, and I was curious as to what the state of this project was.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Tobias Blackburn
Water Bearer
Water Bearer

Jason of the Fraternity wrote:
The Nightmare Man wrote:So, any updates for this project?
Actually, I was recently wondering the same thing. We haven't seen much in the past few months, and I was curious as to what the state of this project was.
I have the worst luck with some things. A two month bout of pneumonia and the following scramble to catch up with my university projects have left me far behind in getting the rough drafts done, but my notes are complete.

At least I can increase the feat section to refer to the Aberrant feats in Lords of Madness, Races of Eberron and absorb anything new in Dark Tales, Disturbing Legends.
taintedsoul
Conspirator
Conspirator

Post by taintedsoul »

I hope all goes well for you. I use Caliban in my campaigns as often as I can. I look foreward to your netbook. If you need help I am always glad to lend a hand and I am full of great ideas.