Far better
2%

Total votes: 44

Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

It's been a year

Post by Shadowsworn »

So, how good a job do you think that the Fraternity of Shadows has done in replacing Secrets of the Kargatane? State why you feel the way you do as well.

Personally, I think they've done a good job. They're on a level with SotK IMO. The sections on the SotK site have been reproduced here, and even improved in some cases beyond what they were on SotK.
I think that with age, this site will become even better than Secrets of the Kargatane was.
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Ivana_Boritsi
Arch-villain
Arch-villain

Post by Ivana_Boritsi »

I love what the Fraternity of Shadows has done. However, I'm still blown away by the SotK's on-line index of people, places, and things. It makes it really easy to look up stuff.

Oh, yeah. I'm back. :wink:
Now I know, now I can divine. The reign of man is over, and He has come....

-Guy De Maupassant
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

apples and oranges ... if this site is going to wates enery to be compared with SotK site, then the site shouldnt be done at all.

the FoS is great because it's different!
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Charney
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Charney »

I agree with Shoon that both sites are different. But I think it's on the same level. Sometimes there's lots of activity and interesting discussions, other times it slows. It's a good dynamic forum and that what counts.
De retour dans les Brumes, enfin!
Shoon VII
Criminal Mastermind
Criminal Mastermind

Post by Shoon VII »

Charney wrote:I agree with Shoon .
its alwys nice to be vindicated. :D
Perilous to us all are the devices of an art deeper than we possess ourselves.
Shadowsworn
Agent of the Fraternity
Agent of the Fraternity

Post by Shadowsworn »

I thought I added another possibility about how it's not a fair question. Is there a limit on how many options you can have?
"Death is the great equalizer"

Proof that the Grim Reaper is a communist.
Reginald de Curry
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Reginald de Curry »

I'd say over the past year FoS has gotten close to SotK, which is pretty dang good considering the bumpy start.
Pinky! Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but didn't we give up ritual murder for Lent?
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I like how the board is different yet the same from the SOK. Say, have you guys ever considered becoming the official Ravenloft site? Or could you I guess is a better question?
Forgotten Son of Lord Vasili
Nathan of the FoS
Fiendish Enforcer
Fiendish Enforcer

Post by Nathan of the FoS »

Snake wrote:I like how the board is different yet the same from the SOK. Say, have you guys ever considered becoming the official Ravenloft site? Or could you I guess is a better question?
We would have to be approved by White Wolf, and probably Wizards of the Coast too. It would be possible for it to happen, but we have had no strong reason to believe it will.

We can always hope, of course. :)
[b]FEAR JUSTICE.[/b] :elena:
Wiccy of the Fraternity
Membre Retiré
Membre Retiré

Post by Wiccy of the Fraternity »

I beleive that at the end of the day we aim to have a good site for people and keep things moving and working, regardless of whether it is the official site or not. So for me having a good site for people is more important than becoming the official site.

Maybe one day there will be another official site for Ravenloft, you never know. But there is also the chance that there may not be an official site in the future.

Try not to read into my comments though, they are my own and that is all :)
Swallow your soul!
Jason of the Fraternity
Master of Illusion
Master of Illusion

Post by Jason of the Fraternity »

Shadowsworn wrote:Is there a limit on how many options you can have?
Actually, yes. There is a limit on how many options you can have in the poll, but I believe that you can have about ten or eleven choice before reaching that limit. You probably missed accepting your other choice before posting the questionaire.
Snake wrote:I like how the board is different yet the same from the SOK. Say, have you guys ever considered becoming the official Ravenloft site?
Despite his tendency to ramble now-and-again (:wink:), I think that Wiccy summed up our personal objective rather well. We aren't aiming for anything beyond providing a good website for others to come and share ideas. We enjoy doing the netbooks and appreciate the input we get from you, the fans, to them (although we would always like to see more contributions). If we were to ever become the "official" website for Ravenloft, it would be an honor above and beyond our daily enjoyment.
[i]Pandemonium did not reign, it poured![/i]
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

I figured becoming official wasn't your original intention, but the thought just crossed my mind. If it were to happen that would be cool though.
JinnTolser
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by JinnTolser »

I think you're getting pretty close, but the membership level isn't quite that of the Tavern, so the message boards still have a bit of growing to do. You seem to have avoided some of the fighting that went on there though, so in that respect it's an improvement. One thing you don't have as much of is the writers' perspective, which is to be expected given that you aren't the official writers like the K were. Although some of them still hang about here, they aren't around as much (probably due to the fact they don't have to run the board), and therefore their presence is far smaller.
As for the actual site, being unofficial means you can't have some of the goodies the Kargatane site had, but you've pretty much reproduced everything else, in many cases even improved upon it. It won't be too much longer before this site is at the level that one was at, and at that point I think you should look into becoming the official site if it's possible.
Dion of the Fraternity
Lurker Maximus
Lurker Maximus

Post by Dion of the Fraternity »

*sniff* *slurp* I'm so happy people continue to love our site. *dribble* :)

As for being an official site, it would be awesome but I believe it's not an aim of the Fraternity to be one. This site is first and foremost for the fans, to enhance their creativity and simply enjoy a campaign world that's endured a lot. :)
Snake
Evil Genius
Evil Genius

Post by Snake »

Keep in mind that the Kargatane were around for about seven years, as opposed to this board being up for one year.